I think I got problems!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I got problems!!!

Working as a Waikiki Beachboy I seem to get my fair share of coral cuts. Three weeks back, I received my first 'Coral Cut', since our wonderful Mayor decided to dump the tourist's raw sewage, aka 'Brown Trout', via the Ala Wai some months back. Guess what, I'm on my fourth course of Antibiotics!! I take a cocktail of two antibiotics twice a day. Usually the morning course I vomit it up. I'm not sure if this is a flesh eating staph infection or no. Doesn't seem to be like the normal strain. I'm totally unable to clean it out! Even hot compresses of water & epsom salt doesn't seem to work?

Anyboy have any home remedies for Staph Infection?

mahalo

Re: I think I got problems!!!

There is no "home remedy" for staph.

Yikes, sounds awful, though! To be fair (about the whole sewage thing), even "clean" ocean water has all kinds of nasty stuff in it. You can get an infection anytime, not just after a sewage dump.

I keep a tube of Bactroban (available by prescription) to put on coral cuts, or other cuts and abrasions.

Comment

You can try boosting your immune system with echinaceae. I checked on some homeopathic websites and it won't cure staph but it's supposed to boost your immune system. Better check with your doc before you start using it, though, because it might interfere with the antibiotics and make things worse.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

GSE or Grapefruit seed extract should help. I think Down to Earth may have it.
        Of course you can always try Noni.

Comment

I use tea tree oil for coral cuts. Soon as I get them, just dab some on. Works good. Got only one scar and that was when I used Aloe Vera in the old days.

If the antibiotics are causing you not to be "regular" then you need to supplement your diet with lactobacillus and acidophhilus cuz the antibiotics don't discriminate between 'good' and 'bad' bacteria, they just take em' all out.
          Last edited by nachodaddy; August 1, 2006, 04:02 PM. Reason: added lower GI stuff
          You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy
            [...]If the antibiotics are causing you not to be "regular" then you need to supplement your diet with lactobacillus and acidophhilus cuz the antibiotics don't discriminate between 'good' and 'bad' bacteria, they just take em' all out.
            Antibiotics also irritate the heck outta the stomach. Best not to take 'em on an empty tummy. Even then, I can't take them. The side effects, for me, are worse than the illness.

Comment

I hope you have a full recovery as soon as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                There is no "home remedy" for staph.
                perhaps not, but I've found in my surf travels over the years different stuff(home remedies) from different countries seem to eleviate some of the discomfort

Yikes, sounds awful, though! To be fair (about the whole sewage thing), even "clean" ocean water has all kinds of nasty stuff in it. You can get an infection anytime, not just after a sewage dump.
                Actually MadAzza, unless things have changed since the early 70's. Staph has never been cultured in the ocean! Do you remember how the Mayor decided it wasn't necessary to test the sand. Why? Because Waikiki Beach as we know it would have to be shut down. Human waste, Staph, and a host of other creepy things lay in wait in the sand to attack your immune system. In the sand, these things stay alive for 4 to 8 weeks!That's why 'Team Mufi', decided not to test the sand...it would have caused a pannick felt all the way accross the ocean! Mufi was able to dodge the bullet over that Ala Wai death...all in the name of tourism! Kinda makes me sick just thinking about it!

Also, there is nothing fair about what the Mayor did to the community by dumping the tourist's "Brown Trout", on us. If I had any authority, the Mufster would have gotten his walking papers after that episode.

I keep a tube of Bactroban (available by prescription) to put on coral cuts, or other cuts and abrasions.
                what in it that you need to have a prescription for it? I'll ask my doctor today about it. I have an appt. before noon. I hope they don't wanna put me in the hospital....because that's just not happening! If go in the hospital, my wife would be unable to go to work during that time. Normally my wife works a swing shift at the Duty Free/Galleria third floor, and I watch our two boys aged 7 year old and a seven month old baby while she works. Can't do that if I'm in the hospital!

I've probably have had a staph infection thirty times or more since the early 70's on Maui.

