How to Sell Car in Hawai'i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Sell Car in Hawai'i

I was hoping for a little advice. We're selling my wife's car, but I'm not sure if there are any nuances to selling a vehicle in Hawai'i. I picked up a few blank bill of sale forms at the DMV - they have a spot for a notary . . . do the bills of sale need to be notarized? We have a loan outstanding on the vehicle, so not sure if this mixes it up even more. Any advice will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Re: How to Sell Car in Hawai'i

Originally posted by Stephen
    I was hoping for a little advice. We're selling my wife's car, but I'm not sure if there are any nuances to selling a vehicle in Hawai'i. I picked up a few blank bill of sale forms at the DMV - they have a spot for a notary . . . do the bills of sale need to be notarized? We have a loan outstanding on the vehicle, so not sure if this mixes it up even more. Any advice will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Steve
    I'm in the process of selling Manerva. You don't have to have the Bill of Sale Notorized. Just remember to sign the correct areas. As for the remaining balance..best to pay it off. Or if you sell the car yourself. Make arrangements with the bank to pay it off once you get paid for the car. Going be kinda hard since you still not going have the clearence of ownership from the bank till your loan is paid in full.

I getting confused myself.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen
      We have a loan outstanding on the vehicle, so not sure if this mixes it up even more.
      Sure it does. The lender is the "legal owner" of the vehicle and you're just the "registered owner". Can't sell it without both parties signing off on it, so you're going to have to pay off the lender before you can sell it.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Aloha,

Well, yes the bills of sale needs to be notorized, also if you have an outstanding loan, than when you sell it, you'd like to have enough to cover the loan. Say your loan is $10,000, then you may want to sell it for 12 to 15 thousand, enough to cover your loan and then possibly use the extra funds to get yourself into a new one.

* and if you are one of the few who do NOT know me by now...lemme introduce myself, I work for a dealership, we have a huge inven. of New/Used cars, we also purchase good & clean used cars to replenish our used car lot. When someone wants to sell their car, we pay full market value. What that means is my manager buys at wholesale prices, he will offer what is according to the Wholesale Kelley Blue book. I'll be honest with you - the offer is NOT really what you expect, mainly because of how high dealer mark-ups are, and how much you probably bought it for. So alot of people think that their car is worth a whole lot because of what they see in the paper, but really value of it is quite less than what you'd expect.

The pro's about selling your wifes car to a dealership, is convienence (spelling), you get relieved from the car and walk away with a check. Also since you're at a dealership you can look around and make an offer on any car you see. Here's a tip you'll get more on your car, if you trade it in with the dealership. The dealership has more money to play with now that they got you landed on a car!

= ) hope this helps... take care

Sincerely,

Tristin T
        Last edited by Mataiva; August 8, 2006, 04:48 PM.
        Tristin-Mataiva . . . . . Zoom, Zoom, Zoom! ! !
        I sell cars...TTFN, have a nice day and Drive Safe!!!
        email: zoomhawaii@hotmail.com

Comment

mataiva... what do you do again?

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
            mataiva... what do you do again?

Hey.... he asked a question in which I have some experience with..geez, I'm still in the jurisdiction of "Seeking"/"Selling" .

Now you can be mad all you want when I throw out all my "car stuff", on a thread that has nothin' to do with cars....

I like that mad face....thats cute -->

Comment

Gee let's see how quickly this thread gets closed?

I've bought 4 cars in the last 10 years... not one from you.
              Craigslist twice, Ohana once and my worst experience..... going through a used car salesperson.

Comment

How come wen I went to the DMV dey said just to sign the Transfer of Ownership papers on the correct lines.

auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Mataiva, don't mind Manoa. He's just hoping to find someone else to become the designated whipping boy. I think, of all folks, you're pretty qualified to answer this general question -- whether or not Stephen's car ends up on your Kailua lot!

1stwahine, are you thinking about the title? That's what I initially thought Stephen was talking about. That doesn't need to be notarized, and I know when I transferred title on one of my old cars, I couldn't believe that's all there was to it. I guess that's why they say to keep 'em someplace safe!

Here is a PDF of the Bill of Sale form from the Hawaii DMV. It definitely has a notary space.

As for the loan? Yeah, that definitely complicates things. Unless you got a personal loan and bought the car outright (and just carry the debt), you don't even own the car yet. I'd imagine your bank or lender has the title, and most definitely has to be a party in any sale.

Comment

I thought we had this thread over here
                    http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...highlight=cars

Comment

This thread is not going to turn into this thread. If you don't have anything to contribute to the very simple, straightforward question of how one sells a car in Hawaii, feel free to post elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                        Gee ... going through a used car salesperson.
                        Yea, used car salesmen have a bad reputation and many abuse and pervert the system. I personally try to stay away from selling "used" cars becuz you never know whats going to happen a day, month, year from now.

And you inherit other people depreciations, so for me I feel comfortable promoting NEW cars. For one thing, its New (duh) and they come with warranty's.

I understand how people feel about car salesmen, hello I've bought cars too in the past, and guess what none were from my store either. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Mataiva
                          And you inherit other people depreciations, so for me I feel comfortable promoting NEW cars. For one thing, its New (duh) and they come with warranty's.
                          buy sell car? on craigslist.
                          notary? not needed at all.
                          Not neccessary to buy new car in Hawaii, with the way the land and weather beats up a brand new car so fast. Plus the fact a car instantly depreciates greatly as soon as the new owner drives it off the lot.
                          "warranty's"?! dunno what that would be.
                          best to buy a car a year or few years old, depending on yer budget and needs/use.

Comment

Yea, used car salesmen have a bad reputation and many abuse and pervert the system.
                            so you are familiar with abusing systems then? Couldn't have figured that one out!

I just giving you crapola.... we all have alterior motives for HT during our initial posting.... we all seem to find HT somehow some way.....

I hope that you are able to be a succesful sales lady without using HT as a tool... because it may backfire... honestly.

Nuff said and enough ranting on you... if you haven't noticed... I'm an a** at times...those that know me... they think the same... but still love me...

Manoa

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                              buy sell car? on craigslist.
                              notary? not needed at all.

best to buy depending on yer budget and needs/use.
                              words of wisdom. Buy according to your budget.

Comment

Working...
                              X