anyone going to see TOOL in concert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone going to see TOOL in concert

I know that this is an older crowd, but then again I'm going to see the concert with my old photo teachers whos 55, so I was just wondering if anyone else is going to see them at the concert hall next week. Also, has anyone seen any other rock concerts at the hall. Can I expect moshing on the floor, if I had balcony tickets would I get in trouble if I went down into the pit?
    808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
    kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
    http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Re: anyone going to see TOOL in concert

My brother in law has tickets to the Los Angeles show. I don't know much about the band, but he told me very clearly that Tool does NOT have a mosh pit. Maybe that fad is over. We can hope.

Comment

Tool is a progressive metal band and I'm sure the best compliment you could pay it would be to sit attentively and just listen. It really is some of the most intelligent popular music on the radio right now: Listen for some of those changes in time-signature and key. This is the closest to classical music you'll hear on a modern rock station.

There is really nowhere to mosh at the concert hall; it's an auditorium, not an arena. In fact, the fact that Tool is playing at the concert hall is the biggest draw for me. Tickets were steep, and I wouldn't have paid a hundred and fifty bucks for two tickets for Tool in the arena.

Yes, HT is an "older crowd," but listen to Tool and you will hear definite Iron Maiden, Led Zep, and even Yes and ELP influences, which many of us grew up on. I have not heard if Tool claims to have been influenced by Fates Warning's 1985 The Spectre Within, but I can hear definite musical genes.

Anyway, see you there; it's probably going to be the show of the year.
      Last edited by scrivener; August 10, 2006, 05:58 PM. Reason: "take me away; take me away; i don't want to know what's deep within..."
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Ditto to everything Scriv said.

Maynard will not let the crowd get too aggro, he will stop the music if he has too.

There will be a lot of energy but not destructive. You could light Honolulu with the energy from a Tool concert.
        You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

I was listening to the radio today and they were actually saying the reason that tool wanted to play the concert hall was because they wanted people to hear the music, I'm not too concerned about getting to mosh, but a few of my friends were really looking forward to it. They got third row balcony and are determined to get down to the mosh(if one exists). I on the other hand have front row balcony center so I'm not planning on moving.
          808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
          kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
          http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

Oh, man. Hearing a band say something like that renews my faith in rock and roll. Perhaps I'm overdramatizing (I've been known to), but I've been to far too many shows where the primary concern seemed to be getting as many people through the turnstiles as possible. In fact, I wrote recently that I'm staying away from U2 because I hate stadium shows, suggesting that I'd have paid quite a bit more if they'd have played the concert hall.

Tool in the concert hall? I'm so there.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I was at the last Andrews Ampitheater show a few years back (shooting for the paper) and it was one of the best musical experiences I've had. I had to lose the cameras after three songs, and I just sat mesmerized for the rest of the show. I also saw them at the first Big Mele at Kualoa in the early '90s. Fine show then, too, although the crowd was pretty wild...

I'm hoping I get to shoot this tour as well...

Comment

You have a great job.
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I'm not into the band but I listen to metal music. What are some of good songs I should check out from this band?

Comment

I've got tickets to the Los Angeles shows coming up. If you've never seen them you're missing something special. When I was in Dublin a guy saw me in a TOOL shirt and came up to comment, "the thinking man's metal". I thought that summed them up nicely.

http://www.toolband.com/
                    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by Shredder
                      I'm not into the band but I listen to metal music. What are some of good songs I should check out from this band?
                      Wow...... I don't mean to sound flippant on this, but they are all good in their own special way.

If you are going to the concert, pick up 10,000 days. They will probably play more songs off that album.

Check out some of the videos on youtube.

The Tool of today is like the Rush of the late 70's/ early 80's. Don't expect basic drop D tuning and screaming into the microphone stuff. It is a whole lot more complex than that. Lyrically and musically.

Tool touches everyone differently too. That is it's magic.

Favorite Tool song, short term- Right in Two
                      Favorite Tool song, all time- Stinkfist
                      You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Originally posted by Shredder
                        While I like all their stuff you might get the Undertow album. "Sober" got lots of radio play back when. Song specific I'm really fond of "Parabol/Parabola" two track combo on the Lateralus album, tracks 6&7 IIRC. Pick any really. Enjoy.

Man, I can't wait. Never miss them. I'm nearly 46 and they are my all time favorite band FWIW.
                        Last edited by sinjin; August 11, 2006, 06:54 AM.
                        “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."

Comment

I like Tool well enough. Saw them at the first Mele, then enjoyed the drubbing they got from the other bands when they skipped out on a subsequent Mele booking. I'm nowhere near qualified to appreciate the musical nuances, but I know good music versus noise.

Remember the stop-motion music video for "Sober"?

Not going to the concert, though. We manage one a year, if we're lucky, and we're one of the suckers waiting for the postponed U2 show.

Comment

Eulogy is a great song Shredder.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jEbbMDje964

Comment

we're one of the suckers waiting for the postponed U2 show.
                              That's not a sucker... it's smart! Even though it got postponed...if you only to go to one a year... it my as well be a good one.... Plus now you get TWO Major bands!

Comment

Working...
                              X