Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss Oahu! Advice please..

Aloha!

We just moved from Oahu (was stationed at Scholfield Barracks) and were moved in late 2000 to New York (I despise it here!). Now, I find out that my wife is being deployed to Iraq. She only had a year left in the army before we would have to decide wether to re-enlist or leave the Army.

I am nor faced with a few MAJOR choices. I hate it here, and want to move back, but it will just be me and junior. (I am retired/disabled vet.)
    The question is do I stay here in New York and continue to pay $1000 month rent + utilites to live on base (yes, we really pay that! At Ft Drum, the housing is PRIVATIZED, that means we pay ACTUAL RENT to the Army, its NOT FREE ANYMORE - sucks bigs time, place we live in is $600 everyplace else!) while waiting for wife to come back, or do I now sell everything and move BACK to Oahu while wife is overseas and we have $2500+ a month coming and seek full time employment? I really have no desire to stay here, and if we wait until she leaves the military, we would have NO INCOME period.
    (Our son just tuned 6, and will be starting first grade, I have been caring for him FULL TIME for the last few years.) Again, I will be here for at LEAST a year waiting for her to get out, which probably will NOT HAPPEN as they are FORCING people in iraq to STAY in the army against their wills (see http://www.military.com/NewsContent/...092704,00.html )

Also, how is the job market there? Again, I am GUARANTEED at LEAST $2500 a month while wife is in the army.... (so we have income and FREE health insurance + commisary priviledges). Son was born in Hawaii.

I am 37, not getting any younger, nor is my health getting better. I am concerned that if I wait much longer to move back, there will be no point because I will not be physically able to surf, bodyboard, skydive, and do the other things I enjoy because of my age.

If we move in the near future, I have the security of income + health insurance for at least another year.

We are debt free, and have well over $60k in the bank CASH.

Advice? Thanks.... my heart is breaking here in New York, I miss Oahu and Ft Drum New York is hell on earth for me!

God bless....

fivesolas2004@yahoo.com

Re: Miss Oahu! Advice please..

Sounds to me like your mind is made up! I don't think anyone here doubts the appeal of moving back to Hawaii. For the sake of analysis, distasteful as it is, perhaps you might force yourself to inventory the advantages of remaining in New York until your wife's tour is complete? Especially since, as you note, she may not have an opportunity to even decide whether to re-enlist as early as you'd expected?

If you have $2,500 in guaranteed income for at least a year, you could make a go of it here. If you're paying over $1,000 in rent now, paying $1,200 here might not be as big an adjustment -- understanding that you'd probably end up in a nice studio or a good 1/2BR apartment versus a single-family home, if you're not willing to consider or eligible for base housing here. But you also have to add in the higher everyday costs (though access to commissaries and base gas stations helps).

With $60K in the bank, even your worst-case scenario looks pretty good by other relocating dreamers' standards!

The job market is good for entry-level jobs, more challenging for mid-level and management (though I've personally seen a lot of turnover and recruiting lately). I think a more prominent worry about life back in Hawaii would revolve around your son and his schooling.

Good luck. Life's too short to live someplace you hate, but I'm certain you know to plan and research quite a bit to make sure you don't end up out of the frying pan and in the fire.

Comment

Palaina, I read and re-read your post! First of all, Do Not, I repeat. Do Not, listen to anyone who will entice you how to spend your 60K. Period.

I know you love Hawai'i. Your words jumps right off the screen.

Have you done your homework on what it will cost for the transfer? Housing here is scarce too. Prices high as you know. Are you completely disabled or still can generate income?

There are so much questions I want to ask but I don't want to seem too niele. I just want to help.

I'll leave the other questions for the other members.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

You know, when I saw the thread title, I thought this was going to be a request for guidance from a beauty-contest winner...

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
          Palaina, I read and re-read your post! First of all, Do Not, I repeat. Do Not, listen to anyone who will entice you how to spend your 60K. Period.

I know you love Hawai'i. Your words jumps right off the screen.

Have you done your homework on what it will cost for the transfer? Housing here is scarce too. Prices high as you know. Are you completely disabled or still can generate income?

There are so much questions I want to ask but I don't want to seem too niele. I just want to help.

I'll leave the other questions for the other members.

Auntie Lynn

I have leads on jobs, in fact several that I am qualified for, but I must be "on island" to interview of course! I lived there for almost 5 years, no rock fever here! I am ready and more than able to work, just not fit anymore for army service (special ops - if you cannot parachute anymore, they dont need you )

Also, when we move, wife will STILL BE IN IRAQ, so there is no chance of being incomeless for at LEAST a year, and a year in iraq is NEVER just a year (any soldier will tell you that!) So we will be set for 1+ year.

see http://reformationtruth.blogspot.com...d-of-tour.html

I can work, I just cannot lift heavy stuff like I used to (100+ lbs) and I am not able to RUN. You cannot tell I have a disability by looking at me, I have degenrative joint disease from parachuting in the Army. I have a HIDDEN disability. I get 20% disablility check each month from the VA. I would be looking for work on the base in a federal job using my spouse preference/disabled vet preference (which almost GUARANTEES me a job - I have gotten EVERY govt. job I have applied for!)

