Charlotte's Web (2006)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlotte's Web (2006)

Well, since it was mentioned in the threads for Barnyard and The Ant Bully, I might as well start a thread in anticipation (or dread) of the remake of Charlotte's Web.

As soon as the preview began, my wife started growling, and I was smiling. She thought it was horrible that yet another classic would be remade by Hollywood (especially a film tied to such fond childhood memories), and while I could see her point (like Julia Roberts needs any more of my money), I also figured it was inevitable... especially since the classic version was animated. As soon as I saw "Babe," I knew a live-action version of "Charlotte's Web" was inevitable. In fact, I can't believe it took this long.

So, for the most part, I found myself looking forward to it. Julia Roberts aside, the cast (most just voices) included Steve Buscemi, Kathy Bates, John Cleese, Jennifer Garner... all folks I wouldn't mind seeing or hearing in a familiar story.

Except. The movie trailer includes one scene that I'm pretty sure isn't in the book: One of the cows -- Bitsy or Betty -- takes aim at Templeton the rat and farts him off a fence.

I mean, it's practically a law that today's kids movies have to include scatalogical humor, and further, that a scene involving a burp or fart must be included in the trailer. But I really would have thought the story of "Charlotte's Web" and the celebrity choked cast would've been enough to pack 'em in, without adding that.

Besides. Templeton has a whole lot of burping to share after the fairground gorge-fest...

Anyway, for better or worse, it's coming. Here's the trailer, and here's the official site.

Re: Charlotte's Web (2006)

I am sure I will rent it for the boys but ony after I force them to watch the original!

Which they will wonder why i am so ancient and making them watch something with no crude humor and no hip hop songs!

Maybe that's why I can't sit through a cartoon movie anymore!

And what was so wrong that they needed to change the book??
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Dang... didn't know they were making a remake of this...

I kind of have to agree with your wife pz

The fact that they are making what was "mandatory reading" when I was in elementary school into another movie takes away one less classic book that a child might want to read because it's available visually.

The book was so good...then I watched the original movie...and I liked that...

A hollywood remake seems unjustified for a real classic...

I have a child and I know that reading stimulates him... however, when he sits there in front of the TV...it's like he's a zombie.... books at least let's him point at pictures...etc...
      Last edited by damontucker; August 6, 2006, 08:48 PM.

Comment

When we saw the preview last night my friend pegged it as Charlotte's Web. Me I haven't seen the original movie or read the book and if I do go to see it it will be somebody else's idea but I will keep on open mind when I see it.

As far as scat stuff goes. As long it's just the sound of someone farting I don't have a problem with that.

Comment

Kid 2 got this book when she was born, so she calls it "MY Web!" as her name is Charlotte. We've read it through several times and I'm OK with seeing it as a movie. Sure, I agree that none of the classics include scatalogical humor, don't see the necessity of it. What is with Hollywood? Is there a fund mechanism that is only triggered when the "Insert use of anal sphincter joke here..." is checked off?? Must be some "bully" in Hollywood no one can say no to!

Now to read "Puss in Boots" to the girls. And it's almost like you have to beat the movie makers to the punchline. In the back of my mind I'll probably figuring out what minute bit of smut can be inserted in this little story.
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
          X