Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worried about son's grades at school this year!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worried about son's grades at school this year!

I can't believe it. My boy is only going into the third grade, yet I find myself all futless over it! Why? Because I love my kids so much, and we don't wanna see our kids fail in life, right?
    My boy has come along ways in a few years. He never went to pre-school, I kept him out on purpose. I wanted to teach him my values, not have some stranger(teacher) teaching their values to my kid. Plus, I love my kid so much I wanted to keep him around me as long as possible. Now I need to decide if that plan backfired on me or not? All in all my boy is a good boy, he's just a slow learner...and that is where my concern is! He knows numbers really well, math is not a problem. Like most seven year old boys, his pinmanship resembles that of "chicken scratch".

What can I do to help keep my child ahead of the curve, or at least on par with the learning curve?

Re: Worried about son's grades at school this year!

Is it the teacher's assessment that your son is a slow learner or is that your assessment? Just curious.

Comment

It may also be that your son just doesn't do as well in the structured school environment as some other kids. Really hard to say...but it strikes me that seven is a hard age for judging where any child is "on the curve" - their progress over the next three or four years will give a better sense of that, while there is still time to work on adjusting their study habits and the like.

Comment

Why did you assume pre-school teachers teach values you wouldn't approve of?
        “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
        http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

7 yrs old an goin into 3rd grade.... did you start him a little early? trying to think... I know all about slow learners my oldest is a slow learner he also has a diagnosed (thru the school educators)memory problem. I ended up having him repeat 3rd grade for 2 reasons
          1. we moved to a higher standard of learning schooldistrict/state
          2. like your son his writing is was chicken scratch an he was behind.

while it took some getting used to an making sure he no feel stupid (his words) an pushing him for work hard he now is at a level that he can work from

maybe talking to the school counselors an principal an discuss having him repeat 2nd grade but with a different teacher so it still has the feel of a new class situation
          Support Lung Cancer Research

Comment

Not putting a child in preschool for at least 1 or 2 years should be a crime. You are reaping what you sow.

My daughter started KG today. 3 years of preschool at Sonshine was awesome. She aced the assessment test today. 100% including a couple simple math problems, plus reading at a 1st grade level.

If you have 6 hours per day, EVERYDAY, to devote to your preschoolers education, then by all means, teach them at home. I know that I only have about 1-2 hours EVERYDAY to devote towards educating my daughter.

But if you work for a living, then you are just fooling yourself if you think you have that much extra time EVERYDAY.

PS - It's not the school system that is the problem in Hawaii. Because if just one child graduates High School and goes on to Harvard, then isn't it safe to say that the schools are a success. The problem with Hawaii Schools can be found in the mirror.
            FutureNewsNetwork.com
            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
              Not putting a child in preschool for at least 1 or 2 years should be a crime. You are reaping what you sow.
              My daughter started KG today. 3 years of preschool at Sonshine was awesome. She aced the assessment test today. 100% including a couple simple math problems, plus reading at a 1st grade level.
              Not to in anyway diminish the congratulations due your family, Tim...and risking the wrath that comes with personal horn-tootage:

I did not attend a pre-school, and entered Kindergarten at the usual age of five. PRIOR to walking in the doors of that public schoolroom, I was already capable of doing addition and subtraction, as well as reading and writing at a fairly coherent level; I learned how to read at the age of three, in fact.

Don't know why, can't explain it - but it had nothing to do with pre-school.
              (Easy explanation: I be one freak of nature. Oh - and my handwriting ALWAYS sucked, and it's getting worse.)
              Last edited by Leo Lakio; July 31, 2006, 12:52 PM.

Comment

All kids mature at different rates. The only advantage kids who attend preschool have over those that don't is that they are socially more prepared to deal with elementary school, not that they are any smarter by then. There are all kinds of things you can do to encourage a "slow learner" (has he actually been diagnosed as such by a professional, or is that your opinion based on the performance of other kids?) Lots of times the really smart kids get bored so they don't do their schoolwork because they aren't challenged enough. If he is diagnosed with ADD or ADHD (both chemical imbalances and having nothing to do with how smart he is), then there are things that can be done to help him learn better. Don't be hard on yourself. You did what you thought was best for your son at the time, and I'm sure when he grows up, he won't begrudge the time you spent with him teaching him your values.

As for his handwriting, heh, encourage him to write letters to friends and relatives by hand. Don't let him use the computer. Why? Because I used to have beautiful, legible writing, but now that I use a computer almost exclusively for word processing, my handwriting has deteriorated to the point where even I can't deciper it!