I have no intentions of spending the $60k, in fact it is lot MORE than $60k, I just stated that to show that I have a BUFFER to fall back on if things get bad.

Do you suggest one area of the island over another? I liked the Mililani and Pearl City area, I cannot remember what schools are close there.

Thanks for your kind words... and aloha!

Comment

Palaina, it seems to me you've already answered your own questions and are looking for positive reinforcement from those of us on HT. That's not a bad thing so I mention it with all due respect.

You said you are guaranteed $2500/mo while your wife serves our country. Regardless of where you live, once your wife leaves the military, that income ceases. You hate NY and it's expensive. You love Hawaii and it's expensive. Am I assuming correctly that you being a retired/disabled vet doesn't affect your ablility to seek full time employment? If that's correct then it all boils down to finding employment that pays enough to give you an adequate standard of living once your wife leaves the military. Or, am I grossly over simplifying this? Decent paying jobs just aren't easy to find in Hawaii.

If you move back to Hawaii once your wife is deployed would you get military housing? If so, do you know what the rent will be? Will the military pay to move your wife's dependents to Hawaii?

I wish I had more time to brainstorm with/for you but I don't. Those are just a few questions off the top of my head. Others will have more, I'm sure. I think your heart has already made the move and your head is trying to justify it!

Comment

[QUOTE=tutusue] If you move back to Hawaii once your wife is deployed would you get military housing? If so, do you know what the rent will be? Will the military pay to move your wife's dependents to Hawaii?
              QUOTE]

I will not be able to live on base, my wife does not have ORDERS for hawaii, we are moving on our own $$$, and at our own expense. I will be moving only clothes and personal items, no household items or large things.

Proverbs 11:14 Where there is no guidance, a people falls, but in an abundance of counselors there is safety

Its always best to ask those in the know, and I can find no better advice then asking those on this board

He lawai`a no ke kai papa`u, he pôkole ke aho;
              he lawai`a no ke kai hohonu he loa ke aho.

(A person whose knowledge is shallow does not have much,
              but he, whose knowledge is deep, does.)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                You know, when I saw the thread title, I thought this was going to be a request for guidance from a beauty-contest winner...

Or something like that! Like who wants to be Miss Oahu?!!
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                  Or something like that! Like who wants to be Miss Oahu?!!
                  Plenny young ladies. I see 'em in my office all the time. I just wish children's beauty pageants were outlawed.

Comment

Originally posted by Palaina
                    Aloha!

Advice? Thanks.... my heart is breaking here in New York, I miss Oahu and Ft Drum New York is hell on earth for me!

God bless....
                    Move Home brah,You'll be much happier.

Comment

Fort Drum sucks. Move while you still are able to (and before you get snowed in)

You are a vet so get with a counselor and see what the VA can help you with. They helped me once when I had a major crisis. Lots of help that you probably do not even know exists.

Lots of civil service jobs on Oahu. You already know how to work your way through that mess. That is your shining light right now.

If your home of record is Hawaii then waiting a year will help offset the moving costs when your wife returns. If not, then there is no advantage waiting for the Army to move you.

Any Hawaii area vets want to chime in???

Focus and discipline. You have been through much harder things (like jumping out of a perfectly good airplane). You will get through this..........
                      You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Palaina, You have been on my mind all day. I am a mother of soldiers. I'm also a member of a National Military Moms Support Group. When you transfer here to Oahu, please feel free to contact me before and anytime. I will help you as much as I can and ask my children to assist as well. I will PM you with my phone number.

Good Luck

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Yeah I feel for you man, had to live in hell myself for 8 years, imagine that crap! Good to know there is a man with feelings similar to my own. What is it about NY that you hate- the racism, brusquness of people, filthy natural environment, lack of wildlife, overdevelopment, or how close-minded the residents are?
                          "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
                          "But I can't even read good."
                          "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
                          "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Whitepoint3rchum
                            Yeah I feel for you man, had to live in hell myself for 8 years, imagine that crap! Good to know there is a man with feelings similar to my own. What is it about NY that you hate- the racism, brusquness of people, filthy natural environment, lack of wildlife, overdevelopment, or how close-minded the residents are?
                            New Jersey?
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitepoint3rchum
                              Yeah, I am curious like Craig............

So.........with all those years you got under your belt, could you please tell me what "hell" is?
                              You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Working...
                              X