Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest: Game 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest: Game 3

It's been nearly a year since Game 2, or as some have come to call it, "Surfingfarmboy Returns." I put up a feeler post a few weeks ago, and while the response was somewhat underwhelming, I've gotten some p/mail from people who, even if they don't necessarily want to play it, would like to be spectators, so let's just do it.

We will launch on the evening of August 15, at about 9:00 p.m. and go every night until the last set of questions is posted on the evening of September 14.

Those of you who are just joining us might wish to review the rules as posted in the first contest, and then the additions as posted in the second contest. It wouldn't hurt you to look at the questions and answers, either, to get a sense of what kind of questions you can expect.

And if you've still got some coffee left in your mug and it's not quite time to shove off to work, read my review of The Office -- still the most under-read, under-rated, and under-responded-to thread on HT!

There will be (small but nice) prizes, but don't play the game for the prizes -- play for the agony of defeat!
    Last edited by scrivener; August 10, 2006, 09:15 PM. Reason: "you don't have to put on the red light..."
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest: Game 3

I'm in. I sat out the last one because I think we were either planning a trip, going on a trip, or we had company. But this time all I have is enough work to keep me up around the clock for about six weeks, so what the hey?

@
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 1!
      Here are today's questions!
      1. Category: Sappy Television That Left Us in a Happy Daze
        Richie misses the shot and loses the game. Howard (as always) gives
        Richie comforting words of wisdom. What kind of candy does he then offer
        his son?
      2. Category: He's Singing About Orange Juice, Right?
        What invitation did Ted Nugent famously give to anyone who wanted to get
        mellow at his concert?
      3. Category: We've Got No Principles
        Where on Oahu are people encouraged to "enter to learn," then to "go forth
        to serve?"

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Wednesday, August 16! Good luck, and have fun!
      Last edited by scrivener; August 15, 2006, 09:33 PM. Reason: "they decorated all the generals who fought the war behind the lines..."
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 1!
        Here are today's answers!

Category: Sappy Television That Left Us in a Happy Daze
        Richie misses the shot and loses the game. Howard (as always) gives
        Richie comforting words of wisdom. What kind of candy does he then offer
        his son?
        A Lifesaver! Peppermint! They actually make a reference to this early episode of Happy Days in a much, much later episode (I believe it's the one where they go to California; the one where the show actually jumped the shark) when Howard says, "Remember when you missed that shot?" and Richie chuckles and says, "Yeah. You offered me a Lifesaver." Then Howard says, "Peppermint!" Five Flavors go to Moto, Surfingfarmboy, and Palama Kid for getting that right!

Category: He's Singing About Orange Juice, Right?
        What invitation did Ted Nugent famously give to anyone who wanted to get
        mellow at his concert?
        In the intro to the live version of "Wang Dang Sweet Poontang," the Nuge says, "Anyone wants to get mellow, you can turn around and the f--- outta here, okay?" Bow-hunted venison goes to Surfingfarmboy, Palama Kid, and Madazza for getting the f--- in there!

Best wrong answer is from Helen, who says, "Drink tomato juice."

Category: We've Got No Principles
        Where on Oahu are people encouraged to "enter to learn," then to "go forth
        to serve?"
        There are two correct answers (at least): BYU-Hawaii and Farrington High School, both of which claim "Enter to learn. Go forth to serve" as their mottos. Hail! Hail! to Surfingfarmboy and Palama Kid for being true to their school!

So after one day, here are the standings!
        3: Surfingfarmboy, Palama Kid
        1: Madazza, Moto

Plenty of time left to jump in on this game!
        New questions, next post!
        Last edited by scrivener; August 16, 2006, 09:48 PM. Reason: "don't you want somebody to love?"
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
          Plenty of time left to jump in on this game! New questions, next post!
          D'oh! I completely lost track of this. I've gotta bookmark the thread, 'cause without bumps it disappears off the active threads list pretty quickly!

Answers via e-mail to mitchell@mitchellkdwyer.net, yes? Have you gotten prize contributions? I'll definitely toss something into the mix, which is the best way to participate when you're going to reliably come in at the bottom of the heap.

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 2!
            1. Category: Malled, Then Eatin'
              One of Hawaii's earliest shopping-center food-courts was at Pearlridge Center in the 1970s. What was its name?
            2. Category: 42!
              It's an Oahu street, but it's also a lake and an island (that last part fairly recently). What the heck is this?
            3. Category: Shut Your Trapezoid!
              What annual event is run by the mathematics club of Brigham Young University-Hawaii? I'm only taking the official name of this event OR its popular nickname. If it looks like a guess, I'm not counting it!

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Thursday, August 17! Good luck, and have fun!
            Last edited by scrivener; August 16, 2006, 11:06 PM. Reason: "a small moment that we share is only yours and mine..."
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Even though these were all my "era" I didn't know them, and didn't have the energy to dig 'em out! So I'll try and jump in on day two.
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                Answers via e-mail to mitchell@mitchellkdwyer.net, yes? Have you gotten prize contributions? I'll definitely toss something into the mix, which is the best way to participate when you're going to reliably come in at the bottom of the heap.
                The email address is for submissions of questions only. Please pmail me your answers to my daily questions.
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 2!

