Rockstar: Supernova

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockstar: Supernova

Just curious if anyone is watching this on TV and, if so, whaddya think?
    (The show's website is http://rockstar.msn.com/ .)
    Get one guy named Lukas, looks like a punk-rock version of a young Marlon Brando. (Click here for a photo gallery.) From week #1, he's the obvious choice of the 15 contestants, by a mile.
    The other standout is Dilana, she of the amazing Janis Joplin-esque voice.
    Comments?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Rockstar: Supernova

Thanks to my husband's addiction we watch it every single time it's on! No matter what!!

He like's the bald guy with the kid! I do too but I like the pierced chick too! I think she fits with the band!

I think the bald dude is awesome because he needs no /props/makeup/jewelry because he depends soley on his voice!
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

My wife is watching. I'm trying not to. She and I talked about the show on the July 29 HawaiiUP podcast, including our thoughts on the various competitors.

I find Storm Large to be a fascinating exhibit. Delightfully weird. Totally wrong for the band, but definitely someone who's going onto something else interesting. I just can't take Lukas Rossi seriously -- he looks like a video game character. Magni's not bad, plus he's got the daddy vote locked up. The rest I can't keep straight in my head. One of 'em reminds me of Avril Lavigne... trying so hard to be hard rock, but still coming across like a high school sophomore.

Looks like the deck is stacked against the women... not sure how "Supernova" would work with those four swaggering rockers that way, y'know?

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
        Just curious if anyone is watching this on TV and, if so, whaddya think?
        (The show's website is http://rockstar.msn.com/ .)
        Get one guy named Lukas, looks like a punk-rock version of a young Marlon Brando. (Click here for a photo gallery.) From week #1, he's the obvious choice of the 15 contestants, by a mile.
        The other standout is Dilana, she of the amazing Janis Joplin-esque voice.
        Comments?
        I didn't want to be the one to start this thread, so - THANK YOU!

When Lukas wore his hair a mile above his head, it was difficult not noticing his very shiney, very large forehead. He's excellent though, quirky good, owns the stage, cool moves, rock voice - we call him Marlon Brando. My husband thinks Lucas should, win.

Dilana had me from show 1. Joplin-Slick-Turner-classic. Huge stage presence, awesome rock voice. My only complaint about her is, I don't like the way she jogs-in-place on stage. I'd like her to win, and think it'll come down to Lucas and Dilana.

Can't stand Storm's theatrical facial expressions - fake - she doesn't connect with the audience. Strong voice though, still, she's not the front person for this band.

Everyone else - kinda forgettable.

Next season -
        Rockstar: Super Nanny. JoJo takes the naughty chair on tour.
        "Tommy, yo' be'avior is no'acceptibo. Sit on the naugh'y chair."

MEMRI TV:Middle East Media Research Institute
        Jihad Watch
        Amil Imani's Website

Comment

I don't see Lukas fronting the band. He just doesn't seem to "go" with the rest of them. Maybe it's the really styled hair and make up. I hope it comes down to Dilana and Magni.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            I just can't take Lukas Rossi seriously -- he looks like a video game character.
            Yes, to a point. Which actually works in his favor, considering the gig they're auditioning for. I mean, tell me that Tommy Lee doesn't look like a "video game character" too. And Lukas has more stage presence and command than all the others combined, with the possible exception of Dilana. Gotta have that to front a band of that caliber or, as they've pointed out, the singer will get lost to the band.
            Some/many/most of the others have good voices but zero stage presence.

The rest I can't keep straight in my head. One of 'em reminds me of Avril Lavigne.
            The thin girl with long dark hair? Zayra. Sounds exactly like Celine Dion when she talks, but she's Puerto Rican, not Canadian. Ya like her outfits, Ryan?

Looks like the deck is stacked against the women... not sure how "Supernova" would work with those four swaggering rockers that way, y'know?
            Yep. I still predict Lukas will win it, but I'd like to see Dilana also get hired as a backup singer for 'em.

Comment

Omigosh.
              Zyra SO needs to get booted off the show. Puh-leeze! (Did it happen yet? I missed a couple nights of TV this week, due to kids' school stuff. If spoiling it for someone is a concern, please PM me.)

I see the point about Lukas looking like a video game character, (as if Dilana doesn't?) ... but I agree that in fronting such a strong band, the singer's got to have a strong presence; at least as strong, if not stronger.

