Honolulu's best steakhouse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honolulu's best steakhouse?

I have been tasked with putting together a list of recommended steakhouses. I never go out to eat steak as I prefer to cook them myself so I am at a complete loss. Anybody here familiar with the local and/or chain steakhouses? Any favorites? I want to narrow the possibilities before I start spending calories and $$$. Thanks for any and all input.

Re: Honolulu's best steakhouse?

I guess one could consider Sizzler to be the fast food version of a steakhouse, prices are reasonable and unlimited sodas. The drawback is that locations are on Dillingham Blvd and at Pearlridge (the Waikiki one closed a few years ago). There might another one or two on Oahu but I have no idea on where.

There is a fast food steak vendor at the Ala Moana Food Court.

I haven't been to Morton's at Ala Moana yet so I have no idea about them.

Been to Ruth Chris at Restaurant Row a few times. Food is all right, but between the prices and the Ala Carte method of ordering might give some people sticker shock.

Comment

Is Big Island Steakhouse still around? (aloha tower area)

I had a mouth watering steak there...

But in all honesty... Times (SUPERMARKET) Steak Plates are the BOMB!

They were even at the Taste of Honolulu...

For the dollar value... i'd much rather pick up a 6.50 steak plate from times then a sit down dinner at any steak house!

Comment

i know it's not a steakhouse, but murphy's bar and grill makes a great steak...certainly the best ribeye i've had in town...they do a new york and a gaelic steak that are also delicious...
        Don't be mean,
        try to help.

Comment

Stuart Anderson's

Tony Roma's (have steak too)

d.k.

Ruth Chris

Mortons

Hy's Steak house

Buzz's

The Garlic House/Restaurant..... Waialea area..

and that's al i can name off the top of my head!

Comment

Hy's is excellent for its food, ambience (Audy Kimura live most nights), and service. The list should really begin with Hy's.

Buzz's Steakhouse is pretty good. Stuart Anderson's Cattle Company is also pretty good. Outback Steakhouse is a nice, fun place to hang out and have a huge slab of meat. If you've got kids, this is a better choice than any of the othes.

I've had the filet mignon at Benihana, with its teppan-yaki service, and that was maybe the best steak I've ever, ever had.

For something different, but not especially GREAT, there's Ninnikuya on Waialae. Loaded with garlic, of course.

I've never had a meal at Sizzler that I thought was worth what I paid.

Ah...jonesing for some flesh, now...
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I'm pretty sure Big Island Steakhouse is gone. I liked that place, but the steak wasn't all that amazing.

I've never been to Ruth's Chris, but it's supposed to be top notch. I can attest to the steak snobbery at Morton's. That's a place that loves, loves it's huge slabs of dead cow. I loved it.

Most commonly, though, we go slumming at Stuart Anderson's (a.k.a. Black Angus).

Many of these, though, are chains. I'm wondering where the locally-grown steak gems might be.

Comment

I believe Big Island Steak House is reopening in the not too distant future...or am I thinking of another place?

I love Ruth's Chris for a great rib eye and also had a wonderful steak (can't remember which cut but I'd guess rib eye) at the Bali at the HHV.

Comment

We don't eat a lot of steak, but if we do, we go to Stuart Anderson's Cattle Company because they have those coupons in the Sunday paper where you get like 2 prime rib dinners with two sides (or NY Steak or Filet Mignon), the combo appetizer plate and a huge dessert for $35-$40. We always end up with leftovers (mostly the entire appetizer plate) and eat like half the dessert. The first time we used the coupon, the waiter was like "you're gonna need this" and gave us a to-go box before the appetizer arrived. It's just a whole lotta food. It's worth the coupon, I think. My husband likes it because he can get raw horseradish and they have Guinness on tap.
                  Last edited by Kelly0040; August 10, 2006, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Enjoyed d.k. on the first visit.

I'd recommend The Bistro in Century Center.....

Comment

Hy's, Ruth Chris, and Big Island Steakhouse get my vote. Too bad BIS closed . Buzz's Lanikai is okay but they take too long.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
                        Buzz's Lanikai is okay but they take too long.
                        yea.
                        and....
                        they are purdee rude and by the book. they otta move to da mainland. more welcome deah, da way deh operate.

maddie and i went there one day, and were told to wait outside. for a barstool or two. to drink. EVEN THO... get planny kine li dat all around da place. wot kine dat?!
                        bahkatadeh dass wot.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                          I believe Big Island Steak House is reopening in the not too distant future...or am I thinking of another place?
                          Another place is opening where Big Island Steakhouse was located, so perhaps that's the confusion, Tutu? I don't think there's any plan for a BIS anywhere else.
                          I'll add Haleiwa Joe's (just had a great prime rib there a few days ago) and Chart House to the wonderful places already mentioned. Hy's and Ruth's Chris are the kings of the hill and the others fall just short of those two. Oh, and Nick's Fishmarket does an awesome steak, too.
                          And Helen... Sizzler?!?! Look at the title of this thread again! Sizzler as a "best steakhouse"?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally Posted by tutusue

who knows what 'place' yer thinkin of? You mentioned a business. did you mention a "place"?
                            if so, i missed it.
                            BIS closed down at A.T. they will not 'reopen' there.

could be BIS will reopen elsewhere.
                            I do not KNOW what PLACE they will reopen at. IF.. they do.

But NOT at da aloha tower locale.
                            F.L. is opening something there shortly.
                            (at the BIS "place" (locale)

Comment

Id say Hy's, Bistro, Palamino, Ruth Chris, Chucks. Possibly in that order. I miss the rock salt prime rib from Ryans, i always used to order that. Blue Moon, which as moved I think, used to have to tasty Roquefort Steak, basically roquefort (like blue cheese) and butter on a nice cut of steak.
                              Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Working...
                              X