Cheap Cars - Which one to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap Cars - Which one to buy?

You used to be able to buy a brand new car for under 10 grand. Now it’s slim to none in that department. I’m thinking of buying the new Toyota Yaris. Any thoughts on which cheapee car is the best bang out there for the buck?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Re: Cheap Cars - Which one to buy?

Dunno about the Yaris per se, but I did just recently buy a Toyota and it was one of the best car-buying experiences I've had. Got it at Servco Mapunapuna. No hassles, no pressure, no haggling. Just go in and buy the car. Price is set at MSRP, and they give whatever maker discounts are available. Easy as that.

Comment

I would never buy at MSRP. My boy's 2006 fully loaded Nissan Sentra "S" was MSRP'd at $17,500. After 4-hours we got it for $12,500. But I can see no hassles if you're willing to agree to MSRP and dealer discounts. It's what they're already willing to sell it for anyway.

You want a cheap car buy a base line KIA Rio with a 10-year factory warranty for under $10,000. Own it for five years then sell it. The warranty is transferrable and is one of the greatest selling points of any used car. Imagine that a five year old car that's probably worth less than half it's "new" price if not less (depending on condition) WITH a five year warranty.

Or better yet, buy a two year old base line KIA Rio (depreciation already taken out when buying used) and own it for three years then sell it with a five year warranty.

It seems that new cars start developing problems just after the five year mark: squeaks, slight engine management problems, electronic bugs in the power windows, doorlocks, seats, whatever. At five years you're probably due for a timing belt/water pump change and that's big bucks or even new tires and or suspension components. Guarantee after two years you should be looking at replacing that factory battery.

I've realized unless you have a love for your car (like my 89 BMW 635CSI), you should unload that 5-year old auto before it starts unloading your wallet.

Five years...that's the magic number for new car ownership.
      Last edited by craigwatanabe; August 15, 2006, 12:08 PM.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
        You used to be able to buy a brand new car for under 10 grand. Now it’s slim to none in that department. I’m thinking of buying the new Toyota Yaris. Any thoughts on which cheapee car is the best bang out there for the buck?
        I'm curious about the Yaris, so if you test-drive one, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

I was going through the H-3 tunnel townbound the other night (in my 1993 Miata, Craig!), kind of late, and I came across a group of those things, like a club maybe? The little boys driving them had obviously screwed up the air intake/exhaust systems, as they do with every Honda on the road these days, because it sounded like a swarm of angry bees going through the tunnel, and of course, they had actually succeeded in lowering the overall power output.

They blocked both lanes of the tunnel because they couldn't accelerate to pass one another after ruining their little cars' performance. You could tell that when the driver pressed on the accelerator pedal, the car would make the usual obnoxious "BWAAAAAAH!" sound, but not actually speed up.

But the cars looked cute! And I'll bet they "go" very well before teenage boys start messing with them.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
          I was going through the H-3 tunnel townbound the other night (in my 1993 Miata, Craig
          What what? Hey there's nothing wrong with Miata's other than the rear trunk so small you can't fit a beach chair in one and the super cold AC that frosts the windshield or the power window switches located next to your right elbow that you hit with when shifting from 1st to 2nd.

They're nice cars but I prefer my BMW but hey I'm not gonna rant on your car (even though you didn't print my last editorial...sheesh okay that missile broke apart instead of blowing up...picky picky picky )

Hey Kimo...don't stay away too long okay?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
            What what?
            'cuz you said "no cars more than five years old" ya silly!

And calling Kimo back? Man, that hurts!

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
              'cuz you said "no cars more than five years old" ya silly!

And calling Kimo back? Man, that hurts!

Oh...never mind

And Kimo? I'm sure he'll be back either on HT or sometime in your life, this state is too small not to bump into each other again. Remember there was something in both of you that attracted each other once upon a time.

Comment

Oh...never mind

And Kimo? I'm sure he'll be back either on HT or sometime in your life, this state is too small not to bump into each other again. Remember there was something in both of you that attracted each other once upon a time.
                Whoa, buddy! Kimo and I are still friends, as far as I know. He continually pisses me off in HT, but that's nothing new.

Comment

You want a cheap car buy a base line KIA Rio with a 10-year factory warranty for under $10,000. Own it for five years then sell it. The warranty is transferrable and is one of the greatest selling points of any used car. Imagine that a five year old car that's probably worth less than half it's "new" price if not less (depending on condition) WITH a five year warranty.

Or better yet, buy a two year old base line KIA Rio (depreciation already taken out when buying used) and own it for three years then sell it with a five year warranty.
                  I would do this in a heartbeat if I could envision myself in a KIA Rio. Nah. It looks more like a toy than a miata (with far less performance to boot)!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                  USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                  X