Help narrowing down car search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help narrowing down car search

I've been looking around for potential vehicles, and I've compiled a list to choose from, and I need help narrowing them down:

Small SUV
    • Ford Escape
    • Honda CRV
    • Mazda Tribute
    • Toyota RAV4
    • Subaru Forester

Small Car
    • Toyota Matrix
    • Pontiac Vibe
    • VW Jetta
    • Ford Focus ZX3
    • Nissan Versa
    • Honda Fit
    • Toyota Yaris

The only criteria I have for these, is that they gotta be listed under $20,000.

Anyone has any experience driving any of these? Which should I stay away from?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Help narrowing down car search

Originally posted by doc1456
    Which should I stay away from?
    Any vehicle that tells you what you should do in relation to it.
    Originally posted by doc1456
    • Ford Escape

Comment

How'd you arrive at that list in the first place? Did you do some research on the computer? If you looked at places like Consumer Reports, Consumer Guide, etc. that should give you some idea of what the experts think. Then go to some enthusiasts' forums (just Google "Subaru user forums", etc.) and you'll come up with information on what other drivers think of the cars they own.

Then after you've narrowed your choices down to maybe 3, go take test drives in each of them. Everybody has different reasons for choosing the car they drive (looks, fuel economy, cargo space, etc). No one's going to convince you to buy something (I hope) that you haven't tried out for yourself, although I do have to admit, for being an American (Ford) car, the Focus does have a lot of fans (lots of different models and options to choose from, easily customizable, great "first" car).

Miulang
      Last edited by Miulang; August 16, 2006, 12:18 PM.
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Will you be carrying passengers in the back seat? If so, drag them along on your test drive(s) and see how well their legs fit in the back seat space. And remember, kids don't get smaller, they get bigger and the space gets more and more cramped. You can probably eliminate a few of your potential choices based on back seat leg room.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
          How'd you arrive at that list in the first place? Did you do some research on the computer?
          So far, I've based everything on what I read on forums and at auto review sites. I'll check out the library this weekend.

Originally posted by Miulang
          the Focus does have a lot of fans (lots of different models and options to choose from, easily customizable, great "first" car).

Miulang
          From the enthusiast boards I frequent, the Focus and Escape vehicles are pretty good, and a far cry from what I have at home.

Originally posted by SouthKona
          Will you be carrying passengers in the back seat?
          I'm looking more towards cargo capacity, than passenger comfort. If anything, I'll just carry the siblings to the beach or malls, but then that'll require the van (or truck).

I'm looking more towards the reliability factor, rather than price. I rather have a no frills model that will last me 10+ years, than getting a car that will break the budget and last me 3 years. Oh gosh, I forgot about the fuel economy. But I'm not worried about that because I'm light on the gas pedal, and I don't use the brakes that much either.
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Mazda 3 gets consistently positive reviews. Think about adding it to your list.

Why no Honda Civic? Also gets good reviews.

Why get an SUV? Do you have any need for an SUV? Just a thought. The Forester gets good reviews, and I love my Subaru Legacy.

Comment

Oh, and the Honda Fit is a nice car. I'm a little wary of the Jetta. VW seems to have reliability issues.

Comment

i vote for anything by toyota. after having a geo prizm (which was a toyota corolla, branded under geo) for 13 years (it didn't die, i just got tired of it!), i went out and got a vw passat. although they look and drive great, vws are a pain in the butt (and wallet) to maintain. with toyotas, i almost never had to take it to the shop. with my vw, which was 2 years old when i bought it, i was at the dealership about something at least once every 6 months, if not more. even now, after i got everything fixed after my initial purchase, little random things go wrong, which never happened to my geo/toyota. we're in the market for another car now and i'm looking at either the new rav4, the sienna or highlander. have you considered the scion xb? i thought they were stupid until i sat inside one--it is the most spacious, well-designed interior i have seen in a long time...and it's a toyota! my friend loves it. if it had the capacity to seat a couple more, i would've bought it by now. and it starts at only $13K!!

Comment

Working...
                X