Student friendly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student friendly?

I'm a 36 year old man considering moving to Hawaii (Oahu) in the next year or so. However, I don't yet have a University degree. I'm going to start taking classes online next month, but I'd really like to move to Hawaii before I'm 40!!

Does anyone know if not having a degree is a major obstacle in Hawaii? I've heard that most jobs are in the service sector / retail etc that don't require a degree, but I wonder if I'm going to be competing for those jobs with fresh graduates?! Obviously I'm going to keep working on my degree and get it as soon as I can. I wonder if companies will take that into account when I apply.

I have good job references, and have been at my current job for more than 10 years.

I'd really appreciate any advice anyone has on this subject

Aloha to all

Re: Student friendly?

Get out the hip boots and foul weather gear, folks, because I smell a storm of angry replies coming.

Garrett -- it's not our "fresh graduates" that you'd be competing against for those jobs... it's all of our local workforce. You'll be competing against local folks who already work two and even three jobs just to scrape by here.
    Consider how you'd feel if someone moved into your hometown and tried to take away your job?
    This is a very very touchy subject here in Hawai`i, so you'll probably get some angry responses. Don't take 'em personally, but do heed the advice.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Good luck...

But like they say "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"

If you've had your current job for 10 years... I wouldn't throw that away to come here and "look" for something.

Comment

The older you get, the harder it's going to be to take that leap of faith that something good is at the end of the rainbow. However, if you don't have any familial obligations (like a wife and kids), have saved up a chunk of money to tide you over for awhile, and are willing to work as many jobs as you have to to keep a roof over your head, you might as well take the plunge (oh, and have a return ticket back to the Mainland and an alternate plan B if things don't work out in Hawai'i).

That way at the end of your life, you won't regret never having had the experience of living and working in Hawai'i.

Good luck.
        Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

might be a good idea to check out the job market in your profession - and if that is not good - like what was said already - be willing to work at what eva.
          good luck

Comment

So it can be done. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Garrett
              So it can be done. Thanks.
              Well, doing a triathalon or eating 60 hot dogs in two minutes can be done, too. But some things take more planning or training than others. On the plus side, Hawaii has a few options for 'nontraditional students' -- night classes for a college degree, weekend classes for an MBA. On the down side, they're doing quite well, because lots of people are seeing a college degree as an advantage, just as you suspect it might be.

Hawaii's entry level job market is really good. Turnover is so high in some jobs, you can get a job in a day -- as a waiter, or a retail peon, or a bank teller, or the like. Will that make you enough to earn a living, to eat and keep a roof over your head? That's the real challenge. Hence why many here hold two or three jobs to make ends meet.

More mid-level jobs are harder to come by, but while you might succeed with the right background and attitude, you should also know that people with college degrees are working behind cash registers and serving steaks all over town, 'cause they can't get the job they figured they would in their preferred profession. So with 10 years work experience but only a high school diploma, I wouldn't be picky.

Can it be done? Sure. Just try and line up some job and housing prospects before you get on that plane, and don't get on that plane without several thousand dollars in savings.

Comment

Originally posted by Garrett
                I have good job references, and have been at my current job for more than 10 years.
                Hi, Garrett. One thing I think would be helpful to know: in what field do you have a valuable decade of experience? People might be able to give you responses focused on that type of job (unless you don't want to continue in it), since you've held it for ten years without a degree.

Comment

Working...
                X