Comment

Originally posted by Beachboy
                  Working as a Waikiki Beachboy I seem to get my fair share of coral cuts. Three weeks back, I received my first 'Coral Cut', since our wonderful Mayor decided to dump the tourist's raw sewage, aka 'Brown Trout', via the Ala Wai some months back. Guess what, I'm on my fourth course of Antibiotics!! I take a cocktail of two antibiotics twice a day. Usually the morning course I vomit it up. I'm not sure if this is a flesh eating staph infection or no. Doesn't seem to be like the normal strain. I'm totally unable to clean it out! Even hot compresses of water & epsom salt doesn't seem to work?

Anyboy have any home remedies for Staph Infection?

mahalo
                  Oh my. ICU nurse here. No home remedies, just thirty years or so of experience.

Get back to the doc and tell him or her what is happening. BEFORE you get all septic and end up in the Queens ER with a 104 temp, out of your head, and booked for an amputation.

Really. I hate to scare you (oh dammit maybe I really DO want to scare the crap out of you), but this could get ugly.

Be safe. Take care, and let us know how things go.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
                    Oh my. ICU nurse here. No home remedies, just thirty years or so of experience.

Get back to the doc and tell him or her what is happening. BEFORE you get all septic and end up in the Queens ER with a 104 temp, out of your head, and booked for an amputation.

Really. I hate to scare you (oh dammit maybe I really DO want to scare the crap out of you), but this could get ugly.

Be safe. Take care, and let us know how things go.
                    since the early seventies I have caught staph countless times. I've got to tell you I've been in worse shape before. Back on Maui in about 1974, I got a severe case of Staph while I was in Hana. I scrapped my shin up against a lava rock...next morning it was oozing pus already! Two weeks later I was told that I had what was called a "dry" Gangrene on my shin. I was young and rather stupid back then. The following morning that I discovered that my shin was infected...I decided I'd eat some 'Magic Mushrooms', that they would take me through this mild discomfort, and at the sametime enjoy a Don Q. experience of some sort from the Mushrooms. What a mistake that was! Those Mushrooms acted like fertilizer for Staph infection....my temp. quickly rose to 104 degrees! I was unable to drive back to my home in Lahaina...fever had me all lopey!

I do truly appreciate your concern. I do also voice my concerns over my MD and his lack of knowledge of Staph infections. Unless medical procedures has changed since the seventies...I'm a bit worried about assesment of my leg. Today he(my doc) had me get an x-ray after my follow-up visit today. This is what makes this Staph infection different from any other one I had, and also raised the red flag about my doctor's knowledge about Staph infections too. Most staph infection I have had since the very first one back in the 70's always got that yuky yellow stuff in the middle of the infected puka. I was always told to clean it out daily, then wrap it up to keep it clean. Well with this infection, I've been unable to clean out that yellow stuff!? I even used my garden hose with the nozzle on full power to try and clean it out...no luck! Hot, hot compresses with Epsom salt was slowly starting to make that yellow stuff losen up. Myy doctor today tells me, "no ,no don't do that. That's 'Mother Natures' Band- aids you're pulling off! I didn't want to "front him off", to my wife as some sort of a "quack". But what he told me was wrong for treatment.

I'm starting my third course of antibiotic cocktail in the morning. What also makes this case of staph different besides the yellow stuff refusing to come out of puka is...no fever whatsoever. Plus no pain in lymph glands?! But ankle & foot are pretty swallon.

Comment

helluva story beachboy.

yea. ya don wanna go into any hopsital and mention
                      home remedy.
                      saw the cure on da internet.
                      read this on a web site..

they will just smirk and scoff atcha as they did to me when i mentioned that...

Comment

Actually MadAzza, unless things have changed since the early 70's. Staph has never been cultured in the ocean!
                        No, but there is all kinds of nasty stuff in the water, ain't there? Which was my main point. Staph is everywhere, so if you cut yourself on coral, then walk on the sand or a walkway, you can get zinged. If I understand correctly. The Bactroban is only for right after you get cut. Once it's infected, it won't help.
                        what in it that you need to have a prescription for it?
                        I don't understand the question. It's a topical antibiotic.

I'll ask my doctor today about it. I have an appt. before noon. I hope they don't wanna put me in the hospital....because that's just not happening! If go in the hospital, my wife would be unable to go to work during that time. Normally my wife works a swing shift at the Duty Free/Galleria third floor, and I watch our two boys aged 7 year old and a seven month old baby while she works. Can't do that if I'm in the hospital!
                        I see your point. It'll be much easier to do all that if you're dead.

