Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idaho DJ insults Hawai`i

Amazing letter in today's Star-Bulletin at this link, part of which states:

"On Friday, July 7, the disc jockey on KCLX in Moscow, Idaho, mentioned that on this date in 1887, the United States was looking to secure a "possession" in the Pacific and so forced the kingdom of Hawaii to surrender. (Editor's note: The date refers to the signing of the Bayonet Constitution.) He said it was obviously easy to force a nation such as this, since it was hard to defend itself armed with nothing more than hula hoops and ukuleles.
    "How tasteless! I believe a public apology is necessary to all Hawaiian people everywhere."

Full letter at the link above.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Idaho DJ insults Hawai`i

I don't know how up to date this Moscow, ID Chamber of Commerce info is, but...

KZZL/KRAO/KMAX/KCLX
    Gary Cummings
    P.O. Box 8849
    Moscow, ID 83843
    Phone: (509) 397-3441
    Fax: (509) 397-4752
    Email: gary@inlandradio.com

I sent an email about 5 minutes ago. It hasn't bounced...so far!

Comment

Tutue -

The website you posted for this doesn't seem to be working.

Can you repost a working site please... Mahalo.

Comment

I looked for a website too but they apparently don't have one. They're a little 1,000-watt AM station. The signal probably carries about 3 miles. Not likely to have a website. And it appears that it might be a college station.
        But I hope Tutu gets a reply to her e-mail. If so, we can all follow suit.
        Way to go, Tutu! [/high five]
        Last edited by LikaNui; August 15, 2006, 02:12 PM.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

EDIT - forget it. If you didn't catch it while it was posted, too bad.
          Last edited by Leo Lakio; August 15, 2006, 04:46 PM.

Comment

First off. All morning disc jockey's make fun of people... anybody.

Where the heck has your humor gone?

And then to start making up funny stuff about Idahoans.

How does that rate?

I giggled, but...

hey you are all complaining about what you figure as insensitivity.

Sheesh!
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Background: The gentleman who wrote the letter called me last week (from Idaho) to tell me about what he had heard on the radio there. We chatted for about a half-hour, during which time I suggested he write a letter to the editor about it. I have to admit I laughed out loud when he told me the DJ said something about Hawaiians being armed with "hula hoops." It's just so outrageous.

One thing he pointed out was that that type of comment ISN'T typical of people in that area. The area he lives in has a lot of native Americans, including, possibly, the DJ, for all we know. People aren't generally white supremacists or idiots just because they live in Idaho, although I know the ignorascenti elsewhere like to think all Idahoans are racial-slur-flinging, white-pointy-hood-wearing cave dwellers. Taint' so, so don't even go there.

I'm glad you enjoyed the letter. It's always fun to run something "different," amid all the political campaign spam.

Comment

I just called Gary Cummings of In Land Radio to get a working website for KCLX, and turns out that Gary is the General Manager...did I get lucky or what? I proceeded to tell him about this thread and the letter in the Star Bulletin.
                Mr. Cummings told me that KCLX is actually located in Washington State. I then read him the letter that was posted and invited him to respond, whether via this thread or any other forum...so let's see what happens....

BTW, he has not received any emails thus far on this same subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Ms_Aloha_Nui
                  I just called Gary Cummings of In Land Radio to get a working website for KCLX, and turns out that Gary is the General Manager...did I get lucky or what? I proceeded to tell him about this thread and the letter in the Star Bulletin.
                  Mr. Cummings told me that KCLX is actually located in Washington State. I then read him the letter that was posted and invited him to respond, whether via this thread or any other forum...so let's see what happens....

BTW, he has not received any emails thus far on this same subject.
                  Kinda makes sense for that DJ to make those kinds of remarks. The station is based is Colfax, WA, a "suburb" of Spokane. Their music format is country. That part of WA (next to the ID panhandle) is the "red" part of a "blue" state.

I seem to remember that another DJ from that station made another off handed comment about Hawai'i a couple of years ago, but I can't remember what the comment was.

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                    Kinda makes sense for that DJ to make those kinds of remarks. The station is based is Colfax, WA, a "suburb" of Spokane. Their music format is country. That part of WA (next to the ID panhandle) is the "red" part of a "blue" state.
                    How does any of that have anything to do with his comment?

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                      Tutue -

The website you posted for this doesn't seem to be working.

Can you repost a working site please... Mahalo.
                      Per my earlier message, all of that info (including that URL) was from the Moscow Chamber of Commerce's web site. I prefaced my earlier message with..."I don't know how up to date this Moscow, ID Chamber of Commerce info is...".

That's the best I can do. Did you, by chance, take the initiative to search for a working site?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                        Per my earlier message, all of that info (including that URL) was from the Moscow Chamber of Commerce's web site. I prefaced my earlier message with..."I don't know how up to date this Moscow, ID Chamber of Commerce info is...".

That's the best I can do. Did you, by chance, take the initiative to search for a working site?
                        Yes I did... couldn't find anything...thus I asked for you to repost.

Even tried... www.inlandradio.com (per the guys email) never work...

Comment

Sheep, stupidity, and "red" status? So in attempting to decry an uninformed, and stereotypical (but most likely intentionally obnoxious and generally humorous) statement about Hawaii on the Mainland, we're going to pile on with uniformed, stereotypical statements of our own? Brilliant.

I'm with Menehune Man. This kind of brashness is a staple of radio chatter. It ain't admirable, but it goes with the territory. As MadAzza notes, the community seems to be smart enough to know better.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                            Sheep, stupidity, and "red" status? So in attempting to decry an uninformed, and stereotypical (but most likely intentionally obnoxious and generally humorous) statement about Hawaii on the Mainland, we're going to pile on with uniformed, stereotypical statements of our own? Brilliant.

I'm with Menehune Man. This kind of brashness is a staple of radio chatter. It ain't admirable, but it goes with the territory. As MadAzza notes, the community seems to be smart enough to know better.
                            I wasn't going to write to them... I just wanted more background on the Radio Station.

Heck... Like it's been said... it could have been a college station...etc...

I hear a lot racist and sarcastic remarks out of a lot of the local DJ's here in Hawaii... but because they are in Hawaii...no one seems to get so snarky!

Comment

Originally posted by Ms_Aloha_Nui
                              [...]BTW, he has not received any emails thus far on this same subject.
                              So far my email, sent at 2:01 Hawaii time, has not bounced. However, it still can, I s'pose. We'll see. <tap><tap><tap>

Comment

Working...
                              X