Part of me doesn't want to like Dilana, or Storm Large (nice p0-ru-no name, yes?) ... but I do. Magni's okay ... and sometimes the Aussie guy's okay too.
              I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                The thin girl with long dark hair? Zayra. Sounds exactly like Celine Dion when she talks, but she's Puerto Rican, not Canadian. Ya like her outfits, Ryan?
                My wife informs me that the Avril-like wannabe I'm thinking of is Dana (Dayna?). Apparently she's already been booted.

Zayra is known for her outfits? Is she the one that came out last week dressed like a shimmering banana?

I like the bald guy, too, and figure he'll win. I don't know why, but for all Lukas' talent, the sight of him makes me giggle, and that's just not a trait that can play the front man in a rough-and-ready rock band.

Comment

Originally posted by Levia
                  [...]Next season -
                  Rockstar: Super Nanny. JoJo takes the naughty chair on tour.
                  "Tommy, yo' be'avior is no'acceptibo. Sit on the naugh'y chair."

Based on that, alone, I will watch the show next season!

Comment

Ooops .. I'm usually better with name spellings, given my own battle to remind people that my name is spelled with a "k" versus "c."

Zayra -- yes, she was the one in the top-hat and yellow/gold catsuit singing the entirely wrong song for her. She certainly has the body to pull off wearing such a catsuit, as we've previously seen, but that doesn't mean she SHOULD.

Too bad, in a way, about Dana/Dayna. Tommy Lee observed when she did the heavy black eyeliner/Avril Lavigne angst thing a couple weeks ago, that she "finally looked damaged enough" to sing rock-n-roll, or front a rock band, or something. Anyway, she's awfully young, with lots of time ahead of her and was probably not strong enough, professionally or personally to front Supernova. For her, that job would end in tears, or far worse, for sure.

Comment

Opinions on tonight's episode, anyone?
                      I thought almost all of them stepped up their game, but I still say Lukas will win it and Dalana should also be hired as a backup singer, at least.

Comment

I didn't see the whole thing. I haven't been watching this one, although I did enjoy RS:INXS.

Let's see ... I just missed "I Will Survive," but I read the recap of the ep on Televisionwithoutpity.com, and it seems the boys might have been a bit harsh with their critiques. What do you think, Lika? How did she sound?

The guy who did Peter Gabriel did all right, but I was unimpressed with the guitar player. Is he supposed to be somebody good? Blah. He took a lively guitar part and made it dull and lifeless.

The chick who sang "Cat's in the Cradle" loves herself too much. But she sounds pretty good, when she's not over-emoting.

I'm finding most of these contestants pretentious to the point where I can hardly stand to watch. It would be more fun if I were in my office at work, watching it with someone else. That's how I watched INXS last year, and that was fun.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                          I didn't see the whole thing. I haven't been watching this one, although I did enjoy RS:INXS.

Let's see ... I just missed "I Will Survive," but I read the recap of the ep on Televisionwithoutpity.com, and it seems the boys might have been a bit harsh with their critiques. What do you think, Lika? How did she sound?

The guy who did Peter Gabriel did all right, but I was unimpressed with the guitar player. Is he supposed to be somebody good? Blah. He took a lively guitar part and made it dull and lifeless.

The chick who sang "Cat's in the Cradle" loves herself too much. But she sounds pretty good, when she's not over-emoting.

I'm finding most of these contestants pretentious to the point where I can hardly stand to watch. It would be more fun if I were in my office at work, watching it with someone else. That's how I watched INXS last year, and that was fun.
                          frick...I'm irked.... I went to rewind the cat's in the cradle song cause I love it... ended up pushing the up button on my DVR and lost the entire song

Comment

I didn't think Zayra had it in her to impress me, but she did. It was the best I've ever heard her.

I thought Lukas did alright, too, but J. Newsted is right to badger him about opening up his throat while singing, to protect his "instrument."

Somehow I missed Dilana ... and I really liked Storm's rendition of "I Will Survive," because she made it her own. Hard to do, with such a song that is so established as to be an anthem. Still, it wasn't rock-y enough -- but I do think the guys were harsh on her. You could tell, during the cutaway shots, that they were not digging on her performance.

Comment

I actually thought Storm's "I Will Survive" was pretty good. Definitely whole-hearted. I could see the guys saying it didn't work for them, but boy, they came out swinging. I often wonder if the other members change their answers if the first guy to speak takes a strong stance one way or the other.

I still find Lukas more funny than entertaining, and his attempt to infuse "depth" into his voice made it sound more like he was getting a cold.

Don't get how Zayra has survived this long.

I agree that being with someone to trade snarky comments with makes these shows much more fun, MadAzza. I guess a message board thread ain't a bad substitute!

Comment

Working...
                              X