Hi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi

im new here and needed help......im trying to translate "family first" into hawaiian but im not sure i know its something like 'ohana mua or 'ohana mua loa........but i just cant seem to get it translated as a phrase...........id appreciate the help thanks

Re: Hi

I won't even attempt a translation but, regardless, welcome to HawaiiThreads!

Comment

thanks.......so does anyone got any help for me?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
        I won't even attempt a translation but, regardless, welcome to HawaiiThreads!
        methinks it's another hit and run. Hi, need help. no help? thanks fer nuttin, by.

Comment

Ah, Kimo. The sharp, rusty nail on the back corner of the welcome wagon.

Anyway. "Family first" is a pretty vague statement. Are you looking for an imperative, like, "Put family first!" Or, "Families go first!" Hawaiian, being a very poetic language, doesn't easily lend itself to catchphrases and bumper-sticker blurbs.

Comment

never the rose without the thorn.
            a degree of scepticism is the response to those newbies whose only post is yelling "a little help here?!"

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
              "Family first" is a pretty vague statement.
              quite. In engrish it implies something fairly definite.
              Translated to Hawaiian? may end up with "the first family"
              huh?
              and what then after the translation?
              Whatchoo mean family first? who ever said family was second?
              of course family first. what you implying?
              You didn't think family came first beFORE you spread around this Hawaiian translation?

and then of course there is the whole reason for translating it. What is your motivation?
              Is this for Hawaiians to understand you? No? then why translate?
              Is it because Hawaiians don't understand you? So you must translate?
              No? Must be to impress outsiders.
              Wow. what does that Hawaiian phrase mean?
              "Family first!"
              wow. I think I am going to use it too!

Comment

Originally posted by halfinchstars
                im new here and needed help......im trying to translate "family first" into hawaiian but im not sure i know its something like 'ohana mua or 'ohana mua loa........but i just cant seem to get it translated as a phrase...........id appreciate the help thanks...thanks.......so does anyone got any help for me?
                Can't help with `olelo Hawai`i, but I'd wager there are folks who would encourage improvement in your English first ( just being a smart-@$$ here!)

Comment

1. The family is the reason/meaning.
                  2. The family is the foundation.

1. 'O ka 'ohana ke kumu.
                  2. 'O ka 'ohana ke kahua.

These are declarative statements.

pax

Comment

uh Pua'i, as opposed to what other kind of statements... could they be?
                    Last edited by kimo55; August 4, 2006, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                      uh Pua'i, as opposed to what other kind of statements... could they be?
                      Versus, say, imperative, which is how I interpreted the request. "Put family first," or "Make family first." So, again, it's a pretty fuzzy request considering the complexities of the language.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                        Versus, say, imperative,
                        no, those statements she made couldn't be imperative.

Comment

better they go with the lilo and stitch slogan;
                          no child gets left on their behind.

Comment

Lol I didn't know I was going to subject myself to criticizm. I thank the ones who further explored my question, with more questions. I'm looking for "to put family first" as a statement. I am very family oriented, I love the hawaiian culture and language, and wanted a tattoo to incorporate all that. So if there are any nice forum members out there, who would be kind enough to help me out. I would appreciate it. I hope my punctuation and grammar was much better for those whom it bothered, "<----insert sarcasm here".........

thanks
                            Last edited by halfinchstars; August 6, 2006, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X