dealing with business loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dealing with business loss

i just shut down my store. it was an internet gaming cafe that was open for almost 4 years. i wanted to continue it, but just couldnt afford it anymore. we did everything, pc repair, websites, internet gaming on 18 computers. xbox, ps2, 360, gamecube gaming, dvd rentals, cell phones. friends thought the idea wouldnt work, and i guess in the end they were right. business wasnt bad, just not enough to float the boat.
    ive noticed that alot of people here are intelligent, and are in business/were in business.
    im now dealing with the aftermath of closing up shop.
    how did you deal with day to day life and the transition from being business owner for years and looking for a job?
    any comments are appreciated.
    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Re: dealing with business loss

Hellbent...sorry that things didn't work out. I'm a small business owner and I know the above and beyond commitment it takes to run one. Lot's of sacrifice with sometimes little reward. After 20 years of pulling things along I sometimes fanticize about being "just an employee" again.

As for the aftermath, I suggest that you network, network, network. Beginning with everyone you know. Let them know you are back in the labor pool and ready to put your skills to use. Some employers might think of you as "damaged goods" (as in you'll never be able to be a nice follow my directions employee again). Truth is it's the willingness to go above and beyond that drives us, entrepenuer or employee...it's hardwired. Simply put, you'll work harder than most. With your business experience you have several distinct skill sets to market. More skills should make you more marketable, and in a tight labor market you should land on your feet soon.

Now that you'll likely be down to 40ish hours a week instead of 80, I suggest you take some of that time to re-introduce yourself to your family and friends and spend some time persuing your intrests.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Comment

Hellbent, As a former Business Owner to another. You have the skills. You have the background. You have the heart. You are Valuable. There are companies looking for people like you. Computer Technology is in. You hold several keys in which others only dream of.

Don't settle for less.

Good Luck and God Bless!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

You owned Superconnected?
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

You might wanna' call up the good people at SCORE Hawaii. My father was the former online chapter chairperson until he passed, of which he always spoke highly of their counselors' ability to help people in situations such as yours.

SCORE is a FREE service in partnership with the SBA.
          Last edited by Pomai; August 24, 2006, 04:53 PM.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Hellbent, I'm sorry about the closing of your shop. Would you consider opening another business or do you want to be an employee with a (hopefully) steady paycheck? I hate hate hate the job application process but I agree with Fat Jeff and Auntie. You have a lot of good skills and experience having run your own business and letting people who know you know that you are in the market for a job may be the best way to find one that's a good fit. But, depending upon your financial situation, you may just want to take a job to tide you over until something really good comes along or you may want to hold out for a job that will be permanent. Good luck!

Comment

BTW: I'm looking for a Part-time Job. If anyone knows of anyplace dat needs a person like me (clap, clap) ...please let me know. I'm very responsible and I don't swear on the job. Honest.

Hours - Open

Duties - Open
              I have many Skills.

