The hubcap conspiracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The hubcap conspiracy

OK, am I crazy or does anyone else notice that alot of cars nowadays are missing hubcaps? Is there a person or group responsible for stealing all the hubcaps I am not seeing? I noticed that alot of cars are missing 1 or all 4 hubcaps, and seeing it everywhere =p
    Somewhere, someone has a living room full of hubcaps. I blame the internet.
    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Re: The hubcap conspiracy

Not something I noticed... have seen a few more spinners lately.

Comment

Ok...I have a really, really dumb 'tutu-da-chick' question! What's the difference between hub caps and 'rims'? And, what does 'AMG' rims mean?

Comment

So obviously I don't know about in your area but they get stolen here in My area quite often! Then nailed to street signs!

That's why I have always had rims instead! WITH LOCKS! Can you lock hubs??
        Since when is psycho a bad thing??
        Sharing withother survivors...
        www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
          Ok...I have a really, really dumb 'tutu-da-chick' question! What's the difference between hub caps and 'rims'? And, what does 'AMG' rims mean?
          Rims are the functional part of the wheel assembly. Basically the sturdy metal bit on which tires are mounted, and which connects directly to the axle. Hub caps are basically cosmetic covers slapped onto rims so that you can see something shiny or otherwise more attractive rather than the metal and lug nuts of the rims.

Of course, you can buy rims that are fancy enough to look good without hub caps. Because rims serve a functional purpose, they tend to be expensive (they can be shiny, but they also have to handle serious torque). The more expensive the brand, the lighter the material, the 'blingier' (if that's a word, as if 'bling' is) the look, the more you want to show them off.

AMG is just a brand of rims.

Hubcaps get stolen because they're basically clipped onto rims. Then again, nice rims are also stolen, even though that's a more complicated operation. I once was waiting for my wife in my van in the parking lot of Liberty House at Ala Moana, and a couple of crooks walked right up to the car next to me, jacked it up, and started to take off the bolts. I guess they figured my van was providing good cover. I cleared my throat, and they ran off... leaving the car half off the ground!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            Rims are the functional part of the wheel assembly. [...]
            Wheels 101! Thanks PZ!

Comment

Yep...I noticed the 1 hubcap conspiracy only after my Toyota's hubcap was missing. I still haven't bothered to get a new one and keep hoping to find one nailed to a sign. LOL

Comment

it's not a conspiracy...it's called travelling down Kapiolani BLVD on any given day

When you pop on a hubcap you really should jack the wheel off the ground before attempting to snap one on. The rim actually flexes under the weight of the car and you'll find yourself struggling to pop on a hubcap when it's deformed under it's weight. If you do manage to get it on it won't sit properly on the inside of the rim and when you begin to drive off the hubcap starts to unseat itself as the rim reverts back to it's round shape with increasing speed. All it takes is one pothole and then you'r back at WalMart looking for another set of cheap hubcaps.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Craig is so right about Kapiolani blvd.... or just about any backroad Honolulu st. for that matter. Potholes (along with some speed) can jolt a hubcap lose to the curb quicker than you can say "puka".

My folks drove several Buicks (GM), which all had OEM hubcaps that use threaded plastic spindle locks that hide under a center cover plate. I've had my share of fixing flats on their cars, and let me tell you, those hubcap locks are a son-of-a-b#tch to take off. It uses a "proprietary" key (a joke), and if you don't center it just right, it'll strip the hell out of it. The road grime makes it that much more difficult. Luckily I was in the luxury of a parking lot or garage. Had I been on the side of a freeway, the struggle just to remove a hubcap to access the lugnuts could've been deadly.

I'm sure there's crooks out there stealin' the 'caps too. Not just the potholes. Suprisingly my former Civic surivived its entire lifespan without the Honda hood and rear deck emblem getting jacked.

PZ's story is unbelievable, yet I don't think anyone should be surpICEd.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                  X