PDA

View Full Version : Worse Sting: Centipede or Scorpion?

scrivener
August 9th, 2006, 08:32 PM
I realize there are different varieties with different severities of sting, but just based on your understanding, whether or not you've ever (heaven forbid) experienced both stings, which has the worse sting? I need this for my next batch of sudoku difficulty-ratings.

SouthKona
August 9th, 2006, 09:04 PM
which has the worse sting?

Technically, centipedes "bite" with the tips (sort of fangs) of the large first pair of legs, which have poison glands. And as all of us who stomp on centipedes know, it's the front that is dangerous: the last pair of legs, although longer and more scary looking than the rest, do not sting.

damontucker
August 9th, 2006, 09:28 PM
I didn't vote...I haven't been stung by either... but in case your thinking about other stings... and I know you didn't ask... I'm bored...but maybe this might give you someother ideas...

Bee stings, Poison Ivy, Jelly Fish, Nettles, I'm gonna kill you with the locals here... um sea urchins... or "vauna sp?" , "Sting operations" hahahh.

Anybody got any others I'm Missing?
Not talking about bites.... stings... you know... from the stinger...not the mouth! :D

scrivener
August 9th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Okay, in case I didn't make it clear: It doesn't matter whether or not you've ever been attacked by one of these. Just based on your impression or understanding, which has the worse sting/bite?

damontucker
August 9th, 2006, 09:58 PM
For once scriv... in my life... I think I have something I can debate and possibly win!

How can we vote if we never been bit...and what.. you want us to judge upon our friends reactions?

:p :D
Personally scriv... your the one person I can't find anything wrong with any of your posts... so when I do... I gotta ask... Love yah man...

:p

scrivener
August 9th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Manoa, I'm not looking for a definitive answer. I just want to get a feel for what people's impressions are. I have neither mainlined heroin nor smoked weed, but it is my understanding that the former is considerably more physically addictive than the latter. You've never climbed Mount Everest, but I'll bet you have an idea about whether or not it's more grueling than climbing Haleakala, yes? Yes.

SouthKona
August 9th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Just based on your impression or understanding, which has the worse sting/bite?
Scorpions: many lethal stings on record

Centipedes: There are only 3 reported deaths due to centipedes throughout the world (as of 2004)

Personally, I'd rather tangle with a centipede. Call your "deadly puzzle" a scorpion.

. I have neither mainlined heroin nor smoked weed, but it is my understandingthat the former is considerably more physically addictive than the latter. .
Or, you could rate your somewhat gentler puzzles "weed", and the hardcore puzzles "heroin"...... :D

MadAzza
August 9th, 2006, 10:41 PM
I think I get it, Scriv.

I was stung a few months ago by a Hawaii scorpion. They're not as venomous as the mainland (and elsewhere) varieties. It hurt a little, then got worse, then it hurt quite a bit (all this in the space of about five minutes). It swelled up and stayed that way for about a week.

I was stung a couple of weeks ago by a wasp. It hurt quite a bit right away, then hurt some more, swelled up, then got infected, itched and burned like hell, and I am now taking the second course of antibiotics to make sure the infection is gone. It was much worse, for me, than the scorpion sting.

I hear horror stories about centipede stings. I could handle a centipede sting if it were only as bad as the scorpion or wasp sting, but I get the impression it's worse. So I am voting for centipede.

Howzat, Scriv?

damontucker
August 9th, 2006, 10:44 PM
weed and heroin interesting comparison... however... yes... done weed.... won't look at Heroin.... therefore I could give you different opinions on the Highs I've had from different "strands" of weed from past experience.

I still don't know how someone can give an "impression" if they have never actually been stung?

I Have smoked different strains of weed... none of that Iowa stuff talked about in the other thread....

Centipede sting, scorpion sting, the sting of whatever it makes you feel when you do drugs... it's all the same if you've never done it... you can't have a fair impression if your taking your impression from others experience.

Levia
August 9th, 2006, 10:45 PM
...whether or not you've ever (heaven forbid) experienced both stings, which has the worse sting?
blaaach! Jus reading dis giving me shivas! yeeeck... :eek:

K. Family saying is, if there's a scorpion or centipede around, it will bite my brother. He's been bitten by both *shiver* -blech- so many times, it's a curse. Centipede bite makes the area swell up real bad and it gets all red and the center all yellowie... Scorpion bites swell up too, but the affected area is always bigger and turns... purplie-black.

I think scorps are the worse.

