Leukemia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leukemia

3 months ago my father was diagnosed with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia, which is cancer of the blood and bone marrow. His health condition rapidly declined since, with symptoms including blood clots on the skin due to low platelets, shortness of breath and overall tiredness.

He had to have several blood transfusions due to low blood count, then finally was admitted to Kaiser Moanalua two weeks ago for induction chemotherapy (Cytarabine). This lowered his immune system to 0%, at which time pneumonia set it in. On top of that, some blood began to fill in the lungs and his breathing became more and more difficult. Auxiliary oxygen barely helped.

My sister Keanu and I spent every hour we could with him at the hospital, which was very difficult seeing him in this condition.

He passed away yesterday, Friday, August 11th at 1:15am. He was 77.

He was a loving father and had a successful career which included officer of the Hilo Police Department, Director of Economic Development - Hawaii County, Division Chief of the Department of Agriculture - state of Hawaii, Manager of the Papaya Administrative Committee and volunteer chairperson/webmaster of SCORE Hawaii.

Any experiences to share about Leukemia would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Pomai; August 12, 2006, 08:10 AM.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Leukemia

My uncle had Lukemia but he also had AIDS * he had ony been diagnosed with lukemia for 3 years before he was diagnosed with full blown AIDS...so the Lukemia never really had a chance to do the damage to his body before the AIDS set in. He died of a heart attack 10 years ago after 6 bouts with pnemonia. He was never strong enough to begin any treatment.

I am very sorry for your loss.

I am thankful he did not have to go through Chemo I have seen first hand how devestaingly tiring and hard it can be.
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Condolences, Pomai. Sounds like your dad was a hard worker, and a real asset to the communities he served. I don't have any first-hand experience with leukemia, but know that it can be a long and painful fight. No doubt those short three months felt like a lifetime and a half, and I'm glad you and your sister were there for him. We'll keep you and your family in our thoughts.

Comment

You've got my deepest sympathies, Pomai, and I'm so sorry for your loss.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Pomai: I'm sorry that there's nothing much I can write except that, in some small way, we all share your loss today, and hope that it makes the burden a little bit lighter for you and your family. =Gregg=

Comment

Pomai,

Many condolances for your loss. I lost my mom to cancer (not Lukemia) so I know the deal. The decline is bad in any cancer situation. Add to that the loss of a parent and it's just horrible. Sorry to hear it, Pomai.
            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Thanks gang. I'm really depressed right now, but time will heal.

My sister lives in Missouri, where she said Nelly (the rapper) who is also from MO has donated alot of money to Leukemia research after losing his sister at 31 to the disease.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Just stopped by to give my condolances to you and your Ohana Pomai.

God Bless all of you...

Auntie Lynn

Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Pomai, I am sorry for the loss of your father. It sounds like he was a very giving and loved person.

A dear friend of mine died from leukemia. In fighting the disease, he had a bone marrow transplant, and a donor drive was held. [I've learned that donors of Asian, Hawaiian, Pacific Islander or mixed ancestry are especially needed for the Hawaii and National registries: see the registry website http://www.stfrancishawaii.org/sfhs/...one_marrow.jsp .]

Please take care of yourself - and know that you are in the thoughts of many of us.

Comment

I'd noticed your decreased participation on HT, Pomai, and was about to check in on you. Now I know the reason. My sincerest condolences to you and your entire family.

Depression is a by-product of grief. Allow yourself to grieve, to cry, to be angry, to love, to miss and to yearn for your dad. And, yes, time is the biggest healer. You'll know when the healing process starts to take hold, when your tears of sadness begin to turn to tears of joy and laughter when recalling wonderful memories. In the meantime...cry...cry...and cry some more. Really.

Several years ago leukemia took the 19 year old son of dear friends. I think it was the same kind your dad had. Mark, a big, strapping, 19 year old, caught a cold in November that didn't knock him out but also lingered into December. His mom took him to the doctor to get antibiotics. Fortunately the doc did a blood test instead of arbitrarily handing out a prescription. The lab results were the first clue that something was amiss and, as it turned out, terribly amiss. Mark tolerated his first round of chemo extremely well and went into remission. The following April he said he felt 'funny'. A 2nd round of chemo was extremely hard on him. He made his transition the end of July...7 months from diagnosis to transition.

{{{{{Pomai and family}}}}}

Comment

My deepest sympathy, Pomai. People cope with grief and stress in different ways but I am glad you are able to reach out to people at this time. Your father sounds like a wonderful man.

Comment

As I've said before ... Heaven just became a better place.

My condolences for you and your ohana Pomai,

Manoa

Comment

I'm very sorry, Pomai. I'm sure your father was grateful to have you there as he moved on.

Aloha,
                          MadAzza

Comment

Pomai, my heartfelt condolences to you and your ohana on the death of your father. AML sucks. The husband of a friend of mine died from the same disease. It also took him quickly. It was sad to see a large robust man (retired as a detective from the Seattle Police Dept) waste away to nothing and be wracked with so much pain and to be so frail at the end. Our Seattle
                            Schools Superintendent, John Sampson, also had AML (he died about 5 years ago). He had bone marrow replacement too, but his disease overwhelmed him, even though he fought hard to overcome it. He was considered one of the most dynamic and popular of all the school superintendents this district has ever had.

Although it's sad not to have him there with you in the physical sense, please take comfort in knowing that your Dad is still watching over you, in a place where he is once again healthy and free of pain.

Malama pono,
                            Miulang
                            Last edited by Miulang; August 12, 2006, 03:26 PM.
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Pomai...There's never anything one can say in a time like this, my sincere and deepest sympathy goes out to you and your family at this time. May God grant you the peace and understanding at a time of loss.

Aloha ~ Roberta
                              Live for today....tommorow is never promised

Comment

Working...
                              X