PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest: Game 3

scrivener
August 10th, 2006, 09:11 PM
It's been nearly a year since Game 2, or as some have come to call it, "Surfingfarmboy Returns." I put up a feeler post a few weeks ago, and while the response was somewhat underwhelming, I've gotten some p/mail from people who, even if they don't necessarily want to play it, would like to be spectators, so let's just do it.

We will launch on the evening of August 15, at about 9:00 p.m. and go every night until the last set of questions is posted on the evening of September 14.

Those of you who are just joining us might wish to review the rules (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=4848) as posted in the first contest, and then the additions (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=6617) as posted in the second contest. It wouldn't hurt you to look at the questions and answers, either, to get a sense of what kind of questions you can expect.

And if you've still got some coffee left in your mug and it's not quite time to shove off to work, read my review (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=5535) of The Office -- still the most under-read, under-rated, and under-responded-to thread on HT!

There will be (small but nice) prizes, but don't play the game for the prizes -- play for the agony of defeat!

lavagal
August 11th, 2006, 11:46 AM
I'm in. I sat out the last one because I think we were either planning a trip, going on a trip, or we had company. But this time all I have is enough work to keep me up around the clock for about six weeks, so what the hey?

@;)

scrivener
August 15th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 1!
Here are today's questions!

Category: Sappy Television That Left Us in a Happy Daze
Richie misses the shot and loses the game. Howard (as always) gives
Richie comforting words of wisdom. What kind of candy does he then offer
his son?

Category: He's Singing About Orange Juice, Right?
What invitation did Ted Nugent famously give to anyone who wanted to get
mellow at his concert?

Category: We've Got No Principles
Where on Oahu are people encouraged to "enter to learn," then to "go forth
to serve?"

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Wednesday, August 16! Good luck, and have fun!

scrivener
August 16th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 1!
Here are today's answers!

Category: Sappy Television That Left Us in a Happy Daze
Richie misses the shot and loses the game. Howard (as always) gives
Richie comforting words of wisdom. What kind of candy does he then offer
his son?
A Lifesaver! Peppermint! They actually make a reference to this early episode of Happy Days in a much, much later episode (I believe it's the one where they go to California; the one where the show actually jumped the shark) when Howard says, "Remember when you missed that shot?" and Richie chuckles and says, "Yeah. You offered me a Lifesaver." Then Howard says, "Peppermint!" Five Flavors go to Moto, Surfingfarmboy, and Palama Kid for getting that right!

Category: He's Singing About Orange Juice, Right?
What invitation did Ted Nugent famously give to anyone who wanted to get
mellow at his concert?
In the intro to the live version of "Wang Dang Sweet Poontang," the Nuge says, "Anyone wants to get mellow, you can turn around and the f--- outta here, okay?" Bow-hunted venison goes to Surfingfarmboy, Palama Kid, and Madazza for getting the f--- in there!

Best wrong answer is from Helen, who says, "Drink tomato juice."

Category: We've Got No Principles
Where on Oahu are people encouraged to "enter to learn," then to "go forth
to serve?"
There are two correct answers (at least): BYU-Hawaii and Farrington High School, both of which claim "Enter to learn. Go forth to serve" as their mottos. Hail! Hail! to Surfingfarmboy and Palama Kid for being true to their school!

So after one day, here are the standings!
3: Surfingfarmboy, Palama Kid
1: Madazza, Moto

Plenty of time left to jump in on this game!
New questions, next post!

pzarquon
August 16th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Plenty of time left to jump in on this game! New questions, next post!D'oh! I completely lost track of this. I've gotta bookmark the thread, 'cause without bumps it disappears off the active threads list pretty quickly!

Answers via e-mail to mitchell@mitchellkdwyer.net, yes? Have you gotten prize contributions? I'll definitely toss something into the mix, which is the best way to participate when you're going to reliably come in at the bottom of the heap. :p

scrivener
August 16th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 2!

Category: Malled, Then Eatin'
One of Hawaii's earliest shopping-center food-courts was at Pearlridge Center in the 1970s. What was its name?

Category: 42!
It's an Oahu street, but it's also a lake and an island (that last part fairly recently). What the heck is this?

Category: Shut Your Trapezoid!
What annual event is run by the mathematics club of Brigham Young University-Hawaii? I'm only taking the official name of this event OR its popular nickname. If it looks like a guess, I'm not counting it!

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Thursday, August 17! Good luck, and have fun!

lavagal
August 16th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Even though these were all my "era" I didn't know them, and didn't have the energy to dig 'em out! So I'll try and jump in on day two.

scrivener
August 16th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Answers via e-mail to mitchell@mitchellkdwyer.net, yes? Have you gotten prize contributions? I'll definitely toss something into the mix, which is the best way to participate when you're going to reliably come in at the bottom of the heap.
The email address is for submissions of questions only. Please pmail me your answers to my daily questions.

scrivener
August 17th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 2!

Category: Malled, Then Eatin'
One of Hawaii's earliest shopping-center food-courts was at Pearlridge Center in the 1970s. What was its name?
International Kitchen. I remember getting spaghetti most of the time. I also remember a children's eating area, where there was a television playing Checkers and Pogo or something like that. My mom took us here often when my dad was deployed. I can't decide whether this is a happy memory or a sad one. Sushi, calzone, taquitos, and mandoo for helen, localgrl, pzarquon, erika engle, and surfingfarmboy for knowing that one!

Category: 42!
It's an Oahu street, but it's also a lake and an island (that last part fairly recently). What the heck is this?

Yeah, I know this question wasn't as clear as it could have been, but many of you had the right idea, with a close-but-not-quite answer of "Salt Lake." I was referring to the road that is mostly called "Salt Lake Boulevard" but becomes "Ford Island Boulevard." See? It's a street, but it's a Lake and an Island.

http://www.mitchellkdwyer.net/images/fordislandblvd.jpg.

Nobody got it, 'though I really like surfingfarmboy's answer: "Vancouver Drive in St. Louis Heights." Isn't Vancouver drive in Manoa?

Category: Shut Your Trapezoid!
What annual event is run by the mathematics club of Brigham Young University-Hawaii? I'm only taking the official name of this event OR its popular nickname. If it looks like a guess, I'm not counting it!
It's the Hawaii State Mathematics Championship, or the Math Bowl. I have some great Math Bowl stories, but perhaps another time. tan(45) points to helen, localgrl, pzarquon, moto, surfingfarmboy, and palama kid being ready to rhombus!

Here are the current standings!
5: Surfingfarmboy
4: Palama Kid
2: Moto, pzarquon, localgrl, helen
1: Madazza, Erika Engle

Everyone's still in it, so don't be afraid to jump in! New questions, next post!

scrivener
August 17th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 3!
Here are today's questions! Today's theme: The high school teacher is exhausted and pop culture questions are just easier to think up!

Category: You Can't Hide Your Lion Eyes
What 1969 rock and roll album's cover-art looks at first like a black-and-white drawing of a roaring lion, but on closer inspection reveals a whole bunch of freaky faces?

Category: May I Go Wee Now? Yes, You May Go Wee. Wheeeee!
What local publication recently printed a photo of Michelle Wee hanging out at the Ocean Club?

Category: The Sound and the Furry
What comic strip character recently attempted to pull an "all dayer," staying up at least until noon?

My apologies for the quality of today's questions. I'll come up with better ones tomorrow!

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Friday, August 18! Good luck, and have fun!

Surfingfarmboy
August 17th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Isn't Vancouver drive in Manoa?

Manoa...St.Louis Heights...they are all pretty much the same to me. :) But yes..to be as accurate as possible, Vancouver Drive, though close (and a mountain ridge away) to STH, is located in Manoa. Like Royal Summit is in Pearl City. (Just kidding, Mitchell!..I'm not going to open up that can of worms and subsequent thread from the Trivia game #1!)

scrivener
August 18th, 2006, 12:44 AM
Today's questions are just as I intend them. That's all I'll say.

pzarquon
August 18th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Man, I wasted so much time on that "street, lake and island" question. Sure learned a lot about Hawaii lakes, though.

scrivener
August 18th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 3!

Category: You Can't Hide Your Lion Eyes
What 1969 rock and roll album's cover-art looks at first like a black-and-white drawing of a roaring lion, but on closer inspection reveals a whole bunch of freaky faces?
I'm too lazy to put a picture of it here, but feel free to google santana "self-titled" and see if you can get a close-up look. It's kind of a neat cover. Palama Kid, Mel, Surfingfarmboy, Leo Lakio, and pzarquon (who provided this cool article (http://www.newsreview.com/sacramento/Content?oid=oid%3A14034) about the artist) don't need to change their evil ways, since they got it right! Jdub gets a half-point for getting the artist right but the album title wrong.

Category: May I Go Wee Now? Yes, You May Go Wee. Wheeeee!
What local publication recently printed a photo of Michelle Wee hanging out at the Ocean Club?
This one may not have been fair to our mainlanders, but it was findable (http://www.midweek.com/content/spotted/image_full/4336/), and besides, nobody got it right! Uh-huh. Midweek is read by more people than the Star-Bulletin? Apparently not on HT!

Category: The Sound and the Furry
What comic strip character recently attempted to pull an "all dayer," staying up at least until noon?
This link (http://www.comics.com/comics/getfuzzy/archive/getfuzzy-20060817.html) will only be good for a few weeks, so click it now. Yes, it's Bucky Katt in Get Fuzzy. A trip to the fishmonger's dumpster for Jdub, Leo Lakio, and pzarquon for getting that right!

6: Surfingfarmboy
5: Palama Kid
4: pzarquon
2: Moto, localgrl, helen, Leo Lakio
1.5: jdub
1: Madazza, Erika Engle, mel

scrivener
August 19th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 4!

Category: Charm School
What HTer, absent for more than a year, owns a Good Luck shop in the 99 Ranch Market?

Category: And She Shot an Arrow into My Heart
What Oscar-winning actress very nearly made the 2000 U.S. archery team?

Category: Stop in the Name of Love
What is the name of the popular children's playground game where players race toward a child while his or her back is turned but freeze in place when he or she turns around to face them? (additional info: if somone is seen moving when the child turns around, he or she is sent back to the starting line)

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Saturday, August 19! Good luck, and have fun!

scrivener
August 19th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 4!

Category: Charm School
What HTer, absent for more than a year, owns a Good Luck shop in the 99 Ranch Market?
Why, that would be Olelo regular and former mayoral candidate Lillian Hong (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/member.php?u=370) at her Good Luck store in Mapunapuna's 99 Ranch Market. Little jade frogs to Moto, the only one who got that one right!

Category: And She Shot an Arrow into My Heart
What Oscar-winning actress very nearly made the 2000 U.S. archery team?
The graceful, lovely, talented, smart Geena Davis. *sigh* She puts a quiver in me whenever I see her. Helen, localgrl, Surfingfarmboy, mel, and Moto hit the bullseye on that one!

Category: Stop in the Name of Love
What is the name of the popular children's playground game where players race toward a child while his or her back is turned but freeze in place when he or she turns around to face them? (additional info: if somone is seen moving when the child turns around, he or she is sent back to the starting line)
It's the eternally fun Red Light, Green Light! Localgrl and Surfingfarmboy get extra recess for remembering this classic!

8: Surfingfarmboy
5: Palama Kid
4: pzarquon, Moto, localgrl
3: helen
2: Leo Lakio, mel
1: Madazza, Erika Engle

We're only 12.9% of the way through this game, so jump in!

scrivener
August 19th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 5!

Category: We Wanted to Push Them Around
What band didn't show up at 1997's Poifest?

Category: The Politics of Dancing
What retired local politician's wife was once in a movie with Elvis Presley?

Category: I Got Unlucky, Babe, When I Saw This Movie
What is the odd connection between a Johnny Depp movie that's one of the
worst films I've ever seen and Tom Petty's Heartbreakers? (note: this question has NOTHING to do with the video for "Into the Great Wide Open")

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 20! Good luck, and have fun!

scrivener
August 20th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 5!

Category: We Wanted to Push Them Around
What band didn't show up at 1997's Poifest?
The Verve Pipe, Buck-o-Nine, Cowboy Mouth, and Matchbox 20 made it out to Kuilima that day, but Smash Mouth supposedly missed a flight. Two lighters up for Moto, Surfingfarmboy, Palama Kid, Erika Engle, localgrl, and Mel for getting that one right!

Category: The Politics of Dancing
What retired local politician's wife was once in a movie with Elvis Presley?
It was the former Vicky Tiu (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0864581/), of the Ginny Tiu Revue, who appeared with Elvis in It Happened at the World's Fair. Little Vicky Tiu grew up to experience success as the owner of United Laundry Services and then to marry Governor Ben Cayetano. Washington Place Christmas ornaments go to Moto, Surfingfarmboy, and Mel for knowing that one!

Category: I Got Unlucky, Babe, When I Saw This Movie
What is the odd connection between a Johnny Depp movie that's one of the
worst films I've ever seen and Tom Petty's Heartbreakers? (note: this question has NOTHING to do with the video for "Into the Great Wide Open")
Nobody got this! So I'm going to do something I've never done in this game: Grant a one-day extension with a hint (like in the logos, buildings, and art game). The film was Dead Man, a stinker if ever I've seen one. Half a point for finding the connection between this film and Tom Petty's Heartbreakers.

10: Surfingfarmboy
6: Palama Kid, Moto
5: localgrl
4: pzarquon, mel
3: helen
2: Leo Lakio, Erika Engle
1: Madazza

New questions, next post! Feel free to jump in if you've been a little shy!

damontucker
August 20th, 2006, 10:04 PM
You guys all too smart for me:(

scrivener
August 20th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 6!

Category: His Blood is in My Instrument
Which HTer is said by some to bear a resemblance to the director of the Honolulu Symphony Pops?