*crosses feet up on chair* :o BLEEEECH! I hate those things!

localgrl
August 10th, 2006, 06:03 AM
Don't know about Scorpions but I did get bit from a centipede back home. Was lying in my bed and all of a sudden I felt a stinging burning feeling so I got up to see what it was, threw off the covers and there was that long black centipede slithering arond! It hurt like a SOB for a couple of days but than it was okay. Haven't seen centipede's up here where I'm at but I do see the baby scorpions! I tend to stay FAR away from them if possible.

pzarquon
August 10th, 2006, 07:47 AM
I'd presume scorpion stings to be worse than those of centipedes, and don't need nor want any real world experience to prove that suspicion.

LikaNui
August 10th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Having been bitten by a scorpion here and suffered the same symptoms that Maddie noted, the scorpion got my vote. I've got a pretty high resistance to pain, but that sucker hurt.
Haven't had a centipede bite, but know many who have, and based on their description I think the scorpion is worse.
I've also heard that bites are worse from keiki than from adult scorpions and centipedes. Something about the adults control their venom better -- bite, squirt, pau. Save some venom for next bite. But the keiki bite, squirt, squirt, squirt until all empty, den pau.
Anybody know for sure?

kimo55
August 10th, 2006, 08:47 AM
got bit by scorpion when we were moving huge lava boulders. It was like a wasp sting. centipede much worse.

SouthKona
August 10th, 2006, 01:02 PM
I've also heard that bites are worse from keiki than from adult scorpions and centipedes. Something about the adults control their venom better -- bite, squirt, pau. Save some venom for next bite. But the keiki bite, squirt, squirt, squirt until all empty, den pau.Anybody know for sure?

That is true about rattlesnakes!

MadAzza
August 10th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Heh ... I am wondering at this point if any non-Hawaii residents are reading this and reconsidering their "I want to live in Paradise" fantasies.

LikaNui
August 10th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Heh ... I am wondering at this point if any non-Hawaii residents are reading this and reconsidering their "I want to live in Paradise" fantasies. Amen to that! I was thinking the same thing.
I know one person moving here from California this coming Monday, and the house he's moving into is well-known for centipedes. I'm thinking of starting a pool to see how long until we hear his first scream. :p

Leo Lakio
August 10th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Actually, Maddie, I was thinking of a news story I saw this afternoon, about a firefighter in a Seattle suburb; he found a rattlesnake on the path in front of him, so he lightly kicked at it a couple times --- and it tried to bite him. What a surprise.

"Hey look! A rattler! Rather than avoiding it or killing it outright, I'll just nudge it and see what happens.

Then, I think I'll go over there and lick that tarantula..."

MadAzza
August 10th, 2006, 07:25 PM
"Hold my beer and watch this!"

Kelly0040
August 10th, 2006, 08:40 PM
I dont know and I dont want to know.

But today I saw my first scorpion ever. It was in the doorway of our spare bedroom. It was already dead and my husband thought it was lint, but I guess since I'm shorter and therefore closer to the ground, I saw pincers.

It's a Lesser Brown Scorpion, which are common in Hawaii. The bug web site says its sting is not deadly, but it is similar to a bee sting.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/kelly0040/scorpion.jpg

cezanne
August 10th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Never got "stung" by either so I dunno. I get bee stings though. Regular honey bee kine is not bad but yellow jacket kine is a beach.

LikaNui
August 10th, 2006, 09:47 PM
The bug web site says its sting is not deadly, but it is similar to a bee sting. Yeah... if the bee in question weighed 20 pounds, maybe. :p

kimo55
August 10th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Yeah... if the bee in question weighed 20 pounds, maybe. :p
nah, dass true, brah. felt like a bee sting. kinda like wasp sting, as i said...
Swelled up, then went away a couple days later.
hurt and itched like da dickens, but.
was mostly psychosomatic, cuz, after all, whatchoo goin think when you see a nest of scorpions on da beeg kine lava rock ya just lifted?!

beaker
August 11th, 2006, 05:18 AM
The man who invents a centipede trap will be my hero. Got one hiding in my room this week so I sleep with the light on. :(

adrian
August 15th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Man, thanks for recalling bad childhood memories...

I got stinged by a bumble bee while in my Dad's truck when I was a little kid. It came in through the window and I irritated it, then bam! stung me right in the chin. I didn't want to go outside for a week after that, especially in my Dad's truck.

MadAzza
August 15th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Man, thanks for recalling bad childhood memories...

I got stinged by a bumble bee while in my Dad's truck when I was a little kid. It came in through the window and I irritated it, then bam! stung me right in the chin.

I'd like to hear the bee's side of that story.

"I had to sting him -- he was irritating me!" :D

Beaker, I wouldn't even sleep in the room if I knew a centipede was in it! eeek!!!

Kahalu'u_Chrome
August 16th, 2006, 01:45 AM
I seem to live in dam centipede haven in dis part of Kahalu'u - and if get one centipede in our house, gon bite me...always!

