No announcement yet.

MTV turns 25! Your favorite MTV moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MTV turns 25! Your favorite MTV moment?

I remember being in Washington when the whole "I want my MTV!" thing came out....

What is your favorite all time MTV video?

I will start it out by saying that yes...the Michael Jackson "Thriller" video is right up there...

however, now that I'm older and have 20 + years of MTV under my belt... I will have to say that one of my all time videos is..."Teen Spirit by Nirvana" I guess it was my prime MTV viewing days when the song got popular.

Favorite MTV Moment?

Pee Wee Hermans appearance at an Awards show after his bust for his deed in a XXX theater!

Re: MTV turns 25! Your favorite MTV moment?

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
    What is your favorite all time MTV video?
    Billy Idol's "Cradle of Love".

Favorite MTV Moment?
    Adam Sandler as "The Studboy" on MTV's original gameshow "Remote Control".

Comment

There's a great run down of great MTV moments in this article from USA Today.

Comment

My favorite MTV moment was when my friends and I all sat down and watched the first broadcast. I guess I was ... what, 21? And I was in a band then, writing songs and playing lead guitar in Bellingham, Wash., with four other women in the NeoFem Rock Band, the M.O.'s! (later known as Pink Noise)

Manoa, you were there, too, probably ... you're from Bellingham. As are a lot of my Dad's Swedish kin, who landed there when they immigrated.

Video didn't exactly "kill" the radio star (the first MTV video) -- it just gave really good-looking, talentless people a chance to annoy us more. Yeah, then again, maybe it did kill the really good artists. Janis never would have made it on MTV (she was a size 8, that fat f-ing pig), or Woodie Guthrie, or the Beatles, even. Or ... so many. Well, maybe the Beatles ... they were pretty cute. Aretha Franklin would have been ignored -- too fat. What a cow! Imagine a world with no Aretha. That is today's music/video industry, damn it to hell.
        And today there are Aretha Franklins walking around, and they can't get record contracts because they're fat sows (10 lbs. over starvation point), so who gives a fuck? Meanwhile, Paris Freaking No-Talent Whore Hilton gets a record deal, because the recording software can make people who can't sing SING IN TUNE! It's so damned sick and screwed up! The whole thing is sickening.

And yeah, I do remember, because I was THERE, when MTV played MUSIC VIDEOS of actual MUSICIANS. It was so fun. All gone, now it's just a fashion show of bad grammar and aggressive, anti-woman, anti-man, crotch-grabbing macho bullshit. To hell with it, and to hell with the idiots who think "that's entertainment!" Screw them all.

Comment

I had (still do?) a crush on Martha Quinn.
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I used to like the first 5 years or so of WTBS "Night Tracks" weekend video show better than MTV in their prime. There were no annoying VJs on "Night Tracks" when the show first aired.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

here's a il ditty from da ol days.

trivia;

what W.A. movie does this have semblances of?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkVY4DLw1sI

Comment

the prohetically title thang that started it all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmjuGIVyP4Q

Ricky nelson has the first 'rock Video" a term coined by the big bopper.

Comment

Manoa, you were there, too, probably ... you're from Bellingham. As are a lot of my Dad's Swedish kin, who landed there when they immigrated.
                  Dang maddie... you scaring me... I pm'd you... you sure you weren't one of the ladies that used to hang out with my mom?

Just thought about it... I wouldn't have even been of age to get into a club that you might have been playing in then... I was 11 if MTV's turning 25!

(I was probably running around the viking union while my mom was in class!)

Manoa
                  Last edited by damontucker; July 31, 2006, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
                    I had (still do?) a crush on Martha Quinn.
                    I agree. I was young enough to have crushes, old enough to know that a person like Nina Blackwood would eventually leave me for a roadie.
                    You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Martha Quinn, Nina Blackwood, JJ Jackson, Alan Hunter,and Mark Goodwin started it all. Back then it was awesome....a video jukebox! Now MTV is crap!
                      "I want my OLD MTV!" We used to have it on all day, during partys, etc. because you always had the latest hits playing.

The "moon man " is spinning in his grave......RIP MTV
                      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                      Flickr

Comment

Dang maddie... you scaring me... I pm'd you... you sure you weren't one of the ladies that used to hang out with my mom?
                        PM me again and tell me your mom's name! I got a huge kick out of your PM. This is too funny. Did your mom go to the clubs? But they weren't called "clubs," they were called "dive bars where my band played."

ETA: They're playing the first day's broadcast of MTV on VH1 right now. I'm DVR-ing it. Wow, that's a lot of acronyms.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                          Video didn't exactly "kill" the radio star (the first MTV video) -- it just gave really good-looking, talentless people a chance to annoy us more. Yeah, then again, maybe it did kill the really good artists. Janis never would have made it on MTV (she was a size 8, that fat f-ing pig), or Woodie Guthrie, or the Beatles, even. Or ... so many. Well, maybe the Beatles ... they were pretty cute. Aretha Franklin would have been ignored -- too fat. What a cow! Imagine a world with no Aretha. That is today's music/video industry, damn it to hell.
                          And today there are Aretha Franklins walking around, and they can't get record contracts because they're fat sows (10 lbs. over starvation point), so who gives a fuck? Meanwhile, Paris Freaking No-Talent Whore Hilton gets a record deal, because the recording software can make people who can't sing SING IN TUNE! It's so damned sick and screwed up! The whole thing is sickening.
                          And yeah, I do remember, because I was THERE, when MTV played MUSIC VIDEOS of actual MUSICIANS. It was so fun. All gone, now it's just a fashion show of bad grammar and aggressive, anti-woman, anti-man, crotch-grabbing macho bullshit. To hell with it, and to hell with the idiots who think "that's entertainment!" Screw them all.
                          Maddie, I'm not exactly sure...how again do you actually feel about the music industry? Reminds me of Dick's rant about the Island airlines...honestly, I enjoy when you and some others go off like this, because I find myself in agreement with you, frankly.
                          Originally posted by MadAzza
                          I was in a band then, writing songs and playing lead guitar in Bellingham, Wash., with four other women in the NeoFem Rock Band, the M.O.'s! (later known as Pink Noise)
                          Did you ever play at / go to the Up-And-Up Tavern?

Comment

Favorite video probably has to be Guns 'N Roses' "November Rain".

I can't remember what video I saw first on MTV. I was, after all, less than 2 years old when it debut.

Favorite MTV moment? The First Real World.

[Heather's pager goes off]

Julie: Do you sell drugs?

The Madonna kissing Britney thing at the VMA is kind of up there too.
                            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                            We're not here to mess around
                            Boston, you know we love you madly
                            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                            You know we couldn't live without you
                            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Did you ever play at / go to the Up-And-Up Tavern?
                              Make that the "WORLD FAMOUS UP-and-UP Tavern" that no one has heard of outside of people from the Northwest!

Comment

Working...
                              X