Category: Malled, Then Eatin'
                  One of Hawaii's earliest shopping-center food-courts was at Pearlridge Center in the 1970s. What was its name?
                  International Kitchen. I remember getting spaghetti most of the time. I also remember a children's eating area, where there was a television playing Checkers and Pogo or something like that. My mom took us here often when my dad was deployed. I can't decide whether this is a happy memory or a sad one. Sushi, calzone, taquitos, and mandoo for helen, localgrl, pzarquon, erika engle, and surfingfarmboy for knowing that one!

Category: 42!
                  It's an Oahu street, but it's also a lake and an island (that last part fairly recently). What the heck is this?
                  Yeah, I know this question wasn't as clear as it could have been, but many of you had the right idea, with a close-but-not-quite answer of "Salt Lake." I was referring to the road that is mostly called "Salt Lake Boulevard" but becomes "Ford Island Boulevard." See? It's a street, but it's a Lake and an Island.

Nobody got it, 'though I really like surfingfarmboy's answer: "Vancouver Drive in St. Louis Heights." Isn't Vancouver drive in Manoa?

Category: Shut Your Trapezoid!
                  What annual event is run by the mathematics club of Brigham Young University-Hawaii? I'm only taking the official name of this event OR its popular nickname. If it looks like a guess, I'm not counting it!
                  It's the Hawaii State Mathematics Championship, or the Math Bowl. I have some great Math Bowl stories, but perhaps another time. tan(45) points to helen, localgrl, pzarquon, moto, surfingfarmboy, and palama kid being ready to rhombus!

Here are the current standings!
                  5: Surfingfarmboy
                  4: Palama Kid
                  2: Moto, pzarquon, localgrl, helen
                  1: Madazza, Erika Engle

Everyone's still in it, so don't be afraid to jump in! New questions, next post!
                  Last edited by scrivener; August 17, 2006, 10:37 PM. Reason: "making your way in the world today takes everything you've got..."
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 3!
                    Here are today's questions! Today's theme: The high school teacher is exhausted and pop culture questions are just easier to think up!
                    1. Category: You Can't Hide Your Lion Eyes
                      What 1969 rock and roll album's cover-art looks at first like a black-and-white drawing of a roaring lion, but on closer inspection reveals a whole bunch of freaky faces?
                    2. Category: May I Go Wee Now? Yes, You May Go Wee. Wheeeee!
                      What local publication recently printed a photo of Michelle Wee hanging out at the Ocean Club?
                    3. Category: The Sound and the Furry
                      What comic strip character recently attempted to pull an "all dayer," staying up at least until noon?

My apologies for the quality of today's questions. I'll come up with better ones tomorrow!

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Friday, August 18! Good luck, and have fun!
                    Last edited by scrivener; August 17, 2006, 11:22 PM. Reason: "hello world, here's the song that we're singing...come on, get happy!"
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                      Isn't Vancouver drive in Manoa?
                      Manoa...St.Louis Heights...they are all pretty much the same to me. But yes..to be as accurate as possible, Vancouver Drive, though close (and a mountain ridge away) to STH, is located in Manoa. Like Royal Summit is in Pearl City. (Just kidding, Mitchell!..I'm not going to open up that can of worms and subsequent thread from the Trivia game #1!)
                      Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; August 17, 2006, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Today's questions are just as I intend them. That's all I'll say.
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Man, I wasted so much time on that "street, lake and island" question. Sure learned a lot about Hawaii lakes, though.
                          Last edited by pzarquon; August 18, 2006, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 3!

Category: You Can't Hide Your Lion Eyes
                            What 1969 rock and roll album's cover-art looks at first like a black-and-white drawing of a roaring lion, but on closer inspection reveals a whole bunch of freaky faces?
                            I'm too lazy to put a picture of it here, but feel free to google santana "self-titled" and see if you can get a close-up look. It's kind of a neat cover. Palama Kid, Mel, Surfingfarmboy, Leo Lakio, and pzarquon (who provided this cool article about the artist) don't need to change their evil ways, since they got it right! Jdub gets a half-point for getting the artist right but the album title wrong.

Category: May I Go Wee Now? Yes, You May Go Wee. Wheeeee!
                            What local publication recently printed a photo of Michelle Wee hanging out at the Ocean Club?
                            This one may not have been fair to our mainlanders, but it was findable, and besides, nobody got it right! Uh-huh. Midweek is read by more people than the Star-Bulletin? Apparently not on HT!

Category: The Sound and the Furry
                            What comic strip character recently attempted to pull an "all dayer," staying up at least until noon?
                            This link will only be good for a few weeks, so click it now. Yes, it's Bucky Katt in Get Fuzzy. A trip to the fishmonger's dumpster for Jdub, Leo Lakio, and pzarquon for getting that right!

Here are the current standings!

6: Surfingfarmboy
                            5: Palama Kid
                            4: pzarquon
                            2: Moto, localgrl, helen, Leo Lakio
                            1.5: jdub
                            1: Madazza, Erika Engle, mel

New questions, next post!
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 4!
                              1. Category: Charm School
                                What HTer, absent for more than a year, owns a Good Luck shop in the 99 Ranch Market?
                              2. Category: And She Shot an Arrow into My Heart
                                What Oscar-winning actress very nearly made the 2000 U.S. archery team?
                              3. Category: Stop in the Name of Love
                                What is the name of the popular children's playground game where players race toward a child while his or her back is turned but freeze in place when he or she turns around to face them? (additional info: if somone is seen moving when the child turns around, he or she is sent back to the starting line)

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Saturday, August 19! Good luck, and have fun!
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                              X