Category: Big Shues to Fill

Who's this?
http://www.mitchellkdwyer.net/images/trivia3.jpg

Category: I'm Not One to Toot My Own Horn (but I would if I could)
What instruments are known by Juilliard students as "the big three?"

And don't forget: Half a point for the correct answer to yesterday's unanswered question!

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Monday, August 21! Good luck, and have fun!

mel
August 21st, 2006, 08:23 PM
Aaack! I just tried to PM my answers for Day 6 and I got this nasty system message:

scrivener has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space.

I am tempted to post my answer here... but it is all wrong! :eek:

I sent it through the email address you posted in this thread. This should count given your PM box is still full after 4 trys. I'll keep trying until 8:59 PM.

scrivener
August 21st, 2006, 09:03 PM
of course it will count.
but just in case someone didn't think of that, i'll take guesses for another hour.

Menehune Man
August 21st, 2006, 09:14 PM
Who's this?

What a lovely face!

scrivener
August 21st, 2006, 10:45 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 6!

Category: His Blood is in My Instrument
Which HTer is said by some to bear a resemblance to the director of the Honolulu Symphony Pops?
Today was the first day of school, and I'm too tired to put up pictures. However, I decided when I posted this last night that I'd pretty much take any answer, because as soon as one person says it, that counts as "some."
There were three votes for pzarquon, two for me, and two for doc (adrian). I think you're crazy if you think ryan or adrian looks like him, and I only do on a good day, but we both have ponytails tied back, goatees, round-framed glasses, and a little bit of extra storage for winter. I never thought I looked much like him until I pulled the most recent issue of MidWeek out of the mailbox and at first thought it was me! Standing ovations for mel, palama kid, pzarquon, helen, surfingfarmboy, localgrl, and moto!

Category: Big Shues to Fill

Who's this?
It's Tamlyn Tomita (pictured here for a part she played in JAG for two seasons), Ralph Macchio's love-interest in The Karate Kid, Part II and Waverly the chess-demon in The Joy Luck Club, a movie I have great admiration for, for several reasons. Green tea for helen, pzarquon, and moto!

Category: I'm Not One to Toot My Own Horn (but I would if I could)
What instruments are known by Juilliard students as "the big three?"
According to Nothing but the Best, a wonderful book about life at Juilliard, the Big Three are the piano, violin, and cello. Makes sense when you think about it. Many of you got two, but only Palama Kid got three (and I think he was guessing)! One person offered "Three-piece serving set" for Juilliard's culinary school.

And don't forget: Half a point for the correct answer to yesterday's unanswered question!
Palama Kid and pzarquon both quoted the same blurb: "Billy Bob Thornton's character is named Big George Drakoulious. George Drakoulis is a musician and has produced music for The Black Crowes and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Jared Harris' character is named Benmont Tench. Benmont Tench is a member of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers." I was really going for the Benmont Tench angle. Save yourself a few hours and don't see this lousy movie. Wildflowers and half a point each for palama kid and pzarquon.

11: Surfingfarmboy
8.5: Palama Kid
8: Moto
6.5: pzarquon
6: localgrl
5: mel, helen
2: Leo Lakio, Erika Engle

scrivener
August 21st, 2006, 10:59 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 7!

Category: Seoul Food
What Korean dish, available in just about every Korean restaurant in America, it seems, is made with various mixed vegetables served on steamed rice, often with a fried egg and a small amount of beef?

Category: Radio Killed the Sudoku-Maker
Whose nightly, nationally syndicated radio show mixes advice for the lovelorn with five hours of sappy love-songs, plus personal updates, listener requests, and song-dedications, and makes me nearly ill in every plate-lunch restaurant I ever go to on weeknights?

Category: The Dancingest Hemisphere of All!
What group of internationally touring college-aged singers and dancers has performed at four SuperBowl halftime shows?

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Tuesday, August 22! Good luck, and have fun!

Surfingfarmboy
August 21st, 2006, 11:56 PM
Regarding Tamlyn Tomita: One comment....Arrrrgghhh!

I asked several of my fellow plowboys if they recognized the picture of Tomita yesterday, and most of them replied that she looked familiar...that perhaps (or said she actually was) was on the television show JAG! I ignored their answers completely and thought to myself that Tomita was perhaps some recent local hot-shot naval officer of note somewhere in the Honolulu metro area who did something recently to warrent being in the news there.

My propensity of not watching any network TV, other than the nighty news, football games, and The Weather Channel, is going to kill me this round of trivia!

pzarquon
August 22nd, 2006, 06:50 AM
Regarding Tamlyn Tomita: One comment....Arrrrgghhh! When I first saw the photo, I had the same thought... "This must be the new public information officer for the Navy in Hawaii or something."

I'm sure my wife will be happy to learn that I had a hard time naming her as well. Scrivener has designated so many women - some famous, some not - as total babes, that I couldn't narrow them down enough. Fortunately, as usual, his clue was key, and I knew the woman in the photo either preceded or followed Elisabeth Shue in a role, hence, Karate Kid and Karate Kid II.

Leo Lakio
August 22nd, 2006, 07:59 AM
**********************************ooooops!******** *

Palama Kid
August 22nd, 2006, 08:09 AM
I knew the woman in the photo either preceded or followed Elisabeth Shue in a role, hence, Karate Kid and Karate Kid II.
Huh??? You got that from "Shues" ???

And to think, I told Scrivener that my guess is Kelly Hu because of his misspelling clue. Well, at least, they kinda-sorta look alike (Hu and Tomita, not Scriv and Hu). Don't they? Or at my advanced age, are all Asian women starting to look alike? Man, when I was young, I think I could differentiate among Japanese, Chinese, and Korean. Not no mo.

Naaah, I can still tell my sisters-in-law apart. Don't tell my sisters-in-law, but maybe it's just younger women.

scrivener
August 22nd, 2006, 09:39 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 7!

Category: Seoul Food
What Korean dish, available in just about every Korean restaurant in America, it seems, is made with various mixed vegetables served on steamed rice, often with a fried egg and a small amount of beef?
You know it's bi bim bap, and so did Surfingfarmboy, Palama Kid, and pzarquon!

Category: Radio Killed the Sudoku-Maker
Whose nightly, nationally syndicated radio show mixes advice for the lovelorn with five hours of sappy love-songs, plus personal updates, listener requests, and song-dedications, and makes me nearly ill in every plate-lunch restaurant I ever go to on weeknights?
Yes, that would be Delilah after Dark (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delilah_Rene). She seems like a very, very, very nice lady; I just hate her radio show! I'd like to dedicate "Hard to Say I'm Sorry" to helen, Surfingfarmboy, Palama Kid, pzarquon, Leo Lakio!

Category: The Dancingest Hemisphere of All!
What group of internationally touring college-aged singers and dancers has performed at four SuperBowl halftime shows?
Up! With! People! Yes, the peppy, positive, peerless Up With People has performed at four SuperBowls, in the days before women took their tops off in order to revitalize their careers. Dirty little secret: I kinda wanted to join Up with People. So hip-hip-hooray to helen, palama kid, surfingfarmboy, and pzarquon for getting that right!

Where were mel and localgrl? I know Moto's in Korea (he got yesterday's questions in from somewhere over there!), so he's excused!

Here are the current standings:
14: Surfingfarmboy
11.5: Palama Kid
9.5: pzarquon
8: Moto
7: helen
6: localgrl
5: mel
3: Leo Lakio
2: Erika Engle

scrivener
August 22nd, 2006, 10:00 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 8!

Category: Hunting Hi and Lo in Hilo, HI.
What Big Island spot is named for its (usual) resemblance to large, steaming cooking vessels?

Category: I Found My Thrill on Newbery Hill
When E.L. Konigsburg's The View From Saturday was awarded the Newbery Medal in 1997, the author joined a rather exclusive club whose other members are Lois Lowry, Katherine Paterson, and Joseph Krumgold. What puts these writers in the same club?

Category: Hey Joe, Where You Goin' with that Mug in Your Hand?
What does it mean if you order a cup of coffee "with room?"

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Wednesday, August 23! Good luck, and have fun!

Note: The teacher is a bit stressed this week...he may have to take a night off from the game between now and Saturday. Stay tuned.

mel
August 22nd, 2006, 10:38 PM
Where were mel and localgrl?

Just totally forgot about the game today!

Mike_Lowery
August 23rd, 2006, 09:26 PM
I'm not playing the game, but damn, Tamlyn Tomita's half Filipino???

I'm in love now... :D

scrivener
August 23rd, 2006, 10:27 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 8!

Category: Hunting Hi and Lo in Hilo, HI.
What Big Island spot is named for its (usual) resemblance to large, steaming cooking vessels?
I almost put this in the category of "Waaaaaaaay Too Easy," but what the heck. Yes, you all knew it was Boiling Pots, as did Helen, mel, Palama Kid, Surfingfarmboy, and Moto, who get one point each for bubbling to the top.

Category: I Found My Thrill on Newbery Hill
When E.L. Konigsburg's The View From Saturday was awarded the Newbery Medal in 1997, the author joined a rather exclusive club whose other members are Lois Lowry, Katherine Paterson, and Joseph Krumgold. What puts these writers in the same club?
These four distinguised writers have each been awarded the Newbery twice. Amazing. Twenty minutes of sustained silent reading time go to helen, Palama Kid, and Surfingfarmboy for leafing no stone unturned.

Category: Hey Joe, Where You Goin' with that Mug in Your Hand?
What does it mean if you order a cup of coffee "with room?"
"With room," is a request for a little bit less than a full cup, leaving room for cream, sugar, milk, or whatever else you might drop in there. Palama Kid, Surfingfarmboy, Moto, and Cranberee (a Cranberee sighting!) have bean around a cup or two, as they demonstrated by getting this question right! That's grounds for one point each!

17: Surfingfarmboy
14.5: Palama Kid
10: Moto
9.5: pzarquon
9: helen
6: localgrl, mel
3: Leo Lakio
1: Madazza, Cranberee

scrivener
August 23rd, 2006, 10:46 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 9!

Category: 'Ass Why Card
A fifth suit is added to a standard deck of cards. Assuming the fifth suit’s ranks are identical to the other suits’ ranks (2 through ace), what is the probability that two cards drawn from this deck will be of matching suits?

Category: Dangerous Minds Back to School
Dylan Thomas's famous poem, "Do Not Go Gentle into That Good Night," (you've certainly heard it or read it) is an example of what kind of poem? I'm asking for the literary term for the form this poem takes.

Category: You're Just My Type
What unit of typographic measure is about one-sixth of an inch?

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Thursday, August 24! Good luck, and have fun!

We're not even a third of the way through this game, so be like Cranberee and don't hesitate to jump on in!

damontucker
August 23rd, 2006, 10:47 PM
Are you fricking trying to make my brain have one brain attack?

localgrl
August 24th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Are you fricking trying to make my brain have one brain attack?

Hey Manoa.....I already have a brain attack goin on :( ...I miss playing cause :( jus started college on Monday and we're already crammed with work,so I'll be in and out of this game.

scrivener
August 24th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 9!

Category: 'Ass Why Card
A fifth suit is added to a standard deck of cards. Assuming the fifth suit’s ranks are identical to the other suits’ ranks (2 through ace), what is the probability that two cards drawn from this deck will be of matching suits?
Adding a fifth suit adds 13 cards to a deck of 52, right? So now there are 65 cards in the deck. When you draw a card out of it, there are 64 cards remaining. Now, the card you've drawn will be any of the five suits. There are twelve cards left in that deck of 64 that are the same suit. This means that the next card you draw will have a 12 in 64 chance of being the same suit as the first card you drew. 12 in 64 is 1 chance in 5.333, or .1875, or an 18.75% chance.

Interesting that this question came up the same day we revived the gambling discussion. Did you know that the straight-up odds in Craps favor the house by less than one percent? This means that while, over time, you will still lose money, your chances of winning money are pretty close to even. Because the house takes so very many bets, it comes out ahead at a rate profitable enough to make LOTS of money! So my advice (and I've never gambled in a casino in my life except to play Bingo with my grandma) is to play Craps if you're going to gamble: Learn all the wagering propositions and find the deal that most closely approaches 50-50 and JUST play that.

Sevens go to Palama Kid, Surfingfarmboy, and Moto for getting on a roll on that one.

Category: Dangerous Minds Back to School
Dylan Thomas's famous poem, "Do Not Go Gentle into That Good Night," (you've certainly heard it or read it) is an example of what kind of poem? I'm asking for the literary term for the form this poem takes.
This poem played a large part in the movies Dangerous Minds and Back to School (a film I really, really like), and is a villanelle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villanelle). This tricky, fun form has intrigued me lately and I'm thinking of someday setting up a site dedicated to the villanelle, similar to Sonnet Central (http://www.sonnets.org), but I've got enough things on my plate right now, thank you very much.

Congratulations to Helen, pzarquon, Leo Lakio, Palama Kid, Surfingfarmboy, Moto, and Mel, who beat The Force That Through the Green Fuse Drives the Flower (http://www.undermilkwood.net/poetry_theforce.html) and did Not Go Gentle into That Good Night.

Category: You're Just My Type
What unit of typographic measure is about one-sixth of an inch?
Helen, pzarquon, Leo Lakio, Surfingfarmboy, Moto, localgrl, and mel knew that the word we were looking for was pica.

I can never predict what's going to cause people to respond warmly, but this was a popular question. pzarquon added an exclamation point to his answer ("a pica!"), Leo Lakio's answer was, "a happy little pica, friend!," and mel offered this retrospective that's interesting enough to quote entirely (I'm sure he won't mind):

I used to use this a lot when I was a typesetter, editor, and photographer at school (way back in the late 70s) and later on at a printing firm in Downtown Honolulu. The machine we used was the Itek Quadritek (both at school and at the firm and even at the ad agency I worked at)....

The person who sold our school this was Blaine Fergerstrom who at the time was working at a firm called Smart Supply who trained us on the $17,000 machine! The one we had at the print company and ad agency was $21,000.

