Political Sign Waving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Political Sign Waving

It's a hallmark of Hawaii politics: sign wavers, lining the side of the street, waving and smiling at passing motorists to rally support for a candidate. Sure, you've got roadside rallies and protests everywhere else, and political signs in yards and on buildings are nothing unusual... but I think the huge investment of time and money spent on into showing numbers on the street here is unique. A hundred people on S. Beretania with the same sign, "Vote Joe," inspiring honks of support, prompting the occasional rude gesture, and, as many complain, causing a traffic hazard.

It's hotly debated every election season, with bills regularly proposed to restrict or outright ban the practice. Paradoxically, while polls have often shown voters dislike it, candidates basically conclude that it's a political neccessity. And some supporters, believe it or not, actually like doing it.

So, as Election 2006 looms, sign wavers are showing up all over once again... some starting weeks ago, even. Some sign-waving groups are impressively huge. Some signs are particularly memorable. Some snarl traffic and go overboard in trying to get attention. So here's a thread dedicated to a truly local political tradition.

Do you sign-wave? Do you like it, hate it, or just ignore it? And have any recent deployments caught your eye, for good or bad reasons?

Re: Political Sign Waving

Originally posted by pzarquon
    It's a hallmark of Hawaii politics: sign wavers, lining the side of the street, waving and smiling at passing motorists to rally support for a candidate...
    Do you sign-wave? Do you like it, hate it, or just ignore it?
    You could remove the word "Hawaii" from your first sentence, pz.
    Answering the questions: nope; ignore.
    But I'll bet kimo55 might have something more to add...

Comment

dun bodda me. I like the 'contact' afforded by this practice that brings back memories. usta do it small keed time for Diana Hansen back in the late sixties or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
        You could remove the word "Hawaii" from your first sentence, pz.
        Really? Political signage is certainly plastered across the country, and I have no doubt that there are, indeed, other places where politicians and their supporters set up shop at an intersection and wave signs and smile (like any other roadside demonstration or rally)... but I don't think its anywhere near as prevalent as it is here. Or done in the same way.

I've sign-waved for lots of folks, from small-kid time on up. Most of my memories are of waving for Fasi on S. Beretania near the building that now bears his name. Lots of fun, great folks, though your arms would hurt after a while and your face would start to ache after smiling so long... and it's amazing how freely some folks will stick the finger at a 4th grader...

Comment

amazing how freely some folks will stick the finger at a 4th grader...
          that's what I thought back then too.

still incredulous about that.

Comment

Really? Political signage is certainly plastered across the country, and I have no doubt that there are, indeed, other places where politicians and their supporters set up shop at an intersection and wave signs and smile (like any other roadside demonstration or rally)... but I don't think its anywhere near as prevalent as it is here. Or done in the same way.
            I don't think there's any way we could measure this perception against any other city's, but in many CONUS cities, I've seen crowds of people gather - on street corners and especially on overpasses - with banners, signs on sticks, etc., gesticulating wildly, encouraging people to honk and cheer - and it's not unusual to see the candidiate themselves in that crowd.

What are some of what you perceive as the unique characteristics of Hawai`i's style, when you say "done in the same way"?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
              still incredulous about that.
              Then, shame on you for doing that. j/k

Comment

being from a small town, I look each sign-waver in the face trying to make guesstimations on what demographic the Candidateâ„¢ is seeking. Pleeeenty of retiree Japanese waving? Gotta be an old-time union democrat. Pllleeeenty haole and young folks waving? Its one of those holy-rolla churchy-yuppie types. Most likely republican, too.

</sweeping generalization>

pax

Comment

Then, shame on you for doing that. j/k
                  yea! hhhahahahaawhuwhuuwhu

oh. whaaaattt!?

Comment

What are some of what you perceive as the unique characteristics of Hawai`i's style, when you say "done in the same way"?
                    I'm not sure. I might be imagining it. But what you describe is what I'd call a "rally." Whether for a political initiative ("Stop Proposition 420!") or, yes, to boost a candidacy (though I'd posit that this is less common). Perhaps tied to a specific event, or deliberately focused on a given place.

Hawaii sign waving strikes me as far more benign, and far more open and general in intent. A candidate in a major race will have hundreds of signwavers along major streets in several neighborhoods at once, several days a week, and the message seems to be more one of name recognition and emphasizing human impact. Instead of a cluster of people, the aim is to have a line of sign-wavers stretching hundreds of yards. I remember many campaign workers and volunteers trying to out-extend their competition ("Cayetano only reached Punchbowl, but Lingle's team made it all the way to Alakea!"). And while there's some hooting and hollering, you usually just have smiling faces and gentle waves (or shakas). The candidate will often be there, wearing a lei, and perhaps standing at the start or end, but he's not the focal point of the deployment.

I'm pretty sure it's a practice that's actually fostered in part by the laws The Outdoor Circle initially championed to limit advertising. A sign stapled to a pole or taped to a wall is an ad, but if a person is there holding it, voila, it's free speech.

Comment

Sounds like it's done on a much larger scale there than in other places, for one thing.

Plus, Pua`i's comment about analyzing the demographic breakdown of the wavers is probably more appicable to Hawai`i than most CONUS cities.

Comment

Sounds like it's done on a much larger scale there than in other places, for one thing.

Plus, Pua`i's comment about analyzing the demographic breakdown of the wavers is probably more appicable to Hawai`i than most CONUS cities.
                        you are trying to win the award for Da Guy Who Uses CONUS in a Sentence Plenty Times, eh?

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                          you are trying to win the award for Da Guy Who Uses CONUS in a Sentence Plenty Times, eh?
                          What can I say? The novelty hasn't worn off for me yet (and I'm trying to shift away from "Mainland.")

It's like Christmas Day when I was a kid --- garans I'll have that new toy completely busted before nightfall...

Comment

I used to signwave a couple of mornings a week at the bus stop side of the Convention Center corner (Kapiolani & Kalakaua). I really liked it and had alot of fun. People would honk or wave, or swear and flip me off. I couldn't seem to get anyone else to join me though. Oh well...
                            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

mene... what are you doing there?!

Comment

Working...
                              X