Worse Sting: Centipede or Scorpion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worse Sting: Centipede or Scorpion?

I realize there are different varieties with different severities of sting, but just based on your understanding, whether or not you've ever (heaven forbid) experienced both stings, which has the worse sting? I need this for my next batch of sudoku difficulty-ratings.
    centipedes
    46.15%
    scorpions
    53.85%
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Worse Sting: Centipede or Scorpion?

Originally posted by scrivener
    which has the worse sting?
    Technically, centipedes "bite" with the tips (sort of fangs) of the large first pair of legs, which have poison glands. And as all of us who stomp on centipedes know, it's the front that is dangerous: the last pair of legs, although longer and more scary looking than the rest, do not sting.

Comment

I didn't vote...I haven't been stung by either... but in case your thinking about other stings... and I know you didn't ask... I'm bored...but maybe this might give you someother ideas...

Bee stings, Poison Ivy, Jelly Fish, Nettles, I'm gonna kill you with the locals here... um sea urchins... or "vauna sp?" , "Sting operations" hahahh.

Anybody got any others I'm Missing?
      Not talking about bites.... stings... you know... from the stinger...not the mouth!

Comment

Okay, in case I didn't make it clear: It doesn't matter whether or not you've ever been attacked by one of these. Just based on your impression or understanding, which has the worse sting/bite?
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

For once scriv... in my life... I think I have something I can debate and possibly win!

How can we vote if we never been bit...and what.. you want us to judge upon our friends reactions?

Personally scriv... your the one person I can't find anything wrong with any of your posts... so when I do... I gotta ask... Love yah man...

Comment

Manoa, I'm not looking for a definitive answer. I just want to get a feel for what people's impressions are. I have neither mainlined heroin nor smoked weed, but it is my understanding that the former is considerably more physically addictive than the latter. You've never climbed Mount Everest, but I'll bet you have an idea about whether or not it's more grueling than climbing Haleakala, yes? Yes.
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Just based on your impression or understanding, which has the worse sting/bite?
              Scorpions: many lethal stings on record

Centipedes: There are only 3 reported deaths due to centipedes throughout the world (as of 2004)

Personally, I'd rather tangle with a centipede. Call your "deadly puzzle" a scorpion.

. I have neither mainlined heroin nor smoked weed, but it is my understandingthat the former is considerably more physically addictive than the latter. .
              Or, you could rate your somewhat gentler puzzles "weed", and the hardcore puzzles "heroin"......
              Last edited by SouthKona; August 9, 2006, 10:22 PM.

Comment

I think I get it, Scriv.

I was stung a few months ago by a Hawaii scorpion. They're not as venomous as the mainland (and elsewhere) varieties. It hurt a little, then got worse, then it hurt quite a bit (all this in the space of about five minutes). It swelled up and stayed that way for about a week.

I was stung a couple of weeks ago by a wasp. It hurt quite a bit right away, then hurt some more, swelled up, then got infected, itched and burned like hell, and I am now taking the second course of antibiotics to make sure the infection is gone. It was much worse, for me, than the scorpion sting.

I hear horror stories about centipede stings. I could handle a centipede sting if it were only as bad as the scorpion or wasp sting, but I get the impression it's worse. So I am voting for centipede.

Howzat, Scriv?

Comment

weed and heroin interesting comparison... however... yes... done weed.... won't look at Heroin.... therefore I could give you different opinions on the Highs I've had from different "strands" of weed from past experience.

I still don't know how someone can give an "impression" if they have never actually been stung?

I Have smoked different strains of weed... none of that Iowa stuff talked about in the other thread....

Centipede sting, scorpion sting, the sting of whatever it makes you feel when you do drugs... it's all the same if you've never done it... you can't have a fair impression if your taking your impression from others experience.

Comment

...whether or not you've ever (heaven forbid) experienced both stings, which has the worse sting?
                    blaaach! Jus reading dis giving me shivas! yeeeck...

K. Family saying is, if there's a scorpion or centipede around, it will bite my brother. He's been bitten by both *shiver* -blech- so many times, it's a curse. Centipede bite makes the area swell up real bad and it gets all red and the center all yellowie... Scorpion bites swell up too, but the affected area is always bigger and turns... purplie-black.

I think scorps are the worse.

*crosses feet up on chair* BLEEEECH! I hate those things!
                    MEMRI TV:Middle East Media Research Institute
                    Jihad Watch
                    Amil Imani's Website

Comment

Don't know about Scorpions but I did get bit from a centipede back home. Was lying in my bed and all of a sudden I felt a stinging burning feeling so I got up to see what it was, threw off the covers and there was that long black centipede slithering arond! It hurt like a SOB for a couple of days but than it was okay. Haven't seen centipede's up here where I'm at but I do see the baby scorpions! I tend to stay FAR away from them if possible.
                      Last edited by localgrl; August 10, 2006, 06:06 AM.
                      Live for today....tommorow is never promised

Comment

I'd presume scorpion stings to be worse than those of centipedes, and don't need nor want any real world experience to prove that suspicion.

Comment

Having been bitten by a scorpion here and suffered the same symptoms that Maddie noted, the scorpion got my vote. I've got a pretty high resistance to pain, but that sucker hurt.
                          Haven't had a centipede bite, but know many who have, and based on their description I think the scorpion is worse.
                          I've also heard that bites are worse from keiki than from adult scorpions and centipedes. Something about the adults control their venom better -- bite, squirt, pau. Save some venom for next bite. But the keiki bite, squirt, squirt, squirt until all empty, den pau.
                          Anybody know for sure?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

got bit by scorpion when we were moving huge lava boulders. It was like a wasp sting. centipede much worse.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                              I've also heard that bites are worse from keiki than from adult scorpions and centipedes. Something about the adults control their venom better -- bite, squirt, pau. Save some venom for next bite. But the keiki bite, squirt, squirt, squirt until all empty, den pau.Anybody know for sure?
                              That is true about rattlesnakes!

Comment

Working...
                              X