You had to hand code (like raw HTML) all of the archaic typesetting codes. It also was not a GUI environment... still I got good at setting columns of type and even designing forms by using the trusty PICA and POINTS ruler to measure horizontal and vertical lengths and then entering all of the correct codes into the machine, which thankfully by the time I was working on the $21,000 machine, it was all saved to 5.25 inch floppy discs.

The machine used an operating system called TOS and could be interfaced with a network wire into an IBM Displaywriter word processor. I actually enjoyed working on the old beast as I was one of few who knew the codes well enough to get paid some good money to crank this stuff out without much problem.

Alas the Mac came along and computerized phototypesetting fell by the wayside and the rest is all history.

I have a webpage about the Quadritek:

http://macpro.freeshell.org/quadritek/q1.html

Blaine also had his own small graphics shop and our printing company would send photos to him so that he could make "veloxes". It was literally all cut and paste in those days.

To which I can only add this question: Does everyone who ever worked in Downtown Honolulu know everyone else who has ever worked in Downtown Honolulu? It certainly seems that way.

20: Surfingfarmboy
16.5: Palama Kid
13: Moto
11.5: pzarquon
11: helen
8: mel
7: localgrl
5: Leo Lakio

scrivener
August 24th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 10!

Category: I Only Ask Questions Like This to Make People Think I'm Old-School (when I'm really just old)
I used to dial up my favorite online chat system, the legendary Saimin (http://www.saimin2.com), by typing ATDP4877256. Why P?

Category: What Exactly Does One Buy There?
What landmark store marks the junction of Kamehameha and Kahekili Highways?

Category: See You in the Funny Pages
Who painted this?

http://www.mitchellkdwyer.net/images/trivia3b.jpg

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Friday, August 25! Good luck, and have fun!

scrivener
August 25th, 2006, 11:39 AM
A little more about picas.

I'm the yearbook advisor at my school, and as you can imagine, yearbook production looks quite a bit different from how it looked when most of us were growing up. Jostens still offers the option of pasting photos and copy onto boards for the plant to reproduce, and as in the old days, the boards are ruled with picas.

However, there are other options: one is a Josten's plug-in for Adobe InDesign, and with this plugin, spaces for photos and copy are measured in picas and points; the absolute location of an item on a page is given in picas and points, too, which was confusing for me at first, because I thought 12.3 meant twelve point three pixels, which it does not! The rulers at the tops and bottoms of pages are graduated in picas.

So even though there's no reason to use picas, the unit of measurement continues, and I kinda like it that way.

scrivener
August 25th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 10!

Category: I Only Ask Questions Like This to Make People Think I'm Old-School (when I'm really just old)
I used to dial up my favorite online chat system, the legendary Saimin (http://www.saimin2.com), by typing ATDP4877256. Why P?
ATDP is part of the Hayes Command Set (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayes_command_set), but most of you knew that. The "p" is for "pulse," because I had a pulse line. If I'd had a tone line, the prefix would have been ATDT. Helen, mel, pzarquon, moto, mel, and surfingfarmboy all came through loud and clear on that one!

Category: What Exactly Does One Buy There?
What landmark store marks the junction of Kamehameha and Kahekili Highways?
Oh, you knew it was the Hygienic Store, and so did mel, moto, pzarquon, and surfingfarmboy! Why the heck is it called that, anyway?

Category: See You in the Funny Pages
Who painted this?

http://www.mitchellkdwyer.net/images/trivia3b.jpg
Several of you guessed that it was Andy Warhol, and that's not a bad guess, since we're talking about what's definitely pop art. However, if you know the name Roy Lichtenstein (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Lichtenstein), you know this HAS to be him. If you don't, click over to the Wiki article and get familiar. He's worth reading up on. Leo Lakio and Surfingfarmboy were the only ones who got it.

23: Surfingfarmboy
16.5: Palama Kid
15: Moto
13.5: pzarquon
12: helen
10: mel
6: Leo Lakio

scrivener
August 25th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 11!

Category: It Takes a Big Man
In E.B. White's Stuart Little, Stuart has several adventures while he searches for Margalo, a robin he is in love with. One of these adventures is taking a job for one day. What is this job?

Category: Why Don't You Meet Any Luciuses Anymore?
What are the next two names in a sequence that includes George, Walter, Lucius, and Charles, in that order?

Category: That's No Symbol, That's My Wife!
What is the name of this symbol?

http://www.mitchellkdwyer.net/images/trivia3d.png

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Saturday, August 26! Good luck, and have fun!

Leo Lakio
August 26th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Oh, you knew it was the Hygienic StoreYes, I did/shoulda knowed that...and if I were asking the Alpha Female for assistance (rather than trying to get these all by my lonesome), she woulda known it in a flash. I've been at that intersection so many times, too. I go hang my head in shame for awhile now... :o

scrivener
August 27th, 2006, 12:10 AM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 11!

Category: It Takes a Big Man
In E.B. White's Stuart Little, Stuart has several adventures while he searches for Margalo, a robin he is in love with. One of these adventures is taking a job for one day. What is this job?
He filled in as a schoolteacher, and as Leo Lakio reminds me, he and the class together came up with a new set of rules, and the first one was "absolutely no being mean." Leo also reminds me that Margalo was a wren, not a robin. I actually can't confirm that right now, but he might be right. Palama Kid reminds us that it was Miss Gundersen he was filling in for. And those are the only two who got it right!

If you haven't read Stuart Little or if it's been a very long time, do yourself a favor and read it. There's something sad, wistful, and sweet about this book...White thought he was close to death, so he wrote it quickly and finished it abruptly, and the result is something quite different in children's literature. It's truly a beautiful work.

Category: Why Don't You Meet Any Luciuses Anymore?
What are the next two names in a sequence that includes George, Walter, Lucius, and Charles, in that order?
It's a list of governors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Governors_of_Hawaii) of the U.S. territory of Hawaii. The next two in the list are Wallace Farrington and Lawrence Judd. Congratulations to Leo Lakio, helen, Palama Kid, and mel, who all got that one correct!

Category: That's No Symbol, That's My Wife!
What is the name of this symbol?

http://www.mitchellkdwyer.net/images/trivia3d.png

It's an ankh, the Egyptian symbol of life and a great Scrabble word. Mike Lowery, Cranberee, Leo Lakio, Palama Kid, Helen, Surfingfarmboy, Erika Engle, and mel all got it right! Mel says that he knew it first from Logan's Run, which is where I first learned about it, too.

So here are the current standings!
24: Surfingfarmboy
19.5: Palama Kid
15: Moto
14: helen
12: mel
9: Leo Lakio
3: Erika Engle
2: Cranberee
1: Madazza, Mike Lowery

scrivener
August 27th, 2006, 01:11 AM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 12!

Category: Time Keeps on Slippin'
Which two members of the current UH-Manoa Women's Volleyball team have renewed my interest in collegiate v-ball? It's not what you think, Ryan!

Category: I Wanna Be Famous, a Star of the Screen
What are the make and model of this vehicle?

http://www.mitchellkdwyer.net/images/trivia3e.jpg

Category: What's My Line?
When the rabbit comes out of his hole, circles the tree, then jumps back into his hole, what have you created?

Please send your answers to me as PRIVATE MESSAGES by 9:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 27! Good luck, and have fun!

scrivener
August 27th, 2006, 01:14 AM
I know that first question's not really fair, and perhaps something of a vanity question, but I'm super-duper tired and thought the self-indulgence was fairly well-earned!

Sorry.

Palama Kid
August 27th, 2006, 02:49 AM
I know that first question's not really fair, and perhaps something of a vanity question, but I'm super-duper tired and thought the self-indulgence was fairly well-earned!

Sorry.
Nuff already !!! No more hints, PUHLEEZE !!! And since you're doing all the hard work, no apologies accepted.

Now, you (and I) did it . . . helped everybody. <grumble, grumble, grumble>

scrivener
August 27th, 2006, 07:12 PM
I think tonight would be a good night for me to take a little break from the game. Hopefully I'll be charged up and get the game back up Monday evening. Please check for new questions then. Thanks.

scrivener
August 28th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 12!

Category: Time Keeps on Slippin'
Which two members of the current UH-Manoa Women's Volleyball team have renewed my interest in collegiate v-ball? It's not what you think, Ryan!
Check out Jayme Lee (http://www.hawaiiathletics.com/Player/player.html?pid=12&aid=13418) and Rayna Kitaguchi (http://www.hawaiiathletics.com/Player/player.html?pid=12&aid=13417), who not only graduated from my dear old alma mater, Hawaii Baptist Academy, but who were both students of mine when they were ninth-graders in 2001 and 2002. I still have some of their work. If this team wins a national title, I'm selling it on eBay! Just kidding. Surfingfarmboy, mel, Palama Kid, and Moto spiked that one in-bounds!

Category: I Wanna Be Famous, a Star of the Screen
What are the make and model of this vehicle?

http://www.mitchellkdwyer.net/images/trivia3e.jpg

It's the Volkswagen Thing! I loved these things when I was a kid, and my interest in them has never waned -- there's just something about them! Vroom Vroom to craigwatanabe, south kona, surfingfarmboy, helen, erika engle, mel, palama kid, and moto for knowing that Thing. And, and...that other Thing!

Category: What's My Line?
When the rabbit comes out of his hole, circles the tree, then jumps back into his hole, what have you created?
Okay, there was one answer I really wanted to hear, and another answer I knew I'd have to take because some would insist, and there's this third answer I can't confirm. So if someone can, that would be great and I'll award the point belatedly. I wanted to hear that it was a Bowline (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowline), a very useful knot that creates a non-slipping loop at the end of a rope and which every Boy Scout should know! The trick to tying it correctly is not just in putting the rabbit through his paces in the correct order, but in knowing which parts of the rope to pull when you tighten the knot. Surfingfarmboy, helen, Palama Kid, and Leo Lakio correctly identified the knot, as did a non-playing HTer who emailed me the answer in private.

I've heard some people teach elementary schoolers the same mnemonic when teaching them to tie the bow in their shoelaces (I worked at elementary schools for five years). I don't think it's a good description for this knot, but it seems to work, and Erika Engle (as well as another non-playing HTer who told me in private) guessed that, so of course I have to take it! What, Erika? You weren't a Boy Scout? :)

The answer I wasn't expecting, but which I suspect may be okay because the person clearly knew it was about a knot (not something just anyone would have guessed based on the clue) was from craigwatanabe: A necktie knot. Can anyone confirm that this is something people use in learning to tie a necktie? Seems to me that for the standard knot, the rabbit first goes around the tree, then up the hole (which doesn't make sense), then down....something. So someone please help craig get this point!

Two great wrong answers: One Tired Rabbit (South Kona), and Huh????? (mel).

27: Surfingfarmboy
22.5: Palama Kid
17: Moto
16: helen
14: mel
10: Leo Lakio
5: Erika Engle
1: Madazza, Mike Lowery, craigwatanabe, SouthKona

scrivener
August 28th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 13!

Category: Aaaaaaiaiiiiiiiyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeee!
What "make and model" of ice cream is described on its container as "apple pie ice cream with apples and pie crust pieces?"

Category: Significant Pursuit
In Trivial Pursuit, what category of question is asked of the player whose wheel lands in the center space before he or she has earned all his or her wedges?

Category: Tiny Bubbles
During the 1995 school year, what state's SAT-takers had the highest average combined score? C'mon, just guess! You have a 2% chance of getting it right!

Please send your answers to me as PRIVATE MESSAGES by 9:00 p.m. on Tuesday, August 29! Good luck, and have fun!

damontucker
August 28th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Scriv...

I must say that your questions are very complex and make my brain feel like having a brain fut.

I'm sorry if this post is not within the guidelines of this game...however, I would like to give you props for stumping me...

Manoa

scrivener
August 30th, 2006, 03:35 AM
Oh my gosh. I just accidentally closed the tab on a VERY long answer post. I don't have it in me to recreate it right now, but it was (I think) super-interesting, so everyone just hold off on yesterday's answers until later. Tomorrow.

[edit: Whoa! It appears that I fell asleep at the keys before clicking "submit!" Sorry for the late questions, you mainland players!]

Instead, here are today's questions! I'll give two sets of answers Wednesday night! Sorry!

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 14!

Category: Too Easily Googlable
What literary character's sons are named Bonfire and Satan?

Category: LOLlygag
What ridiculously viral catchphrase does this picture illustrate?

http://www.mitchellkdwyer.net/images/trivia3f.jpg

Category: Dear Old Golden-Rule Days
According to a popular high school mnemonic, what did King Philip do, and when did he do it?

Please send your answers to me as PRIVATE MESSAGES by 9:00 p.m. on Wednesday, August 30! Good luck, and have fun!

scrivener
August 30th, 2006, 10:19 PM
[oh my gosh...I just closed the tab on this post-in-progress for the second night in a row!]

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 13!
Here are yesterday's answers!

Category: Aaaaaaiaiiiiiiiyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeee!
What "make and model" of ice cream is described on its container as "apple pie ice cream with apples and pie crust pieces?"
The answer I was looking for was Ben & Jerry's American (Apple) Pie. I've seen it with and without the "apple," but not without the "American." If you've got linkable verification for your different answer, please let me know and I'll correct the score. 'Til then, two scoops for Leo Lakio, Palama Kid, and Surfingfarmboy for coming up with that! By the way, if you find yourself near a Scoop Shop or a supermarket that carries the "limited edition" flavors, pick yourself up a pint or three. You'll thank me. Yummiest ice cream I've had in ages.