3 times so far, last one on ma back! Kinda like what Mad said her scorp bite was like - except da last one, dat........wen........hurt!

Plus, I really need to get outta da habit of slappin whateva I feel touching me ( prolly why I am divorced now as well!) , I no tink da centipedes like it :D

I tink someone feedin the animals ova hea wen I no looking - cause dam we gots some BIG centipedes :eek:

Cezanne, you right down da road, wanna visit my "centipede farm" :D

ashmichelle
August 22nd, 2006, 09:26 PM
I was bit by a centipede on friday, today is tuesday and i am still in pain. When it first happened, i have never been in so much pain in my life! I felt like someone stabbed me with a knife and kept twisting it around. I was bite right on my akelies (spelling) tendon (in your ankle). There was only a little spot of blood. It hurt like that for about 45 minutes. The morning after i woke up, my whole foot, toes, ankle and part of my leg was swelled up. 4 days later it doesnt look much better. The right and left side of my foot are blue and purple. The bite area is purple and red. My toes are huge, you cant see my ankle bones, and my part of my leg is still swollen and the whole area is very very tender to touch. I've never been bite by a scorpion, but i would have to say the centipede is worse. I have 3 tattoos and 4 piecercing, and none of them can even come near the amount of pain i was in when this happened.
Hope this helps with what you are looking for

tikiyaki
August 23rd, 2006, 04:22 AM
Yikes, that sounds horrible. If someone invented an antivenom/pain relief for centipede bites and sold it over the counter, I'd bet they make alotta dough, cos, by what I'm reading on this thread, eveyone in Hawaii would have it in their medicine chest.

Here in Cali, I never really hear about centipedes. One day, my kid had her friend sleeping over, and I heard them both shreik. They were in the kitchen and pointed to a centipede crawling across the kitchen floor. It was about 5 inches long.
I gave it the whack! whack! (© Auntie Lynn) with a shoe and tossed the sucker in the trash.
My policy on bugs in the house.....If their not paying rent, they die...period.

I wonder if it was the same kind of centipede as you folks have there on the Islands.

damontucker
August 23rd, 2006, 09:05 AM
I was bit by a centipede on friday, today is tuesday and i am still in pain. When it first happened, i have never been in so much pain in my life! I felt like someone stabbed me with a knife and kept twisting it around. I was bite right on my akelies (spelling) tendon (in your ankle). There was only a little spot of blood. It hurt like that for about 45 minutes. The morning after i woke up, my whole foot, toes, ankle and part of my leg was swelled up. 4 days later it doesnt look much better. The right and left side of my foot are blue and purple. The bite area is purple and red. My toes are huge, you cant see my ankle bones, and my part of my leg is still swollen and the whole area is very very tender to touch. I've never been bite by a scorpion, but i would have to say the centipede is worse. I have 3 tattoos and 4 piecercing, and none of them can even come near the amount of pain i was in when this happened.
Hope this helps with what you are looking for
Um... if it's condition is still this bad...

Might I recommend you going to a doctor.

There must be something they can do.

blueyecicle
August 23rd, 2006, 09:09 AM
Heh ... I am wondering at this point if any non-Hawaii residents are reading this and reconsidering their "I want to live in Paradise" fantasies.

It's no worse than the Hobo Spiders here and the thousands of Rattlesnakes we grow up with and the local scorpions....Oh and the BLACK WIDOWS! :eek:
Hate those Spiders! Find em all over the place!

Pua'i Mana'o
August 23rd, 2006, 09:17 AM
from worst to least painful:

1)manowar floating across my lap and stinging the entire front of both of my thighs
2)stepping on vana and having my dad piss on the balls of my foot to melt the brines
3)getting stung by two yellow jackets who dove at me because I inadvertently found their nest when I lifted up an old pvc pipe laying in my yard
4)some wimpy blue centipede who brushed his teeth on the outside of my palm. If the vermin decided to truly bite™ me, this experience might be higher up on the list.

alohatim
August 25th, 2006, 07:28 PM
I wonder what doctors would do. I could not find any medical consensus on treating these kinds of bites and stings. Mostly, they seem to say "just deal with it".

I was paddling canoe when a little man o' war washed into the boat and landed on my foot. It hurt like hell for about 4 hours. It did not swell too much. Some people swear by putting urine or worchestire sauce or other things on it--but another part of the medical community says that would make it worse.

I would rate the pain from my centipede bite exactly the same as the man o' war. It lasted about the same time too. The swelling was worse, however. Lasted a few days. I iced it to keep swelling down, but I also saw that someone used heat to ease the pain. So-- I dunno!