• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with an old car?

I have an old car.
    1990 Toyota Carmy 4DR Sedan
    It has about 126,000+ miles on it.
    It has some rust and holes.
    It has 4 new tires (less than 1000 miles on them).
    It runs well. It gets tuned up every year.
    The last 4 years it has been driven about 3000 miles or so.
    The AC doesn't work.
    The front passenger doesn't work too ... I think someone tried to break into it and broke it.

What should I do with it? I'm too lazy to sell it on my own mind you.

HT users usually come up with good solutions so I'll be waiting to read what is mentioned.
    just started: mililaniblog.com

Re: What to do with an old car?

I had a 1986 Astro van AC broke....
    New tires.
    Rusted.
    Speedometor broken, tap the glass to get the mileage working....you know.
    Gave it away for free! To a friend....

so I wouldn;t have to hassle selling it or anything. I told her to pay it foward!

It DIED 2 weeks later!

Wonder who is going to get paid now?
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Put it up for sale on Craigslist.com

Actually if you can afford the $183, send it via YB to Hilo where you can get double the value for it.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Lots of local charities have "donate your car" drives.

I'll never own a new car, and have driven more than a few oldies but goodies. I tried to donate my 1984 Nissan to HPR, but found they wanted you to jump through hoops to do it. It went to Kidney Cars instead. They were very nice. I have no idea if it helped with my taxes, but I actually used the free water bottle...

If you want to sell it, or get cash for it... even though it's 16 years old, I thought Toyota Camrys were still pretty popular, at least for parts. (I'm pretty sure someone tried to steal it too, John.) I'd bet it'd be worth your while to list, or at least park somewhere with a "For Sale" sign.
        Last edited by pzarquon; August 17, 2006, 12:31 PM.

Comment

i drive a 1992 camry station wagon with about 43,000 on it . Craig's right! in hilo i get offers for it all the time.
          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
          Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
            i drive a 1992 camry station wagon with about 43,000 on it . Craig's right! in hilo i get offers for it all the time.

43K miles is extremely low for 14 years - only 3K/year (250 miles/month). It may need to be taken on a long trip around the island to burn the carbon off the valves!

Comment

I have an '87 Chevy Nova (Glorified Toyota Corolla) that was given to me 3 years ago. I've just given it a second tune up and 4 new tires along with a few oil changes. It just now past the 60,000 mile mark and is a Great little car. Oh yeah, the A/C works fine too!

Now to the question. You can always donate a car to Kidney cars or a Church. Or put a sign in the window... "Free".
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

donate it to a charity and get the tax write off...i think 521-GIFT will even come and pick it up for you. i forget what charity they are.

Comment

I have a 88 honda with 2 new tires and 145000 miles, and its falling apart. Only Jesus and duct tape are keeping it running , wanna trade

What kinda monies you looking for it?
                  It doesn't take money to make someone smile for a little bit. All it takes is Aloha. ~ Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                    [...]I'll never own a new car, and have driven more than a few oldies but goodies.[...]
                    I haven't owned a new car since the 70s! Recently I traded up from a 1988 sedan to a 1995! As long as I get to keep my mechanic I'm a happy camper.

John...if you can wait long enough maybe you can get a few hundred buckaroonies from one of the influx of North Shore winter surfers. Otherwise, yep, donate it and get a write-off.

Comment

Originally posted by CranBeree
                      donate it to a charity and get the tax write off.
                      But remember that the rules have changed. Back in the day you could write off any kind of quasi-pseudo-reasonable amount, high Blue Book, whatever. As of the beginning of this year (as I recall), it was changed so that you can only write off the actual amount the charity received for selling the car. The number of cars being donated dropped dramatically, for obvious reasons.
                      If you're just looking for a way to get rid of a rustbucket clunker, donations aren't it anymore. Check with a tax accountant to be sure.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Thank you all for the replies. As usual they run the gamit. I enjoy all the sharing that goes on in the HT forums. I'll probably follow up with a post stating what I chose to do. That way we have some closure.
                        just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by jkpescador
                          Thank you all for the replies. As usual they run the gamit. I enjoy all the sharing that goes on in the HT forums. I'll probably follow up with a post stating what I chose to do. That way we have some closure.
                          I definitely will be needing some closure on this issue please
                          Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                          Sharing withother survivors...
                          www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by jkpescador
                            The front passenger doesn't work too ... I think someone tried to break into it and broke it.
                            I hate it when that happens. The front passenger breaks and you gotta ditch her and go try to find a new one. It's not so easy these days... I'm not into the club scene anymore...

Huh? What do you mean, that's not what he meant?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                              I hate it when that happens. The front passenger breaks and you gotta ditch her and go try to find a new one. It's not so easy these days... I'm not into the club scene anymore...

Huh? What do you mean, that's not what he meant?
                              Glad you said it, not me. (though I thought 'bout it)
                              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X