Category: Significant Pursuit
In Trivial Pursuit, what category of question is asked of the player whose wheel lands in the center space before he or she has earned all his or her wedges?
Moto, Leo Lakio, Palama Kid, and Surfingfarmboy knew that when a player lands in the middle space (the "hub" of the wheel), the category is the player's choice. There only ONE game-situation where it's a good idea to travel across the wheel like that without a full wheel, and it's when you have to get to the other side from a wedge-space and you've rolled a six. Even then, it's only a good idea if the two spaces around the perimeter that can be reached with a roll of six are distasteful to the player. The idea in Trivial Pursuit is to keep your turn alive until you land on a wedge-space. Cutting across the middle seems like a shortcut, but it's only worthwhile if you roll a six to get to the middle, and then another six to get the rest of the way across; going around the long way, there are more chances to land on "roll again" spaces that continue your turn.

Category: Tiny Bubbles
During the 1995 school year, what state's SAT-takers had the highest average combined score? C'mon, just guess! You have a 2% chance of getting it right!The top ten states are predominantly rural states where between 4% and 9% of eligible high-schoolers took the test, including Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and the state with the highest average, North Dakota (with 5% of its high-schoolers taking the test that year). Meanwhile, states with the highest percentage of test-taking high-schoolers are almost all New England states with what are considered progressive (read: higher salaries for teachers) approaches to education: New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut (which tops the list and, not coincidentally if you ask me, has the highest teachers' salaries in the nation). I have the exact numbers, but I'll cite my answer when I get home -- I'm at a Starbucks right now and am racing against the clock here.

I'd love to know how Palama Kid and Surfingfarmboy got the right answer, but they were the only ones! Moto was on the right track with Iowa, but alas, Iowa only breaks the top five.

Here are the standings as of last night!
30: Surfingfarmboy
25.5: Palama Kid
18: Moto
16: helen
14: mel
12: Leo Lakio

Next post: Today's answers!

edited:
North Dakota's average combined score was 1107 in 1995. Connecticut's was 908, but where ND sent only 5% of its students to the testing centers, 81% of eligible high-schoolers in Connecticut took the test that year. I have been told that Hawaii's percentage is quite high, too, which is one reason our scores tend to be lower. Source: College Entrance Examination Board, by way of H. Aaron Cohl's The Book of Mosts, St. Martin's Press, 1997.

scrivener
August 30th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 14!

Category: Too Easily Googlable
What literary character's sons are named Bonfire and Satan?
I read 'em all when I was a kid, and chances are you also read one or two of Walter Farley's The Black Stallion books. And if you haven't, please do. They are excellent. Black-Eyed Susans for Moto, Cranberee, Palama Kid, Surfingfarmboy, helen, and mel racing to the finish on that one!

Category: LOLlygag
What ridiculously viral catchphrase does this picture illustrate?

http://www.mitchellkdwyer.net/images/trivia3f.jpg

It's a ROFLcopter. Don't ask me; I just tell my students not to write it in their online assignments because it's stupid. Palama Kid and Surfingfarmboy got it.

Category: Dear Old Golden-Rule Days
According to a popular high school mnemonic, what did King Philip do, and when did he do it?
I forgot that there were variants of this thing, even though I've heard a bunch of them and even encouraged the use of a few. Yes, King Philip Came Over From Germany Saturday (there's the "when" for those of you who had no idea what I was talking about) is a mnemonic for remembering the classifications of living things from general to specific: Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species. There are a zillion variants, but here are a few from Palama Kid:

King Phillip Came Over for Good Sex
King Philip Couldn't Order Five Good Sandwiches
King Philip Came Over for Grape Soda
King Philip Came Over For Good Spaghetti
King Philip came over for green spaghetti (or great sex)
King Philip could only find green socks
King Philip classifies ordered families as generally specious
King Phil classed ordinary families as generous and special
King Philip crossed over from Germany to Spain

Two others that exclude King Philip but were invented by clever classmates when I was in ninth grade:
Kevin put cocaine on fire, got stoned.
Kevin put candy on fire, got smoke.

So go to the head of the class, Moto, helen, Palama Kid, and Surfingfarmboy, for getting that one right.

33: Surfingfarmboy
28.5: Palama Kid
20: Moto
18: helen
15: mel
3: Cranberee

damontucker
August 30th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Scrivener...

I just want to give you accolades on this trivia contest.... I give up already!

Surfingfarmboy...you in cohoots? j/k;)

I'm out of this thread from here on out... you truly continue to stump me.......

(sorry if my first attempt to give you props for stumping me may have came off in the wrong way...but you still frying my brain with these questions!)

scrivener
August 30th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 15!

Category: Portable Potables
As with all mixed drinks, this one's got many variants, but what do you ask for when you want a drink that's roughly four parts brandy, two parts triple sec, and one part lemon juice, shaken on ice and strained into a sugar-rimmed glass?

Category: Six Strings, Six Sides
What rock 'n roll guitarist's hollow-body instruments are easily identifiable by
a signature pair of dice glued to the soundboard?

Category: Say Uncle
What Big Island "uncle" has reasonably priced hotels on Hilo's Banyan Drive and on Kona's Ali'i Drive?

Please send your answers to me as PRIVATE MESSAGES by 9:00 p.m. on Thursday, August 31! Good luck, and have fun!

Surfingfarmboy
August 30th, 2006, 11:39 PM
I'd love to know how Palama Kid and Surfingfarmboy got the right answer, but they were the only ones! Moto was on the right track with Iowa, but alas, Iowa only breaks the top five.

North Dakota...sounds like paradise! (http://www.1st-realty.com/community/ndstats.html)

The answer to the 1995 SAT question is embedded in this comprehensive list of North Dakota's good attributes, as item number one in the "Higher Education" section.

Note: I think this list is rather dated..most of the entries refer to events or conditions that occured in the mid-1990s; I don't see anything recent, though, North Dakota being North Dakota, would probably be a leader in most of the catagories noted with a list reflecting statistics from 2006.

Palama Kid
August 31st, 2006, 04:02 AM
I'd love to know how Palama Kid and Surfingfarmboy got the right answer, but they were the only ones!

1. Googled "SAT"

2. went to "collegeboard.com"; then

3. eventually, I found Table 3: Mean SAT Reasoning Test Verbal and Math Scores by State, with Changes for Selected Years

In 2005, 92% of New York's high school graduates took the SAT (for me, this is hard to believe); Hawaii had 61% participation; and California 50%.

Leo Lakio
August 31st, 2006, 11:16 AM
1. Googled "SAT"
2. went to "collegeboard.com"; then
3. eventually, I found Table 3: Mean SAT Reasoning Test Verbal and Math Scores by State, with Changes for Selected Years
I didn't make it to step 3...I shoulda guessed "Iowa," but since I was from there, I wasn't smart enough to know that it wasn't the right answer, either.

Besides, for some twisted reason, I took the ACT rather than the SAT - then went to a Community College, where none of it mattered anyway.

Palama Kid
August 31st, 2006, 12:17 PM
I didn't make it to step 3...I shoulda guessed "Iowa," but since I was from there, I wasn't smart enough to know that it wasn't the right answer, either.

Besides, for some twisted reason, I took the ACT rather than the SAT - then went to a Community College, where none of it mattered anyway.
Truss me, I couldn't tell you HOW I got to that Table. I won't even try to find it now. Juss searched and searched and . . .

BTW I took a pre-SAT (ACT?) and never took the SAT. I can't remember why not.

I got into UH-Manoa without the SAT; after working a year, I recall taking / passing some sort of an "entrance" exam. I suppose you need the SAT now.

SouthKona
August 31st, 2006, 09:27 PM
In 2005, 92% of New York's high school graduates took the SAT (for me, this is hard to believe); Hawaii had 61% participation; and California 50%.

In New York, 96% might have taken the SAT, but only 58% graduated. :(

"The state with the highest overall graduation rate was New Jersey (88 percent), followed by Iowa, Wisconsin, and North Dakota, each with 85 percent. The state with the lowest overall graduation rate was South Carolina (54 percent), followed by Georgia (56 percent) and New York (58 percent)."

Hawaii did not even make the list due to "insufficient data". What does that say about our DOE?? :mad:

The data is from 2003, the most recent available for the article:
http://www.manhattan-institute.org/html/cr_48.htm

scrivener
August 31st, 2006, 09:35 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 15!

Category: Portable Potables
As with all mixed drinks, this one's got many variants, but what do you ask for when you want a drink that's roughly four parts brandy, two parts triple sec, and one part lemon juice, shaken on ice and strained into a sugar-rimmed glass?
We're talking about the Sidecar (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Bartending/Cocktails/Sidecar). Cheers to tutusue, Palama Kid, Pzarquon, and Surfingfarmboy for taking my advice, pulling down their pants, and sliding on the ice! (my favorite toast)

Category: Six Strings, Six Sides
What rock 'n roll guitarist's hollow-body instruments are easily identifiable by
a signature pair of dice glued to the soundboard?
It's the inimitable Brian Setser of the Stray Cats. Mel sent along this picture (which I have resized for one shot and cropped for another, to show you the dice up close).

http://www.mitchellkdwyer.net/images/briansetser1.jpg

http://www.mitchellkdwyer.net/images/briansetser2.jpg

If you dig that Brian Setser rockabilly sound and haven't heard the solo work of Stray Cats bass-player Lee Rocker, you really must. It's groovy, fun, and groovy, in that order! Setser's known for playing the famous Gretsch guitar, which as I type this makes me think I've asked a Gretsch trivia question before! Ugh. I hope that's not right.

Jump, Jive, and Wail your priase for Surfingfarmboy and Mel for getting that one correct! How did you guys figure this one out? Did you just know it?

Category: Say Uncle
What Big Island "uncle" has reasonably priced hotels on Hilo's Banyan Drive and on Kona's Ali'i Drive?
Too easy, hm? Yes, it's Uncle Billy (http://www.unclebilly.com), of Uncle Billy's Hilo Bay Hotel and Uncle Billy's Kona Bay Hotel. I've had nothing but excellent service whenever I've stayed at Uncle Billy's, and because of some hassles I had the last time I tried to stay at my former favorite place to stay, it has now become my lodging of choice in Hilo and in Kona. One point and two cups of coffee for SouthKona, tutusue, Palama Kid, pzarquon, Surfingfarmboy, mel, and Moto for stating their answers without reservations.

Current Standings! Here they are!
36: Surfingfarmboy
30.5: Palama Kid
21: Moto
18: helen
17: mel
15.5: pzarquon
3: Cranberee
2: SouthKona, tutusue
1: Madazza, Mike Lowery, craigwatanabe

scrivener
August 31st, 2006, 09:44 PM
Hawaii did not even make the list due to "insufficient data". What does that say about our DOE??
Be careful about how you read these numbers. A lot of school districts and states count the number of graduates or dropouts in funny ways, and maybe "insufficient data" is there because Hawaii wouldn't play whatever game ws being played by whoever was collecting data. In a lot of places, dropouts aren't counted as official dropouts if they tell their school that they intend to pursue a GED. This is important to the schools, whose NCLB money is partially dependent on these numbers. States with very high graduation rates might simply be better at persuading their dropouts to fill out "I intend to get my GED" paperwork.

scrivener
August 31st, 2006, 09:58 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 16!

Category: Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego's Pregnant Rollerskate?
Where have you come from and where are you headed if you can see Shakespeare Town in your rearview mirror and have your sights set on Mouse Town?

Category: All Bus Up
A lot of people who work at the airport and live on the Leeward side catch the after-work bus in the opposite direction of home, heading toward town. Why do they go so far out of their way before getting a bus going back in the same direction from which they just came, when plenty of buses headed to the Leeward side stop right there on Nimitz, across the airport?

Category: Cereal Killer
What popular breakfast item comes in "pinhead" and "steel cut" varieties?

Please send your answers to me as PRIVATE MESSAGES by 9:00 p.m. on Friday, September 1! Good luck, and have fun!

Palama Kid
August 31st, 2006, 10:37 PM
In New York, 96% might have taken the SAT, but only 58% graduated. :(

"The state with the highest overall graduation rate was New Jersey (88 percent), followed by Iowa, Wisconsin, and North Dakota, each with 85 percent. The state with the lowest overall graduation rate was South Carolina (54 percent), followed by Georgia (56 percent) and New York (58 percent)."

Look, I'm just quoting that Table. It states that "States are listed by percent of high school graduates who took the SAT Reasoning Test".

IOW the table showed the percent of graduates who took the test. I said nada about the graduation RATE !!!

While a laudable graduation rate is being achieved (and hopefully continues) in North Dakota, only 4% of their graduates actually took the SAT in 2005. New York has a deplorable graduation rate, but 92% of their graduates took the SAT in 2005.

Surfingfarmboy
August 31st, 2006, 11:37 PM
Setser's known for playing the famous Gretsch guitar, which as I type this makes me think I've asked a Gretsch trivia question before! Ugh. I hope that's not right.

Jump, Jive, and Wail your priase for Surfingfarmboy and Mel for getting that one correct! How did you guys figure this one out? Did you just know it?

I don't you've asked this one before..it doesn't seem familiar.

The only reason I got this one, which is a total shock to me, ( I figured when I woke up this morning this was going to be a miss), was because my fellow ployboys and myself debated this question all day long yesterday...it dominated our conversation...and based on the possible answers they were coming up with, I took a shot with Brian. I'm not much of a rock and roll listener, but some of my fellow farmboys are. The general consensus was: Go with Brian. Evidently, they know their rock and roll!

mel
September 1st, 2006, 05:58 PM
It's the inimitable Brian Setser of the Stray Cats.

http://www.mitchellkdwyer.net/images/briansetser1.jpg

Since Surfingfarmboy told us how he arrived at his answer, I might as well tell mine. I looked at the question and you said "rock n roll" instead of simply "rock". So that pretty much eliminated most of the classic and modern rock guitar gods... Clapton, Hendrix, Page, etc.