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

PS - It's not the school system that is the problem in Hawaii. Because if just one child graduates High School and goes on to Harvard, then isn't it safe to say that the schools are a success. The problem with Hawaii Schools can be found in the mirror.
                  The S-B reported on a pre-kindergarten program being tested, which lends some support to Tim's comment: http://starbulletin.com/2006/07/31/news/story01.html
                  the "junior-k" concept, which is based on the belief that students who take that extra year in the kindergarten ranks will encounter fewer learning problems as they move up the grades than if they were pushed too fast. At the same time, it removes the stigma usually associated with being "held back."

Comment

Why? Because I used to have beautiful, legible writing, but now that I use a computer almost exclusively for word processing, my handwriting has deteriorated to the point where even I can't deciper it!
                    I was always one of those kids that had terrible handwriting! I was always told I should be a Doctor because of the way they tended to write so sloppily on prescription forms.

What I have found... is since using the computer... my grammar has become weaker. My fingers don't type as fast as my mind flies... thus I tend to leave out words or make simple typos that I know I should know better... ie; they're, there, and their....etc.

Its funny how many people get on me about the manini things in life.

Do I care... not really... Should I care... probably

I never excelled in Elementary Schools in the mainland... however, when I came here to Hawaii... it seems as though I had no problem getting good grades in College!

In fact... it seems as though many of my High School Courses were much tougher than most of my College Classes

Comment

no, you got it all wrong! Putting a child at that age in pre-school is criminal! How to you expect to bond with your child? These first few years of life are so important to the development of the parent/child relationship. Besides, my oldest daughter never went pre-school and she's a Stanford graduate.

I'm happy for you that your child aced the assesment test. But see how your child reponds to you during their teens years. I tell you from past experience, if you neglected them when they are young. You'll pay dearly
                      later in the form of an out of control teenage kid. They blame the parents for not being there when they were looking for love!

If you have 6 hours per day, EVERYDAY, to devote to your preschoolers education, then by all means, teach them at home. I know that I only have about 1-2 hours EVERYDAY to devote towards educating my daughter.
                      is that one to two hours a day period for all contact with your child? Or is it just towards their development?

But if you work for a living, then you are just fooling yourself if you think you have that much extra time EVERYDAY.
                      workings a good excuse! You kid is only young once...I made that mistake before with one of my kids! You need to find time for them no matter what!
                      are you truly aware of the public school school system in Hawaii?

Comment

Tim Kona.... you independently wealthy or what?.... me I was looking into getting my 4 yr old some more structured preschool activity at least 3-4 days a week. geeez man for half days it starts at $89. a week for 3 days only half time. that $356 a month that I dont buy food with...thats way more cash than we have running around here. should kids get more education sure... but if it is SO DAMN important why isnt it part of our public school system and FREE?
                        Support Lung Cancer Research

Comment

I have an elementary-age son, too, and would advise the following:

1. Read to him every day for at least 30 minutes. Have him read to you if he will. Go to the library at least once a week. Borrow audiobooks for him to listen to. Seek advice from the librarian on good books for your son.

2. Don't let him know that you think he writes "chicken scratch" or that he's a "slow learner". Those labels don't motivate kids.

3. Regarding his handwriting, take a look at this article. It might be helpful for you.

4. Regarding his "slow learning", I would talk to the principal about it immediately (I think your school year has already begun, right?). Do not delay it! The school can perform an assessment for a learning disability. Also, as Miulang stated, it could simply be a matter of him maturing later than his peers.

He's very fortunate to have a loving parent! Good luck with him during this new school year.
                          * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                          - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Originally posted by kaneohegirl
                            Tim Kona.... you independently wealthy or what?.... me I was looking into getting my 4 yr old some more structured preschool activity at least 3-4 days a week. geeez man for half days it starts at $89. a week for 3 days only half time. that $356 a month that I dont buy food with...thats way more cash than we have running around here. should kids get more education sure... but if it is SO DAMN important why isnt it part of our public school system and FREE?

*amen*

In Southern California up that amount to $650 or more a month for ONE kid! It's really difficult and when you have to put two in at a time, it's nearly impossible. *sigh*
                            I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Prohibitive childcare is one barrier. Another is distance, conflicts with work schedules and pickup times, concerns of quality wrt care, and on and on.

Every parent should treat the time with their children as one of enriching learning opportunities. One of my favorite books is The Well-Trained Mind. Whether or not a parent decides to homeschool, the fact is that every committed parent participates in their children's learning experiences. I mahalo that homeschooling has taken such a hold on society that it has created a market of materials out there. I have used them since my eldest was in kindy, but it wasn't until she was in fifth grade that I understood the industry term "homeschool". The buzzword that applies to what we do is "afterschool".

I have followed many of this book's recommendations to support additional learning opportunities for math (my favorite subject) and language arts (my other favorite subject).

Good luck.

aloha, Pua'i

pax

Comment

Working...
                              X