Mahalo

Auntie Lynn

P.S. I'm Serious!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the responses.
                The first few weeks were rough. I'm mostly to blame. I cant bemoan competitors, labor strikes, tourism, or the change in clientelle. 2 weeks after I closed my business my 15 year old cat passed on, then I got married.
                At first I didnt know what to do with myself. I started drinking again, the house got a much needed cleaning. Ive since slowed down on the drinking and feel better about myself. I'm an optomist and can still see a future ahead of me. The job market is good, and I'm considering something in schools or culinary training.
                After closing the store I swore off ever opening a business again, but I think its in the blood. My sister has been running an alohawear factory for around 20 years and my parents used to own a noodle factory. If I ever run a business again, Im going to make sure I have someone else handle the financials! We took in alot of money (to me) but it all went back out. I should have taken business classes in college instead of commercial arts.
                Business was pretty good. The entire concept I had in my head didnt fully materialize, but I guess I can save parts of it for later. Many probably do not understand the popularity for internet gaming cafes, but consider this: when I opened mine 4 years ago, there were about 4 gaming cafes. 2 closed down but there are now 7 on the island.
                The thing I miss most is the clients. I saw 11 year olds almost every day grow up to be 15 year olds. I saw adults change jobs, girlfriends, and still hang out with them.
                Unless an investor pops up, I think the best thing for my new life is to get a decent paying job, raise a family, and start living life again.
                Yes, my store was called Superconnected - Internet gaming cafe, PC repair, DVD rentals, and wireless phones and accessories. It was in Nuuanu. I know about SCORE and the SBA. The SBA helped me get my loan for the store. They published an article about my store in their annual report: http://www.hawaii-sbdc.org/reports/ar2002/ar02-08.pdf
                Last edited by Hellbent; August 26, 2006, 03:57 AM.
                Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                  BTW: I'm looking for a Part-time Job ... Hours - Open
                  Duties - Open I have many Skills.
                  So, Auntie, by "Duties - Open" you mean to say that you don't have a preference as to what type of job? So, like, anything from McDonald's to data entry to assistant coaching a football team? (I'm thinking they could use your whack-whacks training!) (In fact, I want you to go give Ashley Lelie some whack-whacks. What a self-important prima donna he turned out to be!)

There are lots of restaurants opening up ... and we keep hearing about how employers are having a hard time finding workers who can pass a drug test (which I know you can, given your successful effort at staying clean/sober -- hooray for you, by the way!)

Anyway, there are job listings in both local papers and of course, at Craigslist --

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/

Of course it's now been several seconds since I read the thread, so I can't remember if somebody already recommended such searches to Hellbent -- and I wish you great success, too, moving forward! Maybe you could register with a headhunting firm, you know, the type that does executive placements? (Find one that charges the employer and not the job-seeker!)
                  I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
                    So, Auntie, by "Duties - Open" you mean to say that you don't have a preference as to what type of job? So, like, anything from McDonald's to data entry to assistant coaching a football team? (I'm thinking they could use your whack-whacks training!) (In fact, I want you to go give Ashley Lelie some whack-whacks. What a self-important prima donna he turned out to be!)

There are lots of restaurants opening up ... and we keep hearing about how employers are having a hard time finding workers who can pass a drug test (which I know you can, given your successful effort at staying clean/sober -- hooray for you, by the way!)
                    heheheh. I dunno wat I really like. I know I want to work. I gave it to the Lord. He'll send something my way. He always does.

As for Ashley Lelie. No worries. He going be getting plenty Whack Whacks on the field. What goes around ~ comes around.

Auntie Lynn

Btw: Any chance you know Mat Levi? heheheheh

Comment

I know why you're asking!

I don't know if Matt would remember me -- but we worked at KGMB at the same time briefly - circa 1984/85.

We worked different shifts. I was there in the wee hours prepping those five-minute cut-ins during CBS This Morning (before I went to KSSK for the rest of the day) ... and he was there when the regular day crew reported to work.

He also helped the AFTRA bargaining unit at KITV, as I recall, during the strike in ... 1981 (?). I can't exactly remember in what capacity he helped.

I remember him (though we didn't meet) from his KHLO-AM radio news days in Hilo.
                      I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
                        I know why you're asking!
                        You do?heheheh

Someday ~ I will get to meet two of my other favorite Reporters!

Mat Levi and Erika Engles!!!

Mahalo, Pretty Lady!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

ah, Matt Levi.................sigh.
                          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808
                            ah, Matt Levi.................sigh.
                            I know why. (From Lurkah's Link)

Comment

So some dickhead pm's me on another local board and asks me if I owned the icafe, he just bought a xbox 360 from the auction and wanted to know how to unlock something.
                              Sure enough, McClains had an auction over the weekend. My chest felt tight looking over all of the old stuff.

Ive got a descent paying job now and things are okay. <sigh> I guess I'll always miss the place. I keep thinking about saving up to start a new business, but now I've got responsibilites and even though I've gotten offers to partner up and start a new project, I dont think I'll quit my day job.
                              Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Working...
                              X