I figure rock n roll, so I started doing a search by dropping a couple of names... Chet Atkins... nope... Roy Orbison.. far from it.... Mark Knopfler, maybe because you mentioned him before.. nada. Thinking about this I figure, rock-a-billy perhaps... and I remembered buying a Stray Cats single way back in 1982... "Sexy Plus 17"... and on the 45's picture sleeve there is a cartoon of the Stray Cats on a hot rod with dice in the window... or was it on the graphics now... anyway I know I have that picture sleeve around with the record... never bothered looking for it... but I did start Googling Brian Setzer to see what came out.. the Google image search is real nice, and there was that picture (above) with Brian and his guitar. Struck gold. Verified with his website and links to his various guitars....

BTW, I also like Dave Alvin and The Blasters for some good rock a billy tunes too.

scrivener
September 1st, 2006, 06:46 PM
I looked at the question and you said "rock n roll" instead of simply "rock". So that pretty much eliminated most of the classic and modern rock guitar gods... Clapton, Hendrix, Page, etc.
I think this is genius, but there's one little flaw in your reasoning, and it's that I call just about everything "rock and roll." I decided about ten years ago (or so) that "rock" is rock and roll. Metal is rock and roll. Disco is rock and roll. Even a lot of 70s soul is rock and roll. "Hot funk, cool punk, even if it's old junk, it's still rock and roll to me," sang Billy Joel, and I guess one day I found myself in total agreement with him.

Still, I just LOVE how you came at the answer!

Leo Lakio
September 1st, 2006, 06:50 PM
Since Surfingfarmboy told us how he arrived at his answer, I might as well tell mine. I looked at the question and you said "rock n roll" instead of simply "rock". So that pretty much eliminated most of the classic and modern rock guitar gods... Clapton, Hendrix, Page, etc.

I figure rock n roll, so I started doing a search by dropping a couple of names... Chet Atkins... nope... Roy Orbison.. far from it.... Mark Knopfler, maybe because you mentioned him before.. nada. Thinking about this I figure, rock-a-billy perhaps... and I remembered buying a Stray Cats single way back in 1982... "Sexy Plus 17"... and on the 45's picture sleeve there is a cartoon of the Stray Cats on a hot rod with dice in the window... or was it on the graphics now... anyway I know I have that picture sleeve around with the record... never bothered looking for it... but I did start Googling Brian Setzer to see what came out.. the Google image search is real nice, and there was that picture (above) with Brian and his guitar. Struck gold. Verified with his website and links to his various guitars....
As my kumu would say, "akamai, dis one..."

scrivener
September 1st, 2006, 11:06 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 16!

Category: Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego's Pregnant Rollerskate (http://www.truckersresource.com/te.shtml)?
Where have you come from and where are you headed if you can see Shakespeare Town in your rearview mirror and have your sights set on Mouse Town?
Shakespeare Town is Stratford, Connecticut in trucker slang (http://www.platial.com/placekraft/map/3057#Hard_Ankle_10-20), and Mouse Town is Orlando, Florida. Moto and Surfingfarmboy get half a point each for getting Orlando, but nobody got Stratford! Your clue was "pregnant rollerskate," which is CB Speak for a Volkswagen Beetle.

Category: All Bus Up
A lot of people who work at the airport and live on the Leeward side catch the after-work bus in the opposite direction of home, heading toward town. Why do they go so far out of their way before getting a bus going back in the same direction from which they just came, when plenty of buses headed to the Leeward side stop right there on Nimitz, across the airport?
The express buses don't go beneath the Airport Viaduct, so a lot of people who work beneath or near the viaduct catch the bus to Dillingham, get off in front of Gaspro, cross the street, and wait for a bus (some of which are "expresses" and some of which simply bypass Nimitz by taking the viaduct) there. If you got anything close to that, it was good enough for me! So seats on the aisle for helen, Moto, Palama Kid, Surfingfarmboy, pzarquon, and mel.

Category: Cereal Killer
What popular breakfast item comes in "pinhead" and "steel cut" varieties?
Oatmeal. Or oats, really, used in making oatmeal. If you get a chance to see Alton Brown's show on oats, you should take the half hour. Super-interesting. Raisins and brown sugar for Cranberee, Moto, Leo Lakio (who cited the same episode of Good Eats I was watching), Palama Kid, Surfingfarmboy, pzarquon, and mel for nailing that one.

38.5: Surfingfarmboy
32.5: Palama Kid
23.5: Moto
19: helen, mel
17.5: pzarquon
13: Leo Lakio
4: Cranberee
1: Madazza, Mike Lowery, craigwatanabe

scrivener
September 2nd, 2006, 03:20 AM
Wow...this is the second night in a week I've fallen asleep while writing the questions.

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 17!

Category: Wherever They Laid Their Hat Was Their Home
What band, founded in Honolulu but finding popularity on the mainland, was said by a Rolling Stone reviewer to be "unrelieved niceness that wears a bit thin?"

Category: Fling Tsai
What food do some people test for doneness by flinging it against a wall?

Category: Bad Language at the Supermarket
What is it about those "Express Lane" signs at the supermarkets that drives English teachers crazy and should drive you crazy, too?

Please send your answers to me as PRIVATE MESSAGES by 9:00 p.m. on Saturday, September 2! Good luck, and have fun!

SouthKona
September 2nd, 2006, 05:27 PM
Be careful about how you read these numbers. A lot of school districts and states count the number of graduates or dropouts in funny ways, and maybe "insufficient data" is there because Hawaii wouldn't play whatever game ws being played by whoever was collecting data. In a lot of places, dropouts aren't counted as official dropouts if they tell their school that they intend to pursue a GED. This is important to the schools, whose NCLB money is partially dependent on these numbers. States with very high graduation rates might simply be better at persuading their dropouts to fill out "I intend to get my GED" paperwork.

Yes, but fortunately the 5000+ word article that I previously referenced gives a full explanation of their methods and data sources. I'm not an educator or statistician, but as a parent and taxpayer, I think the absence of Hawaii data raises questions about our DOE (concerns about Hawaii's DOE - what's the surprise in that!).

Anyway, back to trivia, which I should probably just keep a fun game thread. :)

Erika Engle
September 2nd, 2006, 08:51 PM
This brings up a conversation I had with a friend whose mother was an educator.

Years ago there was a big to-do about scores at an East Oahu school over a standardized test.

It was one of those simile/metaphor questions -- something is to something as seed(s) is/are to (something). (unsure of ACTUAL verbiage)

The majority of the local kids' frame(s) of reference at that point in time was cracked seed, so they got the answer WAY wrong, according to the mainland-test-writers and mainland-generated answers. However, from a local frame of reference, the bulk of the answers made total sense.

The test-makers/administrators/scorers were summoned back to Hawaii and there were high-level meetings to discuss the culturally generated discrepancies. The local kids got their test scores increased. Interesting, yeah?

scrivener
September 2nd, 2006, 10:17 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 17!

Category: Wherever They Laid Their Hat Was Their Home
What band, founded in Honolulu but finding popularity on the mainland, was said by a Rolling Stone reviewer to be "unrelieved niceness that wears a bit thin?"
That would be the fun Poi Dog Pondering (http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/album/122058/poi_dog_pondering/url). Woof Woofs to Palama Kid, Surfingfarmboy, Erika Engle, Leo Lakio, Mel, and Mike_Lowery for pondering correctly.

Category: Fling Tsai
What food do some people test for doneness by flinging it against a wall?
Pasta; specifically, long noodles (try that with penne and you'll NEVER eat!). Pomodoro and bolognese for Palama Kid, Surfingfarmboy, Moto, Erika Engle, helen, Leo Lakio, and Cranberee for screwing their pasta to the sticking place. Mel submits that if the answer is not "fruitcake," it should be. Erika reminds us of a great scene in Neil Simon's The Odd Couple in which Oscar (played by Walter Matthau) calls a plate of pasta spaghetti. Felix (played by Jack Lemmon), eating the pasta, says, "That shows what you know. It's not spaghetti; it's linguini." Oscar then tosses the whole dish against a wall and says, "Now it's garbage!"

Category: Bad Language at the Supermarket
What is it about those "Express Lane" signs at the supermarkets that drives English teachers crazy and should drive you crazy, too?
Okay. For those of you who don't know this. You use "less" for things that are measured in amounts. You can have less sugar, less peace, less water, and less intelligence. You use "fewer" for things that are measured in numbers, so you can have fewer cars, fewer questions, fewer cups of water, fewer qualms, fewer IQ points, fewer minutes, and yes, fewer items in the grocery store checkout line. The signs should read "Twelve Items or Fewer." This is complicated by the fact that the opposites of "fewer" and "less" are "more" and "more." It is also complicated in Hawaii by our tendency to say "How much" when we really mean "How many," as in "How much cups are in the dishwaser?" I don't protest this usage in oral communication (and use it myself, in fact), but while these issues do complicate matters, you're smart enough to be able to work it out, and so were Palama Kid, Surfingfarmboy, Moto, Leo Lakio, and Mike_Lowery for not being one of the many people less and less concerned about the difference between "fewer" and "less."

41.5: Surfingfarmboy
35.5: Palama Kid
25.5: Moto
20: helen, mel
16: Leo Lakio
7: localgrl, Erika Engle
5: Cranberee
3: Mike_Lowery
1: Madazza, craigwatanabe

New questions: next post! I'm going to love these next questions!

scrivener
September 2nd, 2006, 10:56 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 18!

We are going to depart from trivia for one night, and as we've done on occasion in the past, delve instead into a word game. I stole this idea (but not the actual puzzles) from one of Will Shortz's puzzles on Weekend Edition Sunday about six or seven years ago.

I'll provide a phrase. You will translate that phrase into an equivalent rhyming phrase of the requested length.

For example, "Mr. Rogers's baked loaves" (two words) would be "Fred's breads." "Correct scary evening" (three words) would be "Right fright night." In most cases, order won't matter, but try to put the words in the order that most makes linguistic and semantic sense. "Breads Fred's" doesn't make much sense, for instance.

Each correct phrase is worth half a point, for a maximum total of three points in this set.

Category: Two-Word Phrases
A popular luau cocktail with added juice from a fuzzy fruit is a:
A monarch's legumes are a:

Category: Three-Word Phrases
A blacker felt-tip pen that has fewer ornaments or decorations is a:
A person, such as Saddam Hussein, who is crazy, who is from Tikrit, and who exhibits poor taste, is a:

Category: Four-Word Phrases
Kindly solidify into ice the Confederate General's infused herbal beverages:
Accidentally drop Bryant's modest scrambled word game:

Please send your answers to me as PRIVATE MESSAGES by 9:00 p.m. on Sunday, September 3! Good luck, and have fun!

scrivener
September 3rd, 2006, 09:34 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 18!

I don't know if you all thought this was fun, but I totally did. I was traveling with a friend a few years ago, and we were up late one night thinking these up...we came up with ten- or eleven-word phrases sometimes. It was fun composing them in our heads, reciting the clues to each other, and then trying to answer them. *sigh* She gets married in 27 days. To someone else. Probably someone who NEVER plays these games with her.

Category: Two-Word Phrases
A popular luau cocktail with added juice from a fuzzy fruit is a: peachy chi-chi.
Palama Kid and Leo Lakio got that one!

A monarch's legumes are a queen's beans.
SouthKona, Palama Kid, Surfingfarmboy, Leo Lakio, and Erika Engle got that one!

Category: Three-Word Phrases
A blacker felt-tip pen that has fewer ornaments or decorations is a: darker starker marker.
Palama Kid, Surfingfarmboy, Leo Lakio, and Erika Engle got that one!

A person, such as Saddam Hussein, who is crazy, who is from Tikrit, and who exhibits poor taste, is a: wacky tacky Iraqi.
Palama Kid and Leo Lakio got that one!

Category: Four-Word Phrases
Kindly solidify into ice the Confederate General's infused herbal beverages:
Please freeze Lee's teas!
SouthKona, Palama Kid, Surfingfarmboy, Leo Lakio, and Erika Engle got that one!

Accidentally drop Bryant's modest scrambled word game:
Fumble Gumbel's humble Jumble!
Palama Kid, Surfingfarmboy, and Erika Engle got that one!

And now, totally in the spirit of fun (so please don't be offended or insulted or hurt if yours is one of the ones I reprint), here are some of my favorite wrong answers!

Good Cool Lee Tea
Tripped Gumbel jumbled Boggle
Beach Peach

Sooooooo Close:
darker marker sparser
Tumble Gumbel humble Jumble

I never thought of a kiwi fruit as being fuzzy, but of course it is:
kiwi chichi
maitai kiwi

and my two favorite:
Goony loony Sunni (I actually had to consider accepting that one from Surfingfarmboy!)
Non-urbane insane Iranian (my tummy's sore from giggling at that one from Erika Engle!)

Holy cow, I had a blast with these. Thanks for being game, all of you brave enough to attempt the answers! You can probably expect another Will-Shortz-inspired set of puzzles sometime before the end of this game.

Aaaaaaaaaand here are the current standings!
43.5: Surfingfarmboy
38.5: Palama Kid
25.5: Moto
20: helen, mel
19: Leo Lakio
9: Erika Engle
5: Cranberee
3: Mike_Lowery, SouthKona
2: tutusue

New questions, next post! And as always, feel free to contest the judge's rulings.

pzarquon
September 4th, 2006, 07:38 AM
New questions, next post!Fall asleep writing the questions again, Scriv? :)

That was a fun set. I never did sit down to try them, but I love Will Shortz and Sunday Puzzle. Some of 'em I just run away with, some of 'em I barely figure out before they're already done with the set!

scrivener
September 4th, 2006, 07:52 AM
I didn't fall asleep this time -- I just had problems with my net connection. Sorry. I considered driving around in search of a decent signal, but decided we could all just take Labor Day off.

Not that I'm taking the day off. I've got a ton of work to get done.

So, new questions around 9:00 this evening. Happy Labor Day.

