Hawaii Ranks Low Again....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Ranks Low Again....

According to Forbes Hawaii is a poor place to do business.

This Forbes article is not surprising to me.It goes to show we really have our work cut out for ourselves still to improve the horrific business climate here in Hawaii.It appears that the "Peoples Republic of Hawaii" stigma still haunts Hawaii.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Re: Hawaii Ranks Low Again....

I wish I had experience running a business in another state, I always heard about how unfriendly Hawaii is to small businesses but have always wondered, how is it harder? I have had experience running my own place here in Hawaii, and it was hard, but when is it easy?
    What examples are there of what makes it harder to do business in Hawaii vs any other state? I know the part of paying taxes on the GET taxes were silly, some of the permits and things, the higher costs of retail space, and those kinds of things. How is business easier in other states?
    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Hardly surprising. I think it was Forbes himself that coined the "People's Republic of Hawaii" thing, nearly a decade ago. I don't dispute that we've got a poor business climate, but (1.) some folks obviously manage to make money hand over foot here, and (2.) Forbes must personally love skewering this state.

Comment

Forbes has been known to have vendettas before.. for example they have it in for Linux. Pretty much every article on the subject is as negative as can be, and they were practically rooting for SCO! (SCO was the wacky company from Utah who was trying to claim they owned large parts of Linux, sued IBM for a billion dollars over it, among other quixotic things.)

People say the same thing about Portland (bad for business) and yet somehow we have more thriving local businesses than most other places I've lived.

Comment

Is Hawai`i truly a poor business climate (usually due to un-business-friendly government structures and regulations), or just highly challenging (mostly due to location-related costs) when compared to the continental states? Or is the resident work-force a major factor?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
            Is Hawai`i truly a poor business climate (usually due to un-business-friendly government structures and regulations), or just highly challenging (mostly due to location-related costs) when compared to the continental states? Or is the resident work-force a major factor?
            I think it is a mix of all what is mentioned. But honestly, I think a large reason
            is the un-business friendly government structure and regulations here.
            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
            The Kona Blog

Comment

Yeah I read that and I feel it to be very true especially for small businesses. I'm a contractor and the rules and regulations here are a little over the top. Granted contractors rate right up there with used car salesmen, but in other places regulations are much simpler and monitoring of registered contractors allows the public and government to weed out the bad ones. You can't rip people off for long if thats your intention. Some other states have even worse business environments though. Interestingly quality of life is one of the areas where Hawaii rates low, most likely do to the educational system and high cost of housing.

Comment

Working...
              X