Textbook sticker shock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Textbook sticker shock

Check out this article, about the unbelievably high prices of textbooks, in today's Advertiser.
    Looks like most textbooks run well over $100, even the used books. For instance, the caption under one photo says "This biology textbook costs $142.80 for a new one vs. $108.55 for a used one at the UH bookstore."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Textbook sticker shock

There was a good piece on this on NPR just a couple of weeks ago. Includes an interview with a woman who is trying to buck the trend by publishing "no frills" textbooks (publishers say textbooks today are more expensive because they require more bells and whistles, from color graphics to CDROMs and online supplements)... but finding the fancier ones still sell better, even at several times the price.

Comment

This biology textbook costs $142.80 for a new one vs. $108.55 for a used one at the UH bookstore.
      Yeah and the UH Bookstore probably sold it the year before for $142.80... then turned around and bought it back from the student for $25.00... then turned around and re-sold it for that $108.55

The bookstore has quite a good scam going IMHO!

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
        Yeah and the UH Bookstore probably sold it the year before for $142.80... then turned around and bought it back from the student for $25.00... then turned around and re-sold it for that $108.55

The bookstore has quite a good scam going IMHO!
        If you can go with scholarships, sometimes that helps with the book expense. Some scholarships even cover living expenses as well.

Man I remember a time when books were running in the low $50 range and we were screaming back then too.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

In my day (pre-historic), tuition and fees were $116.25/semester and the cost of books was under $100 total for all of the classes.

The bookstore's dealing in buying and re-selling used books certainly smacks of being a "scam."

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific
            In my day (pre-historic), tuition and fees were $116.25/semester and the cost of books was under $100 total for all of the classes.
            And back in MY day, tuition was 37 rocks a semester, plus you had to bring fire to the teacher first day of class, if you wanted to not be eaten by the school's saber-toothed "mascot," Grobbo.

TMI, huh?

Comment

Working...
            X