Comment

I see your point. It'll be much easier to do all that if you're dead.
                          Or at the very least, being unburdened by a limb or two via amputation. It may be a little too late to think this time about contingency plans like lining up friends or family who might be able to help out if either you or your wife gets sick and has to go to the hospital, but if it ends up that you are able to fight off the infection without going to the hospital, it might be a wake up call to make some contingency plans in case either you or your wife (heaven forbid!) should be incapacitated somewhere down the road.

Miulang
                          Last edited by Miulang; August 3, 2006, 09:12 AM.
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

since the early seventies I have caught staph countless times. I've got to tell you I've been in worse shape before. Back on Maui in about 1974, I got a severe case of Staph while I was in Hana. I scrapped my shin up against a lava rock...next morning it was oozing pus already! Two weeks later I was told that I had what was called a "dry" Gangrene on my shin. I was young and rather stupid back then. The following morning that I discovered that my shin was infected...I decided I'd eat some 'Magic Mushrooms', that they would take me through this mild discomfort, and at the sametime enjoy a Don Q. experience of some sort from the Mushrooms. What a mistake that was! Those Mushrooms acted like fertilizer for Staph infection....my temp. quickly rose to 104 degrees! I was unable to drive back to my home in Lahaina...fever had me all lopey!

I do truly appreciate your concern. I do also voice my concerns over my MD and his lack of knowledge of Staph infections. Unless medical procedures has changed since the seventies...I'm a bit worried about assesment of my leg. Today he(my doc) had me get an x-ray after my follow-up visit today. This is what makes this Staph infection different from any other one I had, and also raised the red flag about my doctor's knowledge about Staph infections too. Most staph infection I have had since the very first one back in the 70's always got that yuky yellow stuff in the middle of the infected puka. I was always told to clean it out daily, then wrap it up to keep it clean. Well with this infection, I've been unable to clean out that yellow stuff!? I even used my garden hose with the nozzle on full power to try and clean it out...no luck! Hot, hot compresses with Epsom salt was slowly starting to make that yellow stuff losen up. Myy doctor today tells me, "no ,no don't do that. That's 'Mother Natures' Band- aids you're pulling off! I didn't want to "front him off", to my wife as some sort of a "quack". But what he told me was wrong for treatment.

I'm starting my third course of antibiotic cocktail in the morning. What also makes this case of staph different besides the yellow stuff refusing to come out of puka is...no fever whatsoever. Plus no pain in lymph glands?! But ankle & foot are pretty swallon.
                            Now you have me really concerned.

"Mother Nature's BANDAID"??? We routinely flush out debris and nasty fluids from wounds. To leave them in there provides a happy breeding ground for more organisms. We also debride wounds, removing dead tissue, for the same reason. Not with a garden hose of course---we kinda like the sterile equipment/sterile fluid method.

And what makes you so very sure this is "staph"? Was the wound ever cultured to make sure you're getting the right antibiotic? It might be some other nasty bug that is totally resistant to the antibiotics you are taking.

It sends up a red flag when you say the doc wanted to have it x-rayed---this makes me think osteomyelitis, an infection that has gone to the bone. Very difficult to treat----weeks of IV antibiotics (now do-able at home, BTW, if your insurance will pay for it).

A suggestion? Take a ride over to the Queen's ER. See what they have to say about it. A friend of my husband's was viciously attacked by a tree branch while doing yard work and was being treated by his private doc. The wound was horrible---arm was puffy, red, and the wound was full of pus. His private doc had given him oral antibiotics and a cream. The friend went over to Queens, where they lanced the mess, flushed out all the garbage, gave him a dose of IV antibiotics in the ER, and sent him home with a different oral antibiotic and an appointment for follow-up.

He's fine now, but I don't know what might have happened if he had continued that course of treatment his private doc prescribed.

Not to terrify you or anything but this could lead to amputation or worse. Really.

Comment

Not trying to scare you but there are two kids who got cuts at beaches on different ends of the island battling flesh eating disease at the hospital where my wife works.

Where did you go see the doctor at?

Comment

Working...
                              X