Instant Immersion Hawaiian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instant Immersion Hawaiian?

My wife checked out this 8-CD set from the library and I've been listening to it off and on while on the train. It's interesting and I've learned some good stuff so far (though I can only get through the first CD without getting overwhelmed so far )

Anyone have any opinions on that particular set? Or recommendations for a better one?

Re: Instant Immersion Hawaiian?

I acually bought these. My wife was curious, and I figured I needed some refreshing. Sadly, I haven't really sat down to listen to them.

We've mentioned them here at HT in the past, and from what I can tell they're popular... but I really don't know what the veterans of the Hawaiian language renaissance here think about it. The Instant Immersion series is generally well regarded, and the pair behind the Hawaiian release are Kaliko Beamer-Trapp and Kiele Akana-Gooch. Here's a write-up in the Star-Bulletin.

I don't know if there's anything else out there that's comparable. Of course live instruction is best, but for self-directed learning, it seems pretty good.

Comment

I bought them last year....Do not have time to use them much but am working on it!
      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
      Sharing withother survivors...
      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Thanks for the link pzarquon. It sounds like it's actually pretty good. I did notice while listening to it that they actually sound out the vowels instead of slurring them, which IIRC was a complaint a lot of people had about "modern Hawaiian".

It seems like I can never make time for stuff like this either, but taking public transit is a strong motivator. So much easier to listen to it on the train when I'd just be sitting there bored or reading anyway.

I thought the intro stories were especially neat. I've read some of the Pele stories before, so I was pleased to discover that I could somewhat figure out the Big Island one without having learned everything.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          I actually bought these. Sadly, I haven't really sat down to listen to them.
          I'm in the same place, I fear. Many of us in our halau bought them, but I don't know that many have actually invested the time...yet.

Comment

There's also interactive software from Instant Immersion that covers something like 100 languages, for $30. I think it included things like games to help you learn. I dunno how they can publish so much for so little but I'm thinking I might look into that too.

If I had my druthers I think I'd learn to speak all of those languages but somehow I don't think there's room for all that in my head...

Comment

I too have purchased this set and find it to be most rewarding. However, like any other language, frequent use is the best method of learning. So I encourage my hoaloha that already olelo Hawaii to continue to leave voice messages in Hawaiian when they get my voice mail. I tell the to email me in Hawaiian so that i am forced to use my puke wehewehe...otherwise.....I won't do it....so with a little effort on all our parts, the Hawaiian language will live on!

Aloha, ahui hou!

Try this one:
              E pili ana ka hola ehiku....(translated, it means "It's about 7 o'clock")....simple phrase that one can use to tell time and learn numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ms_Aloha_Nui
                I tell the to email me in Hawaiian so that i am forced to use my puke wehewehe...otherwise.....I won't do it....so with a little effort on all our parts, the Hawaiian language will live on!

I take sign classes also...but since I have no one to use it with I lose more of it every single day! It's hard to be consistent when you are the only one using a language!
                Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                Sharing withother survivors...
                www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Indeed, it was nice when I was learning Japanese because I could at least practice my listening skills at any time by loading up some anime and turning off the subtitles. Or reading a news site, or whatever.

Comment

I did a search for "Hawaiian" on iTunes podcast directory. Out of 31 podcasts, it looks like at least one are set up to "Learn Hawaiian".

I'm going to give a couple a listen and see if they are any good.

The "Instant Immersion" series is not available on audible.com where I get my audio books.

Comment

I've been continuing to listen to these and I've gotten through most of the first two CDs now. I say "most" because even though I've listened to them a number of times, it takes a while for the stuff to sink into my head sometimes.

Watch the monkey* talk! "E kaulana ana kakou!"

I kinda wish they'd go over all of the vocabulary in their practice sections, but I guess they have limited space. I might look for a flash card program or something.

Anyway, for those who were thinking of it but haven't started, dive in. Even if you put it on in the background while doing housework or something, it's fun and it seems to sink in when you least expect it.

* Me.

Comment

I took up 'Olelo Hawai'i language at Honolulu Community College under the leadership of Kumu Kimo Keaulana. I took Hawaiian language 101, 102, 201 and 202. I found it helpful when I know people whose first language is Hawaiian and they write to me in Hawaiian because it forces me to use my 'Olelo 'Oiwi book by Hokulani Cleeland. And it also helps when I try and write emails in Hawaiian also.
                        Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

I bet that does help. There are also some nice things for listening practice like podcasts in Hawaiian.

Comment

Originally posted by Bard
                            I bet that does help. There are also some nice things for listening practice like podcasts in Hawaiian.
                            I particularly like Keola Donaghy's NahenaheNet Hawaiian Music podcast. There's a link at http://www.mauicast.net/nahenahe/

Comment

Yeah, I've been checking that one out too actually. Pretty cool

Comment

Working...
                              X