Surfingfarmboy
September 4th, 2006, 08:07 AM
I remember way back a newspaper game, printed with the daily crosswords, comics, and other diversions, in the Chicago Tribune, called "Wordy Gurdy". It played in a similar way Scriv presented the questions in the last round of the trivia contest; the only difference, if I recall correctly, was that solvers of the questions were given the worded clues and the number of total syllables per word in the final answer.

scrivener
September 4th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 19!

I know, I know. I ask far too many television, rock and roll, and comic-strip questions! They're just easiest for me to think up, and I've had a crumby day. So when you send in your answers, please also include something nice that's happened to you recently. I think that would do a lot for my foul mood.

Category: Buy Me Some Peanuts
Who plays shortstop on Charlie Brown's baseball team?

Category: Pasture of Muppets
On The Muppet Show, which character is almost always Kermit's partner in the popular "At the Dance" sketches? (hint: not Miss Piggy!)

Category: Three Scoops of Aloha
What is usually the phrase one uses when ordering a plate lunch with an extra scoop of rice in substitution of macaroni salad?

Please send your answers and your "nice thing that happened to you" to me as PRIVATE MESSAGES by 9:00 p.m. on Tuesday, September 5! Good luck, and have fun!

scrivener
September 6th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 19!
Here are yesterday's answers!

With all the excitement last night, I totally forgot about the game! Thank goodness I'm not a contestant, or I'd probably be out of the running by now!

Category: Buy Me Some Peanuts
Who plays shortstop on Charlie Brown's baseball team?
Snoopy, because he was the most talented player, even though, as Linus once observed, he couldn't throw the ball! Everyone who submitted answers got this right: Cranberee, Helen, Moto, Palama Kid, Surfingfarmboy, and Mel. Palama Kid submits this roster, for those of you (like me) who love to know these things:

Allowing for occasional changes, the "official" roster of the team is as follows:
• Pitcher (and Manager): Charlie Brown
• Catcher: Schroeder
• 1st Base: Shermy
• 2nd Base: Linus (or Pig-Pen, at least once)
• 3rd Base: Pig-Pen
• Shortstop: Snoopy
• Left Field: Patty (or Rerun, during his one attempt)
• Center Field: Frieda
• Right Field: Lucy

Category: Pasture of Muppets
On The Muppet Show, which character is almost always Kermit's partner in the popular "At the Dance" sketches? (hint: not Miss Piggy!)
Kermit didn't always dance with Miss Mousey, but she was definitely his preferred partner (he appears with her ALMOST every time he's in this sketch), and in one episode of the show, he confesses to Miss Piggy that he has a little crush on her! I have this dream where I'm on Jeopardy! and it's really close, and the Final Jeopardy! category is THE MUPPETS, and I bet it all and the answer is the question I posed here. Of course, in my dream, I write "Who is Miss Mousey" and take home the money!

One point each for the most sensational, inspirational, celebrational, Muppetational Mel and Surfingfarmboy for dodging the tomatoes on that one!

Category: Three Scoops of Aloha
What is usually the phrase one uses when ordering a plate lunch with an extra scoop of rice in substitution of macaroni salad?
"All rice (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22all+rice%22+%22plate+lunch%22&btnG=Search)," as in, "Chicken katsu, all rice!" Don't you think "All Rice" would be a cool thing to put on a tee-shirt to sell at the Flea Market?

Cranberee, Palama Kid, and Surfingfarmboy all got that one. Palama Kid called a sister to get the answer!

46.5: Surfingfarmboy
40.5: Palama Kid
26.5: Moto
22: mel
21: helen
19: Leo Lakio
7: localgrl, Cranberee

New questions at 9:00!

ps: "Pasture of Muppets" is my FAVORITE FAVORITE FAVORITE FAVORITE category title so far! I just wish I'd come up with a question that better matched it!

scrivener
September 6th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 20!

Category: Independent Claws
What are the only two species of wildcat that climb down trees head-first?

Category: Sulky Smooth
What is the Kentucky Derby's harness-racing equivalent?
(there are a couple of acceptable answers, but there's one really good one!)

Category: This Land is My Land
What was the hawaiian name for an unofficial division of land that stretched from the mountains to the sea, usually using ridgelines or other natural features as boundaries?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 p.m. on Thursday, September 7! Good luck, and have fun!

scrivener
September 7th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 20!

Category: Independent Claws
What are the only two species of wildcat that climb down trees head-first?
Something you probably didn't know about me is that I'm fascinated by little-known animals, and the margay (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margay) and clouded leopard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clouded_leopard) definitely fall into that category! It probably surprises nobody that Palama Kid, Surfingfarmboy, and Moto all got this one right! Let's pelt them.

Category: Sulky Smooth
What is the Kentucky Derby's harness-racing equivalent?
(there are a couple of acceptable answers, but there's one really good one!)
The answer I really wanted was the Hambletonian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hambletonian), which is the crown jewel in the Triple Crown of Harness Racing for trotters, but the Little Brown Jug (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Brown_Jug) is usually considered the equivalent in the Triple Crown of Harness Racing for pacers. Palama Kid, Surfingfarmboy, and Mel gave me one or the other of those answers!

Category: This Land is My Land
What was the hawaiian name for an unofficial division of land that stretched from the mountains to the sea, usually using ridgelines or other natural features as boundaries?
That would be an ahupua`a (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahupua%27a). Until the Great Mahele, this was how parcels of land were generally designated, if I understand correctly. Surfingfarmboy, Leo Lakio, and Mel all got that one right!

49.5: Surfingfarmboy
42.5: Palama Kid
27.5: Moto
24: mel
20: Leo Lakio

scrivener
September 7th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 21!

Category: Play that Funky Music
At the sides of Big Island roads, there are often signs that say, "Buying cherry." What are they asking for?

Category: Scrivener 1, Everyone Else 0
What are the next three numbers in the sequence that begins:
1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 1, 1, 3, 3, 1, 1, 4, 6...

Category: Stone and Register
I have taken lyrics from a popular classic rock song and replaced them with synonyms from a thesaurus. In some cases, the synonyms match the intended meaning in the song ("rock" could be replaced with "stone," which means the same thing), but in some cases, I chose a completely unrelated synonym ("roll" could be replaced with "register," which is a different kind of roll than used in "rock and roll"). Identify the song:

Minuscule coffee no way before bequeathed it abroad
The whole world had to fork over and render
A con game in this place and an enterprise yonder
New Amsterdam's the habitat where
People pronounced, "Yo, infant!
Catch a constitutional atop the untamed flank..."

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 p.m. on Friday, September 8! Good luck, and have fun!

Surfingfarmboy
September 7th, 2006, 11:38 PM
In my part of the world, Paul and Al, two well-known and perhaps infamous radio personalities, who air weekday mornings on WHJY-FM in Providence, have an occasional, yet wildly popular call-in contests, in which they test their listeners' knowledge of common Rock and Roll songs presented with alternative lyrics, in the same fashion Scriv has done with the song with altered (but equivalent) lyrics..the one that's going to drive me crazy all day long trying to decipher it!

scrivener
September 8th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 21!

Category: Play that Funky Music
At the sides of Big Island roads, there are often signs that say, "Buying cherry." What are they asking for?
Coffee roasters in the area are buying fresh coffee beans, which are called cherries because of their skins' red color. Surfingfarmboy says he picked many a cherry in his time growing up on the Big Island. How many questions is this about coffee so far? :) An extra shot for Surfingfarmboy, Palama Kid, Moto, Leo Lakio, and Mel for getting that one.

Category: Scrivener 1, Everyone Else 0
What are the next three numbers in the sequence that begins:
1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 1, 1, 3, 3, 1, 1, 4, 6...
I really should have used "series" instead of "sequence," but nobody called me on it, so I'll pretend I did. These are number from Pascal's Triangle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_Triangle)! Here's what the first part of it looks like:

http://www.mitchellkdwyer.net/images/pascalstriangle.jpg

Each number is the sum of the two numbers above it in the triangle. Those of you who are into computers should note the sums of each row, given in the right margin of this image. Why in the world does the triangle, with a very simple rule that itself has nothing to do with powers of 2, give row-sums that are powers of 2? It's baffling!

As you can see from this diagram, the next four numbers are 4, 1, and 1. Go to the head of the class, Surfingfarmboy, Leo Lakio, and Mel for nailing that one!

Category: Stone and Register
I have taken lyrics from a popular classic rock song and replaced them with synonyms from a thesaurus. In some cases, the synonyms match the intended meaning in the song ("rock" could be replaced with "stone," which means the same thing), but in some cases, I chose a completely unrelated synonym ("roll" could be replaced with "register," which is a different kind of roll than used in "rock and roll"). Identify the song:

Minuscule coffee no way before bequeathed it abroad
The whole world had to fork over and render
A con game in this place and an enterprise yonder
New Amsterdam's the habitat where
People pronounced, "Yo, infant!
Catch a constitutional atop the untamed flank..."

Little Joe never once gave it away
Everybody had to pay and pay
A hustle here and a hustle there
New York City's the place where
They said hey babe, take a walk on the wild side
They said hey Joe, take a walk on the wild side

Yes, it's "Walk on the Wild Side" by Lou Reed, one of the all-time greats. Also among the all-time greats: Surfingfarmboy, Palama Kid, and Leo Lakio!

52.5: Surfingfarmboy
44.5: Palama Kid
28.5: Moto
26: mel
23: Leo Lakio

scrivener
September 8th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 22!

Category: Mnemonic Possession
I don't know if this is common at all, but when I was in school, some friends and I in a social studies class developed the mnemonic SHO ME to help us remember the order of something very familiar to us all! Can you figure out what SHO ME helped us nail on the test?

Category: Water You Doing?
What animal is supposedly so difficult to train that its only trick at Sea Life Park is to walk through a gate, take its turn hopping through a hoop, and then continue through another gate that leads back to its holding area?

Category: Horny
What company's logo is this?

http://www.mitchellkdwyer.net/images/trivia3j.png

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 p.m. on Saturday, September 9! Good luck, and have fun!

SouthKona
September 8th, 2006, 11:23 PM
sorry, forgot the private message part of the game!

WindwardOahuRN
September 9th, 2006, 10:10 AM
I have no idea what the Rhino logo means but it seems that one of the "alleged" assailants accused of killing the man in Waianae likes it:

http://honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/misc?url=/misc/zoom.pbs&s=M1&Dato=20060909&Kategori=NEWS01&Lopenr=609100335&Ref=AR

scrivener
September 9th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Hello. I know this is just a game, but could we please not contribute interesting facts about the questions until after answers are posted? One thing lots of participants like to do is send the interesting facts in private messages, and then I post them when the answers go up. Thanks for your interest, though.

WindwardOahuRN
September 9th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Hello. I know this is just a game, but could we please not contribute interesting facts about the questions until after answers are posted? One thing lots of participants like to do is send the interesting facts in private messages, and then I post them when the answers go up. Thanks for your interest, though.

Oh. I thought we just couldn't post the actual answers to the questions. I was unaware that interesting facts were also forbidden. I took a look at the rules and didn't see anything about that.

Deeply chagrined, I am going to my room now. I feel the need to weep in private. ;)

scrivener
September 9th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Hi. Please don't misunderstand me. There's no "rule" about it. However, posting a link to an image of the logo is giving more information than I intended when I wrote the question; when I write a question, I take into consideration the Googlability of the question and try (most times) to word it so that it's not too easy to find in a search engine. For example, when I posted the picture of Paulina Porizkova last October and simply asked, "who is this?" I was sorta counting on participants not posting such comments as, "I don't know her name, but she looked hot in Sports Illustrated's swimsuit issue!" Yes, she did, and yes, it was an interesting fact, but yes, it also would have given participants more information than the question was designed to offer.

I usually (not always) try to make sure there's one easy, one medium, and one difficult question in each set of three. I considered this one the medium question, and wrote it in such a way as to be appropriate for the player of medium ability to track down.

So, please don't be chagrined or upset or even chastened. I'm merely asking this little favor for future reference.

WindwardOahuRN
September 9th, 2006, 11:51 AM
So, please don't be chagrined or upset or even chastened. I'm merely asking this little favor for future reference.

Okay. I see your point.

I got in touch with the "alleged" assailant who was wearing the Rhino shirt. He told me what the logo meant. BTW, he's a really grumpy guy but I promised him cigarettes and he caved.

I guess you're right---posting such a pic COULD have led to a contestant having an unfair advantage over others, especially if they went to the trouble of contacting the wearer of the logo...J/K.... :D

Now go have fun.

scrivener
September 9th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 22!

Category: Mnemonic Possession
I don't know if this is common at all, but when I was in school, some friends and I in a social studies class developed the mnemonic SHO ME to help us remember the order of something very familiar to us all! Can you figure out what SHO ME helped us nail on the test?
Some participants mentioned that they used HOMES, but I contend that HOMES is a far, far inferior mnemonic, because it doesn't provide the correct order:

http://www.mitchellkdwyer.net/images/greatlakes.gif

Going from West to East, it's Superior, Huron, Ontario in the north and Michigan and Erie just to the south. SouthKona, Moto, Helen, and Surfingfarmboy got that one!

Category: Water You Doing?
What animal is supposedly so difficult to train that its only trick at Sea Life Park is to walk through a gate, take its turn hopping through a hoop, and then continue through another gate that leads back to its holding area?

The cute penguin! They are my favorite animals in the shows at Sea Life Park, which is too expensive to go to very often, but definitely worth it every few years or so. I love that place. Moto, Helen, Surfingfarmboy, Cranberee, and Mel got that one! Thanks go to SouthKona for the funniest answer of the week: Canadian Tourists.

Category: Horny
What company's logo is this?

http://www.mitchellkdwyer.net/images/trivia3j.png

*ecko unltd (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecko). Yes, it is a popular brand with youth culture, particularly the graffiti and hip-hop set. I personally never understood the appeal, but then I only teach fifteen-year-olds; I don't pretend to understand them! SouthKona, Helen, Surfingfarmboy, and Cranberee got that one!

