Black v. white v. shades of gray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black v. white v. shades of gray

Here is an interesting study of why people who see only black or white (or right or wrong) think the way they do. The study was done using political candidates, but I'm pretty sure the conclusions are accurate in other aspects of peoples' lives too.

"...Although it seems paradoxical that people would want to make themselves feel poorly, Kaplan said partisans have a strong interest in feeling poorly about the candidate they are not going to vote for as that cements their belief that they are doing the right thing.

...The result reflects a larger phenomenon in which people routinely discount information that threatens their preexisting beliefs, said Emory University psychologist Drew Westen, who has conducted brain-scan experiments that show partisans swiftly spot hypocrisy and inconsistencies -- but only in the opposing candidate.

"..."The brain was trying to find a solution that would get rid of the distress and absolve the candidate of doing something slimy," Westen said. "They would twirl the emotional kaleidoscope until it gave them a picture that was comfortable."

So those of us who tend to look for the shades of gray in things are really in BIG trouble!

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Black v. white v. shades of gray

The actual study referred to in the article was conducted in 2004 and was covered quite extensively in this article in the NY Times. As far as I can find, the study hasn't yet been submitted for publication in any scientific journals so conclusions based on the research are still premature and speculative. Interesting though and certainly likely to be of particular interest to political operatives.

Comment

I see the world in shades of plaid.

Must be my Scots ancestry.

Or LSD flashbacks.

Comment

I still like my rose colored glasses (vision).
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
          The actual study referred to in the article was conducted in 2004 and was covered quite extensively in this article in the NY Times. As far as I can find, the study hasn't yet been submitted for publication in any scientific journals ...
          Oh, it was submitted. It just wasn't accepted.

Comment

and I... still like my rose colored glasses (microwave oven pot throwing ballerina aluminum).

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
              and I... still like my rose colored glasses (microwave oven pot throwing ballerina aluminum).
              Okay. Now that was definitely an LSD flashback!
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Mormon memories strick whenevaz, brah. no can control.

Comment

Working...
                X