Private school tuition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private school tuition

Yoicks. No wonder the parents who are suing to change Kamehameha Schools' admissions policies wanted their kid to go there. The cost of private school tuition is astronomical!
    Punahou School is charging $14,725 for the 2006-07 school year, an increase of $950. Mid-Pacific Institute and Iolani School are charging $13,950 and $13,100, respectively — increases of $980 and $900 over last year's tuition. Damien is keeping its increase to $475, with the yearly cost rising to $8,125.
    The state's costliest private school, the Big Island's Hawai'i Preparatory Academy, will see its high school tuition hit $16,350 this year, up $1,350 over last year.
    ...And that's still much less than the cost of private schools in some of the priciest Mainland markets. In Los Angeles, for instance, last year's median school tuition was $22,870, while in New York City it was $27,200, according to a Wall Street Journal survey.
    Man, that would buy a lot of bologna and cheese sandwich lunches in public school.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Private school tuition

TRUST ME!!! if you have the money... it's worth it.

I'm not saying go broke and get loans to send your kids to private school... I'm just saying that the schools are much better then DOE schools.

you forgot to mention that it's now mandatory for 6th graders to have Laptops at Punahou also
    Last edited by damontucker; August 11, 2006, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Tuition at my school is $18,500 this year. Whether or not any school's tuition is "worth it" is purely a subjective statement, of course. I would actually much rather go into debt sending my kids to private primary and secondary schools than college. What I want my kids to get out of private school educations is much more worth it to me as a (someday) parent than what I want them to get out of a college education.

Is $18,500 worth it? If your child has learning needs that cannot be met elsewhere and only one school in the state addresses those needs, I suppose so. It all depends on what it is you want your child to get out of his or her education. A quality education can be had at any public school, and it is my belief that anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't understand how education works. It's important, I think, to remember that private schools here focus on particular missions. My school's mission is very, very specific. Other schools' missions are equally so; the school I graduated from is, by my measure, a much, much "better" school than Punahou or Iolani, because while those schools emphasize academic excellence, they lack a concerted emphasis on spiritual development that I'd want for my kids. Other schools focus almost entirely on character development with little regard to academic competition. Others exist for students who just don't seem to fit in anywhere else, or who have recently been through some kind of traumatic experience. For kids whose parents are looking for these kinds of schools, I'd say the tuition is worth it.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I believe what scrivevener said 90% of it.

As most of you know... public schools here in Hawaii are lacking in all departments.

However, I'd like to hear from both sides of the ocean: Mainland Public Schools vs. Hawaii Public schools.

Does anyone out there know much about the public schools in the mainland?

What do you feel about mainland Public School Systems vs. Hawaii's Public School system. We only had one Private School at the time where I lived...(correct me if I'm wrong Maddie... and that was called Assumption.... and yes it was based upon the catholic religion... irrelevant to what I'm leading to... this school was only for grades k-8.... There were no Private High Schools to Attend. So these kids that were in Private school from k-8 then had to either move to a new city or attend the Public High Schools in the area (which at the time were only 2... now there is a third).

However, it was weird... most of the kids that came from the private schools felt dissassociated with all of the other students thus making them outcasts at the school... many of them, then became the rebels... trouble makers...etc...

So I was just wondering if anyone has any direct experience with Mainland Public Schools vs. Hawaii Public Schools.
        Last edited by damontucker; August 11, 2006, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Well here's my input, my son is going into the 5th grade and already doing Algebra (they started in 3rd grade!) When my daughter started kindergarden....she was bringing home 5 pages of homework! I remember when I was in kindergarden, all we did was nap, snack, and art! I have trouble now just helping my son with his algebra problems, if any he helps me! lol! They don't mess around here with the education of the kids either, they stress that the teachers have to cram so many into the kids to pass the state testing every year! I'm proud of the education my kids are getting here compared to what they could get back home.
          Live for today....tommorow is never promised

Comment

WHOA, yep I heard the newsreport on this today, and it freaked me out. We simply couldn't afford a mortgage, good quality of life and private tuition, so we homeschooled both of our daughters. I know many mothers work and can't do this, while many work to afford the private schools. We each have to do what is best for our own family. We've never regretting homeschooling and I hear some of the private schools here are wonderful, too.
            Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
              I believe what scrivevener said 90% of it.