Palama Kid missed the day's game because he was running around in wine country, that lucky jerk. Bring me back something, PK! I'm picturing PK grabbing the spittoon with both arms and pouring it over his head, ala Sideways, which you really should see if you haven't already.

55.5: Surfingfarmboy
30.5: Moto
27: mel
23: Leo Lakio, helen
9: Erika Engle, Cranberee
5: SouthKona

scrivener
September 9th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 23!

Category: Do Not Open this Question!
What non-existent virus sharing the name of a popular 1970s television series was warned about in emails that spread, virus-like, across the Internet community in the mid-nineties?

Category: With Six You Get Angioplasty
What wildly unpopular hamburger, introduced in the mid-nineties, was supposed to appeal to a more mature, more sophisticated demographic that McDonald's wanted a piece of?

Category: Women in Industry
What does WI indicate when appearing next to a course number in the course schedule of the University of Hawaii at Manoa?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 p.m. on Sunday, September 20! Good luck, and have fun!

mel
September 9th, 2006, 10:37 PM
*ecko unltd (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecko).

After seeing that name I thought about Mr. Ecko on LOST.

The link was informative. I would have never guessed or even looked at fashion, though the mislaid picture of the criminal cued me in on hip-hop....

SouthKona
September 10th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Dang it! It's that PM again...

scrivener
September 10th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 23!

Category: Do Not Open this Question!
What non-existent virus sharing the name of a popular 1970s television series was warned about in emails that spread, virus-like, across the Internet community in the mid-nineties?
That would be 1994's GoodTimes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodtimes_virus) "virus." Surfingfarmboy, pzarquon, helen, moto, and mel were not taken in by this hoax!

Category: With Six You Get Angioplasty
What wildly unpopular hamburger, introduced in the mid-nineties, was supposed to appeal to a more mature, more sophisticated demographic that McDonald's wanted a piece of?
It was the Arch Deluxe, which some respondents loved and some hated! I liked it! Surfingfarmboy (loved it), pzarquon (liked it), moto (hated it), mel (hated it), helen (liked it), and SouthKona (liked it) deserve a break today for getting that one!

Oh, and if you haven't seen this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTSdUOC8Kac) McDLT commercial with Jason Alexander. Thanks for the cool link, pz! Great joke for Seinfeld fans: read the comment by LastStarfighter.

Category: Women in Industry
What does WI indicate when appearing next to a course number in the course schedule of the University of Hawaii at Manoa?
That would be writing intensive. Too many doctors and engineers were unable to communicate what they were doing, so UHM started a new rule about a certain number of WI courses (some of which had to be upper division) in order to graduate. I actually preferred the WI courses. How many school questions is this now? :)

Manoasurfer123, Surfingfarmboy, pzarquon, helen, moto, and mel got that one right!

58.5: Surfingfarmboy
33.5: Moto
30: mel
26: helen
23: Leo Lakio
20.5: pzarquon
6: SouthKona
1: Madazza, craigwatanabe, manoasurfer123

scrivener
September 10th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 24!

Category: To Get Her Poor Dog a Bone
There are many other names that belong on the list including Baker, Baldrige, Donovan, Heckler, and Pierce. What are three of them?

Category: Semi-Colonoscopy

The IRS mailed my family their tax refund.
What is wrong with this sentence, and how should it correctly be written?

Category: I Auto Teach You a Lesson
What do the numbers 1-3-4-2 mean when read under the hood of an automobile?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 p.m. on Monday, September 11! Good luck, and have fun!

Surfingfarmboy
September 10th, 2006, 11:32 PM
It was the Arch Deluxe, which some respondents loved and some hated! I liked it! Surfingfarmboy (loved it)

In the name of truth, it shall be known to all concerned, that I never consumed an Arch Deluxe...the mere thought of eating that genre of food is abjectly repulsive to me! :p

Tofu, inari, and natto forever!

Surfingfarmboy

mel
September 11th, 2006, 06:25 PM
I like most hamburgers. The Arch Deluxe was not one of them. I miss the McDLT.

SouthKona
September 11th, 2006, 06:40 PM
It was the Arch Deluxe, which some respondents loved and some hated! I liked it! Surfingfarmboy (loved it), pzarquon (liked it), moto (hated it), mel (hated it), helen (liked it), and SouthKona (liked it) deserve a break today for getting that one!
NOT I do not eat there, at all, never .... ok, I had a soda there once in the last 5 years.

scrivener
September 11th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 24!

Category: To Get Her Poor Dog a Bone
There are many other names that belong on the list including Baker, Baldrige, Donovan, Heckler, and Pierce. What are three of them?
These are names of members of President Ronald Reagan's cabinet. Would you believe that I was once playing Outburst (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outburst_%28game%29) with a bunch of teachers, and this came up as one of the categories. I nearly swept the cateogry, missing some very obvious names (Baker, Weinberger) because I was so bent on getting the lesser-knowns (Baldrige, Donovan, Pierce). My colleagues' jaws hit the floor! It was great for my rep.

Helen, Palama Kid (back from wine country!), Surfingfarmboy, moto, pzarquon, mel, and Leo Lakio all got that one! Mel declares you all "Honorable Republicans for a Day!" I want to know if that first part is an oxymoron! Kidding!

From Surfingfarmboy:
Trivia for you: An ice cream milk shake is known as a "cabinet" in Rhode Island. Example: "Go to Delectka's in Warren and get me a chocolate cabinet"

Category: Semi-Colonoscopy

The IRS mailed my family their tax refund.
What is wrong with this sentence, and how should it correctly be written?
"Family" is a singular, collective noun, and therefore requires a singular pronoun. Therefore, it should correctly be written: The IRS mailed my family its tax refund. There are times in common usage when, in American English, "family" can be used as a plural, as when individual members of the group are considered singly (as in this example (http://www.bartleby.com/64/C001/020.html) cited by Palama Kid. However, this English teacher says this is sloppy usage even in this way. For the example above, since "refund" is singular and NOT plural, it should be assumed that the family received one refund; thus its members are not being considered singly. However, the point that I wanted everyone to get was that "family" is singular and "their" is plural, so if you mentioned that, you get the point. I'm giving half a point if you re-wrote the sentence correctly but didn't say what the problem was. Helen (half), Palama Kid, moto (half), Surfingfarmboy (half), pzarquon, mel (half), and Leo Lakio got at least part of it right! Thanks for the link, Palama Kid!

Category: I Auto Teach You a Lesson
What do the numbers 1-3-4-2 mean when read under the hood of an automobile?
This is the firing order of the pistons in a four-cylinder engine. Take a good look, those of you who said you've never seen it: It's almost always written there somewhere. Helen, Palama Kid, Surfingfarmboy, moto, pzarquon, and Leo Lakio got that one right!

Here are the current standings, with one week left to play!
61: Surfingfarmboy
47.5: Palama Kid
36: Moto
31.5: mel
28.5: helen
26: Leo Lakio
23.5: pzarquon
1: Madazza, craigwatanabe, manoasurfer123

scrivener
September 11th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 25!

Category: Magic Carpal Ride
We're all familiar with carpal tunnel syndrome, often a repetitive stress injury caused by excessive, improper, unhealthy typing habits. My friend has this condition in her foot. What is this foot condition properly called?

Category: Found You at Last
Which successful local musical duo met at Maryknoll Schools when its members were still in sixth and seventh grades?

Category: Cobra Kai Never Dies!!!
What uniform-wearing professional wrestler often put his opponents away with the Cobra Clutch?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 p.m. on Tuesday, September 12! Good luck, and have fun!

scrivener
September 12th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 25!

Category: Magic Carpal Ride
We're all familiar with carpal tunnel syndrome, often a repetitive stress injury caused by excessive, improper, unhealthy typing habits. My friend has this condition in her foot. What is this foot condition properly called?
I'm looking for tarsal tunnel syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarsal_tunnel_syndrome). It's basically the same condition, but in the foot. Toes up to manoasurfer123, localgrl, moto, PalamaKid, Leo Lakio, and Mel for putting their best foot forward on that one.

Category: Found You at Last
Which successful local musical duo met at Maryknoll Schools when its members were still in sixth and seventh grades?If you haven't heard Keahiwai (http://www.keahiwai.com/)'s "Falling," you don't live in Hawaii. I'm not a huge fan of most local pop music, but this is a sweet, sweet song, totally sold by sincere performance of Mailani Makainai and Lei Melket. Available on iTunes and a great song. I believe that so many of the local covers are earnest but in some way insincere; they lack a certain soul. Not Keahiwai.

Guitar picks and Finger Ease for manoasurfer123, Surfingfarmboy, Moto, Palama Kid, and Leo Lakio for strumming their stuff on that one.

Category: Cobra Kai Never Dies!!!
What uniform-wearing professional wrestler often put his opponents away with the Cobra Clutch?
Oh, too, too, too easy! manoasurfer123, Surfingfarmboy, localgrl, Helen, Moto, Palama Kid, Leo Lakio, and Mel put the sleeper on that one!

63: Surfingfarmboy
50.5: Palama Kid
39: Moto
33.5: mel
29.5: helen
29: Leo Lakio
9: Erika Engle, Cranberee, localgrl
4: manoasurfer123

scrivener
September 12th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 26!

Category: No Way Are You Getting This
Where are you most likely to see this symbol? For a half-point bonus: What is it?

http://www.mitchellkdwyer.net/images/trivia3qq.gif

Category: Lost in Honolulu
What Honolulu neighborhood do you live in if your street address says Dickson Circle?

Category: Tuvalu Ra Tuvalu Ra Yay!
What is island nation Tuvalu's unique contribution to the Internet?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 p.m. on Wednesday, September 13! Good luck, and have fun!

scrivener
September 13th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 26!

Category: No Way Are You Getting This
Where are you most likely to see this symbol? For a half-point bonus: What is it?

http://www.mitchellkdwyer.net/images/trivia3qq.gif
I knew this was going to be tough, but I also know that there are discussion boards on the Web where if I posted this as a trivia question, I'd be laughed out of town. Almost everyone I hung out with in high school would have gotten this, too, which takes us back to the question of what trivia really is.

This symbol is the signature of artist Derek Riggs (http://www.derekriggs.com/), who did the artwork for most of the classic Iron Maiden albums. The logo is hidden somewhere on almost every Maiden album from the first part of their career. The logo you see at Riggs's website is the symbol he uses now, a simplified version of what was a mirrored D, an R, and a few extra lines and circles thrown in for looks.

Congratulations to nobody for getting it right!

Category: Lost in Honolulu
What Honolulu neighborhood do you live in if your street address says Dickson Circle?
Did you know I was a military brat? I was, and I once lived in the military housing area known as Catlin Park. I believe "Camp Catlin" is what that area was called before it became a housing area, but I'll take that as an answer, too, since I know some people still call it that. Moto, Surfingfarmboy, and Mel got that right.

Category: Tuvalu Ra Tuvalu Ra Yay!
What is island nation Tuvalu's unique contribution to the Internet?
Tuvalu's country code top-level domain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_code_top-level_domain) is .tv, which for obvious reasons could be considered by some, including Roger Ebert and Richard Roeper, to be a desirable domain. Masters of their own domains include Moto, helen, Surfingfarmboy, mel, and Palama Kid, who got that right.

65: Surfingfarmboy
51.5: Palama Kid
41: Moto
34.5: mel
30.5: helen
29: Leo Lakio

scrivener
September 13th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 27!

Category: Ladies First
What are the next three names in a list that includes Florence, Grace, Lou, Anna, and Elizabeth, in that order?

Category: Poll Vault
In the state of Hawaii, what can a registered voter do if he or she cannot present a picture I.D.?

Category: It's Not a Mike Salta Pontiac
What animal would old Mother Goose ride upon, according to the popular nursery rhyme?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 p.m. on Thursday, September 14! Good luck, and have fun!

scrivener
September 14th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 27!

Category: Ladies First
What are the next three names in a list that includes Florence, Grace, Lou, Anna, and Elizabeth, in that order?
Sheesh. I thought this would be more challenging than apparently it was. Yes, it's a list of first names of United States First Ladies:
Florence Kling Harding
Grace Anna Goodhue Coolidge
Lou Henry Hoover
Anna Eleanor Roosevelt
Elizabeth Virginia Wallace Truman
Mamie Geneva Doud Eisenhower
Jacqueline Lee Bouvier Kennedy
Claudia Taylor Johnson

I was hoping "Elizabeth" and "Lou" would throw people off, since nobody thinks of Bess Truman as Elizabeth, but oh well. Surfingfarmboy, moto, helen, mel, Leo Lakio, and Palama Kid got that one.

Category: Poll Vault
In the state of Hawaii, what can a registered voter do if he or she cannot present a picture I.D.?
If you can recite your birthdate and the address to which the voter registration card was mailed, you're good to go. I've worked the polls several times, and so I know this one for sure. Surfingfarmboy, Moto, and Leo Lakio got that one!

Category: It's Not a Mike Salta Pontiac
What animal would old Mother Goose ride upon, according to the popular nursery rhyme?
Old Mother Goose,
When she wanted to wander,
Would ride through the air
On a very fine gander.

Surfingfarmboy, Palama Kid, Mel, and Leo Lakio got that one!

And here are the current standings!
68: Surfingfarmboy
53.5: Palama Kid
45: Moto
34.5: mel
32: Leo Lakio
31.5: helen

New Questions, Next Post!

scrivener
September 14th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 28!

Category: I Just Had One and it Was Heavenly!
You put down a slice of bread. Then you lay some roast turkey on the bread, then some sliced ham on the turkey, then some Swiss cheese on top of that. You cover it with another slice of bread and dip the entire thing in an egg batter and grill or deep-fry it. You serve it with maple syrup or grape jelly. What delicious dish have you just assembled?

Category: Jingle-Jangle Mornin'
What local business boasted in its many commercials that it "served you right here in town?"