As most of you know... public schools here in Hawaii are lacking in all departments.

However, I'd like to hear from both sides of the ocean: Mainland Public Schools vs. Hawaii Public schools.

Does anyone out there know much about the public schools in the mainland?

Ummm... the mainland is a pretty big place

There are plenty of great public schools throughout the mainland and plenty of poor ones as well. This is a generalization, but suburban public schools tend to produce better student performance than urban schools. There are a lot of reasons for this pattern.

With regards to private school tuition in Hawaii, tuition is a bargain compared to private schools in many cities on the mainland.

Comment

I live in a suburb of Kansas City MO, we are a school district that is independent of KC. as far as education goes my child brings home homework that will range from 2 -5 pages a day as well as assigned reading of 30 mins a night. the schools have a no tolerance to bullying or disrespect to teachers/staff or even other students. looking at the last 5 yrs of graduating seniors the schools average a between 92-98% of graduating seniors go onto some form of college/university/vocational training and graduate. I think those are DAMN good numbers...esp considering where we moved from in CA only had a 23% average....
                Support Lung Cancer Research

Comment

Oops. Re-reading this, I see I misquoted myself. Make that $16,500. Still the highest in the state.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Oops. Re-reading this, I see I misquoted myself. Make that $16,500. Still the highest in the state.
                    That leaves $2,000 for the childs laptop, cell phone and gold plated pencil set.

Comment

Private schools are important for the kids that don't fit in, either because they are too smart or socially challenged or superior athletically, bound to be discriminated against for some reason etc etc.

For the other 80%, it makes no difference. In fact, in Hawaii, I think the best way to kill the fighting spirit of your average kid is to send them to private school. I've known many Punahou, Iolani and Kamehameha grads who "peaked" on graduation day because they felt entitled to success not simply given the opportunity to start the fight.

When I look around at the people I know in Hawaii (1000s), I can't look at the "products" (the adults) and tell if they were public or private school trained. That's my double blind test. If there seem to be equal numbers of successful or happy or productive individuals from Hawaii private schools as public, then where is the benefit?

Comment

kamuelakea - I doubt your statement here is true.
                        When I look around at the people I know in Hawaii (1000s), I can't look at the "products" (the adults) and tell if they were public or private school trained.
                        If you would quit judging people by the the covers... you may find some real interesting very well educated people that do not "look" like they are educated.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                          kamuelakea - I doubt your statement here is true.

If you would quit judging people by the the covers... you may find some real interesting very well educated people that do not "look" like they are educated.

I think you misunderstood me or I didn't make it clear. My point is precisely that. You cannot judge a book by its cover. Some of the smartest guys I know went to public school. Some of the smartest guys I know went to private school. Same thing for happiness, wealth, productivity etc etc.

I cannot tell by looking at the "cover" whether someone went to private or public school. So whats the value in 15Gs a year if the product outcome isn't obviously superior.

You pay 70Gs for a BMW 700 series, there better be a difference between it and a Hundai. If not, why spend the money?

Comment

So your assuming that people that drive nice cars went to private schools?
                            You pay 70Gs for a BMW 700 series, there better be a difference between it and a Hundai. If not, why spend the money?
                            I'm sure there are drug dealers that didn't even go to school driving these type of cars.

Sounds like your profiling like the cops do in the south... That black person is driving a fancy car...therefore... let's pull em over and see what his business is.

I know people that went to private schools...that still don't even own a car.

Comment

Manoa, put the 40 down and read Kamuelakea's post slowly, out loud. If it still says what you think it says, just log out and come back later. You keep making these bizarre leaps that don't exist. Kamuelakea never said anything like what you're thinking. In either this post or the one before it.
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                              X