Category: All the Marbles
What popular board game is played with marbles on a six-pointed star?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 p.m. on Friday, September 15! Good luck, and have fun!

scrivener
September 15th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 28!

Category: I Just Had One and it Was Heavenly!
You put down a slice of bread. Then you lay some roast turkey on the bread, then some sliced ham on the turkey, then some Swiss cheese on top of that. You cover it with another slice of bread and dip the entire thing in an egg batter and grill or deep-fry it. You serve it with maple syrup or grape jelly. What delicious dish have you just assembled?
How is it that so many of you knew about this little bit of heaven AND NEVER TOLD ME ABOUT IT? I had my first last night at Kenny's in Kalihi and it blew me away. Now I want to eat every Monte Cristo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Cristo_sandwich) in sight. In fact, I'm walking across the parking lot as soon as I've put up tonight's questions and having another. Extra grape jelly to SouthKona, helen, Palama Kid, moto, Surfingfarmboy, and Leo Lakio for their excellent knowledge of sandwichology.

Category: Jingle-Jangle Mornin'
What local business boasted in its many commercials that it "served you right here in town?"
Amazing. I thought this was going to be the easy one, and nobody got it! Several of you remembered that it was a car-dealership, but no, it wasn't Windward Nissan ("right here in town?") or Honolulu Ford (two guesses for that one!) or Cutter Ford. It was Downtown Honda, as in "Downtown Honda, yeah! Serves you right here in town!"

Category: All the Marbles
What popular board game is played with marbles on a six-pointed star?
Chinese Checkers. Not a game I ever thought was very difficult, but it could be kinda fun if you had more than three people playing. Big ups to SouthKona, helen, Palama Kid, moto, Surfingfarmboy, mel, and Leo Lakio for getting that one right.

So with three days left to play, the current standings are:
70: Surfingfarmboy
55.5: Palama Kid
47: Moto
35.5: mel
34: Leo Lakio
33.5: helen
8: SouthKona

scrivener
September 15th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 29!

Category: Owner of a Lonely Art
A world-famous author was on his way to donating his vast collection of Asian prints to the Metropolitan Museum of Art (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_Museum_of_Art) when a grouchy policeman gave him a hard time about parking and then wrote the author a ticket. Some years later, the same author was in another city, where a very helpful policeman helped him find parking near another famous museum. The author decided then to bequeath his collection to this second museum. Who is the author, and where did this amazing collection finally find its home?

Category: Axe Me No Questions; I'll Tell You No Lies
What annual game between long-time college rivals awards a handle-less axe to the winning side?

Category: Camptown Races
On a certain mountain in Haleiwa, teenaged summer residents of one campground are said to test their mettle by sneaking over to another campground on the same mountain. What are the names of these two campgrounds, and who are the summer residents of each?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 p.m. on Saturday, September 16! Good luck, and have fun!

scrivener
September 15th, 2006, 09:50 PM
There are nights when I am not exactly proud of either the quality of the questions as they're written or the interestingness of the questions; this is one of those rare instances where I'm quite pleased with both. There's a certain, well, flair, I guess you could call it, that I strive for here. I'm very satisfied with the interestingness of these questions and I think the way they're written is exactly what I usually shoot for. That doesn't happen often, as I don't always have the thirty minutes or so it generally takes to come up with three good ones and to write them this way.

I'm saying this not to toot my own horn ('though I certainly would if I could, as Letterman says all the time) but to say that I really appreciate your participation in this silly game. The challenge of writing the questions is the main appeal for me, like a kind of mental gymnastics exercise that gets rewarded by your answers in pmail and the nice comments many of you leave me. So thanks.

helen
September 15th, 2006, 10:16 PM
How is it that so many of you knew about this little bit of heaven AND NEVER TOLD ME ABOUT IT? I had my first last night at Kenny's in Kalihi and it blew me away. Now I want to eat every Monte Cristo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Cristo_sandwich) in sight. In fact, I'm walking across the parking lot as soon as I've put up tonight's questions and having another.

I never knew the sandwich existed until you possed the question last night. From the description you gave it sounded like some version of French Toast, maybe the original for all I know. Looked up French Toast in Wikipedia and sure enough there was an entry for it.

Surfingfarmboy
September 16th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Some RI trivia about the Monte Cristo sandwich: Around these parts of the woods, currant jelly is most commonly served with the sandwich.

scrivener
September 16th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 29!

Category: Owner of a Lonely Art
A world-famous author was on his way to donating his vast collection of Asian prints to the Metropolitan Museum of Art (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_Museum_of_Art) when a grouchy policeman gave him a hard time about parking and then wrote the author a ticket. Some years later, the same author was in another city, where a very helpful policeman helped him find parking near another famous museum. The author decided then to bequeath his collection to this second museum. Who is the author, and where did this amazing collection finally find its home?
James Michener (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Michener) and the Honolulu Academy of arts. Read about it here (http://starbulletin.com/2002/01/06/features/story1.html). As Surfingfarmboy so nicely puts it, "This demonstrates that a little aloha spirit, no matter where one is at or where one lives, can go a long way...let NYC take that as a hard-learned lesson!"

Free parking for SouthKona and Surfingfarmboy, who don't even live close enough to visit this excellent collection.

Category: Axe Me No Questions; I'll Tell You No Lies
What annual game between long-time college rivals awards a handle-less axe to the winning side?
Of course it's The Big Game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Game_%28football%29) between Stanford and Cal-Berkeley. The Axe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stanford_Axe) goes to the winning team, and if you don't know anything about the Axe, click the link. I was howling with laughter when I read this. The way it was first stolen and then the way it was stolen back is the stuff of movies. They should make a movie about this history of the Axe. Here's video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUeyOuS70eI&search=the%20play) of The Play (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Play), probably the greatest play in football history, which of course happened at the end of the 1982 Game.

Cheerleader hugs and kisses to SouthKona, Surfingfarmboy, Leo Lakio, Moto, Palama Kid, manoasurfer123, and Mel for getting that one right!

Category: Camptown Races
On a certain mountain in Haleiwa, teenaged summer residents of one campground are said to test their mettle by sneaking over to another campground on the same mountain. What are the names of these two campgrounds, and who are the summer residents of each?
Camp Pupukea (Boy Scouts) and Camp Paumalu (Girl Scouts). Everyone always talks about sneaking over to Paumalu from Pupukea, and everyone says he knows someone who did it, but I have never heard anyone say he actually did it. This is the basis for a novel I wrote for NaNoWriMo two years ago and hope to publish someday. The summer someone actually does it.

Marshmallows and graham crackers to SouthKona, Surfingfarmboy, Palama Kid (half a point), manoasurfer123 (half a point), and Mel (half a point).

Here are the current standings with two days left to play!
73: Surfingfarmboy
57: Palama Kid
48: Moto
36.5: mel
35: Leo Lakio
34: helen
11: SouthKona
5.5: manoasurfer123

New questions: Next Post!

scrivener
September 16th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 30!

Category: What's the Good Word?
What word is represented by this series of numbers?

Category: Names and Faces in Crazy Places
Whose name could complete the list beginning with Fran Tarkenton, John Ritter, Freddie Mercury, [insert name here], and Alec Cooke? A lot of names could do it, so submit a name and explain your choice!

Category: He's Steel the One
What American subject of many a tall tale could be called a sort of Paul Bunyan for steelworkers?
(please note: "steelworkers," not "steel-drivers")

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 p.m. on Sunday, September 17! Good luck, and have fun!

damontucker
September 16th, 2006, 10:22 PM
this was supposed to be a pm!!!

So sorry scrivener :(

scrivener
September 17th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 30!

Category: What's the Good Word?
What word is represented by this series of numbers?
If you're text-messaging someone on a regular 10-key phone keypad, you hit the 4 key once for G. Then you hit the 7 key three times for R. Then it's the 3 key twice for E...keep going, and you find that GREASE is the word! Geez. Only Surfingfarmboy was brave enough to guess a word: "Sunshine." There were two guesses for "the numbers on Lost" (hello! the question asks what WORD is represented!) and a few "I have no ideas." So nobody gets this one. I'm going to ask my high-schoolers tomorrow and see how many get it.

Whose name could complete the list beginning with Fran Tarkenton, John Ritter, Freddie Mercury, [insert name here], and Alec Cooke? A lot of names could do it, so submit a name and explain your choice!
Nobody got this one, either, so I'm going to extend it until tomorrow and add a hint: John Ritter is on this list only because of the name of the character he played on Three's Company.

Category: He's Steel the One
What American subject of many a tall tale could be called a sort of Paul Bunyan for steelworkers?
(please note: "steelworkers," not "steel-drivers")
This would be Joe Magarac (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Magarac), who once defeated a rail-making machine in a contest by squeezing molten steel through the spaces betwee his fingers! manoasurfer123, Surfingfarmboy, Leo Lakio, Palama Kid, and mel got that one right!

Here are the current standings with one day left to play!
74: Surfingfarmboy
58: Palama Kid
48: Moto
37.5: mel
36: Leo Lakio
34: helen
6.5: manoasurfer123

New questions: Next Post!

mel
September 17th, 2006, 09:26 PM
I would have never gotten the 1st one since I don't own and never plan to own a cell phone. No text me$$aging for me.

damontucker
September 17th, 2006, 09:34 PM
I'm going to ask my high-schoolers tomorrow and see how many get it.

Do we get a bonus point if they can't figure it out...

I googled it...I yahood ...etc..

Scrivener....If any of your kids do get it...please deduct a point from me!

scrivener
September 17th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 31!
Here are today's questions! The last set!

Category: Does that Star-Spangled Banner Yet Wave
What ESPN SportsCenter host was thrown into uncontrollable hysterics during a broadcast where one "highlight" was Carl Lewis's awful performance of "The Star-Spangled Banner?"

Category: O'er the Land of the Free
Who, when directed to bring some humor to her performance of "The Star-Spangled Banner," imitated the behavior of baseball players by grabbing her crotch and spitting just before being booed off the field?

Category: And the Home of the Brave?
When a thirteen-year-old girl, right at her big moment, found herself frozen in front of a packed house before an NBA playoff game she was supposed to open with her rendition of "The Star-Spangled Banner," who famously came to her assistance by placing an arm around her and singing along with her until they got through it together?

And don't forget about the extension on yesterday's question!

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 p.m. on Monday, September 18! Good luck, and have fun!

scrivener
September 18th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 31!
Here are today's answers! The last set!

Category: Does that Star-Spangled Banner Yet Wave
What ESPN SportsCenter host was thrown into uncontrollable hysterics during a broadcast where one "highlight" was Carl Lewis's awful performance of "The Star-Spangled Banner?"
Check it out here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_0GblbqfaY). Charlie Steiner. Helen, Surfingfarmboy, Palama Kid, Moto, and Leo Lakio got that one!

Category: O'er the Land of the Free
Who, when directed to bring some humor to her performance of "The Star-Spangled Banner," imitated the behavior of baseball players by grabbing her crotch and spitting just before being booed off the field?
I'm sure this is on YouTube as well: Roseanne Barr. I didn't think it was that big a deal, to be honest. Anapuni808, Leo Lakio, Moto, Palama Kid, and Surfingfarmboy got that one!

Category: And the Home of the Brave?
When a thirteen-year-old girl, right at her big moment, found herself frozen in front of a packed house before an NBA playoff game she was supposed to open with her rendition of "The Star-Spangled Banner," who famously came to her assistance by placing an arm around her and singing along with her until they got through it together?
Maurice Cheeks, man. He was the head coach of the Portland Trailblazers and it was a thing of beauty. Brings tears to my eyes just about every time I think about it. Read a great retelling of the incident here (http://pla.blogspot.com/2003_04_27_pla_archive.html) (scroll down to April 29, 2003). Surfingfarmboy, Palama Kid, Moto, and Leo Lakio got that one!

I'll bet if I'd made this one worth twenty points, someone would have gotten it. As it is, the results are pretty much set, so I don't think anyone was THAT motivated. *sigh*

Fran Tarkenton
John Ritter
Freddie Mercury

Alec Cooke.

A Google of Alec Cooke immediately reveals that his nickame (as people mentioned in pmail) is Ace Cool.

Fran Tarkenton
John Ritter
Freddie Mercury
[insert name here]
Ace Cool

I gave the hint that John Ritter was ONLY on this list because of the name of his character on [i]Three's Company: Jack Tripper.

Fran Tarkenton
Jack Tripper
Freddie Mercury
[insert name here]
Ace Cool

Well...what do you know? Now we have a Jack and an Ace...What could Freddie Mercury have to do with these names? Hm? Oh! That's right! He was the lead singer of QUEEN.

Fran Tarkenton
Jack Tripper
Queen
[insert name here]
Ace Cool

At this point, I don't think you'd even need to figure out what Fran Tarkenton is doing on this list, but for those still not getting it: Tarkenton's jersey number was 10.

Jack
Queen
[insert name here]
Ace

You can see why I said a lot of names would fit here, yes? I was hoping someone would submit Elvis Presley.

aaaaaand here are the final standings!
77: Surfingfarmboy
61: Palama Kid
51: Moto
39: Leo Lakio
37.5: mel
35: helen
6.5: manoasurfer123
1: Madazza, craigwatanabe, Anapuni808

Surfingfarmboy and Palama Kid tired for the early lead and the game was really between them throughout, but Surfingfarmboy showed once again why he's the defending champ! Especially impressive was Moto's very strong finish as only a part-time participant -- he was always flying to other countries and islands and couldn't always participate!

Congratulations to the winners and to everyone, really, for participating. And thanks to you all for the words of encouragement over this past month! We'll get the prize situation straightened out in the next few days.

If you offered to donate a prize, would you please pmail me confirmation? Thanks!

edit: I won't pretend I meant to write that Surfingfarmboy and Palama Kid "tired" for the early lead, but I'm leaving it. Call it a Freudian dick!