Statehood Day Holiday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statehood Day Holiday

Aside from the casual notices in the paper and on the local television news programs this morning about what offices/services are open/closed, has anyone seen anything remotely resembling a recognition that August 19 is the traditional date when statehood has been celebrated in the state?

I've seen virtually nothing for the past few years; I've concluded that our politicians have decided it's not worth talking about.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Re: Statehood Day Holiday

I didn't even realize today was a holiday until yesterday when a friend mentioned to me that she was taking off work.

Comment

Well, there is this. At least some politicians are trying to capitalize on it.

Comment

Considering that some folks don't think that Hawaiʻi is legitimately a part of the USA to begin with, I'm not surprised that many local politicians would rather not call attention to this particular holiday.

When (and why) did they stop calling it Admission Day and change to calling it Statehood Day, anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
          When (and why) did they stop calling it Admission Day and change to calling it Statehood Day, anyway?
          I HOPE it is because somebody in a position of power got sick and tired, like I have been all these years, of people mistakenly saying and writing "AdmissionS Day."

We were only admitted to the union once, people, AdmisSION -- one time, singular.

Wow ... that's both cathartic AND embarassing.

There are many more important things to get riled up about, after all.
          I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
            Considering that some folks don't think that Hawaiʻi is legitimately a part of the USA to begin with, I'm not surprised that many local politicians would rather not call attention to this particular holiday.

I wondered that too. Couldn't find anything easily, but I did learn that Sam Slom's SB News published an article about a celebration Small Bus Hawaii was planning for today. I wonder if it happened.

http://www.smallbusinesshawaii.com/2...hood-Day1.html

Comment

I suppose in 2009 when the state makes 50 years then some sort of celerbation is in order, but 47 years is not much a milestone kind of year, sure you do the cake and ice cream but the main course is a hamburger, not a T-bone steak.

Comment

Saw this proclamation from the Gov in the evening paper. On the Letters page. Excerpted.

Everyone is running away from it. I surmise that it's as Glen said: they don't want to annoy the sovereignty movement people.

Comment

KHNL reports that there was a (larger) counter-event at the Iolani Palace today. Curiously, the earlier post at my blog drew attention and comments from Kansas, Illinois, and Georgia. Veddy interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by poinographer
                    KHNL reports that there was a (larger) counter-event at the Iolani Palace today. Curiously, the earlier post at my blog drew attention and comments from Kansas, Illinois, and Georgia. Veddy interesting.

I saw the KHNL video, it seemed the sovereignty folks crashed Mr. Slom's
                    celebration of Hawaii's statehood. I'm nopt sure what's more offensive
                    A) Statehood day hasn't been celebrated for 6 years, allegedly due to
                    political correctness (i.e not wanting offend the sovereignty movement)
                    B)These sovereignty folks who crashed Mr. Slom's celebration.
                    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
                      I saw the KHNL video, it seemed the sovereignty folks crashed Mr. Slom's
                      celebration of Hawaii's statehood. I'm nopt sure what's more offensive
                      A) Statehood day hasn't been celebrated for 6 years, allegedly due to
                      political correctness (i.e not wanting offend the sovereignty movement)
                      B)These sovereignty folks who crashed Mr. Slom's celebration.
                      In this morning's StarBulletin http://starbulletin.com/2006/08/19/news/story01.html
                      Statehood celebration at palace gets heated
                      Protesters say the event was held at the "scene of a crime"
                      By Diana Leone

The event was organized by state Sen. Sam Slom (R, Hawaii Kai), who said the palace grounds were "exactly the right place because this is where statehood was declared" on Aug. 21, 1959.

"Several protesters said they were there because they found Slom's choice of the Iolani Palace grounds, viewed as the heart of the Hawaiian monarchy, as provocative and insulting."

"This is a sacred spot, which is the seat of our government," said Kekuni Blaisdell, a longtime Hawaiian sovereignty activist, of the importance of Iolani Palace."

"State Rep. Barbara Marumoto (R, Waialae-Kahala) wore a Statue of Liberty costume to the event, which she said she expected would be "lighthearted."

"Instead, she said, afterward, "I was very upset" at the behavior of the protesters. "They were directing a lot of their remarks at the students, and it was unseemly behavior to address it at the students."

K-den. My comment. Yes, Statehood was proclaimed at the Iolani Palace. However, Sovereignty has become an issue. It should not be taken lightly. Respect and care with the utmost regards is to be expected at all costs.

The students should have not been subject to any bashing. That was uncalled for!

Dressing up as Lady Liberty at Iolani Palace is asking for troubles. Duh?

Some people's children! Who gave her the idea? Hmmmmm....Rep. Bev Harbin!!!!!

Auntie pUpUle
                      Last edited by 1stwahine; August 19, 2006, 06:01 AM.
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

It's too bad that the band students were heckled, but it doesn't take a political genius to see that Senator Slom invited them to the event hoping that the children would serve as a prop/shield.

The fact that the band director agreed for the band to participate is somewhat surprising, until you consider that Kalani High School is in Senator Slom's district and school officials typically think that it's never a good idea to blow off a request from a legislator who is (t)asked to fight for your district appropriations...

Comment

Let's see.....the decision to become a State was a VOTE by the people....right??
                          And the majority of voters voted FOR Statehood....right?

Maybe the holiday should be called "Your Grandparents Were Idiots Day"

I wonder if the protesters go home and scream at Grandma and Grandpa because them old folks were so stupid in 1959?? I bet not.
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com
                          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I'm no expert on this topic, but the resentment over statehood actually goes back AT LEAST, to the annexation of Hawaii. (If not immediately post-contact -- when Kanaka Maoli started dying from all the diseases that outsiders brought here -- because Hawaiians had no immunity to those germs/viruses/etc.)

If I understand it correctly, annexation was NOT an issue approved by the majority of Hawaii residents -- if the choice was even offered at all ...

A little help here, please, from someone more knowledgeable?
                            I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
                              I'm no expert on this topic, but the resentment over statehood actually goes back AT LEAST, to the annexation of Hawaii. (If not immediately post-contact -- when Kanaka Maoli started dying from all the diseases that outsiders brought here -- because Hawaiians had no immunity to those germs/viruses/etc.)

If I understand it correctly, annexation was NOT an issue approved by the majority of Hawaii residents -- if the choice was even offered at all ...

A little help here, please, from someone more knowledgeable?

Thank you for bringing this up. In 1897, there were petitions circulated on all the islands and signed by the majority of Kanaka Maoli (and some non-KM) in protest of "Annexation". These 2 sets of petitions contained almost 38,000 signatures and were delivered to the US Congress.

Said "Annexation" treaty was then pulled from congress by President Cleveland and was not to be re-submitted. An independent sovereign state such as Kingdom of Hawaii was at that time, CANNOT be annexed to the US by any other method but treaty - thats according to the US Constitution. No "Treaty of Annexation" was ever passed by Congress or agreed to by both parties.

Now we move on to 1898 and the start of the Spanish American War. The US needed a refueling stop for troops & ships. Because there were not enough votes in the Senate to force a Treaty of Annexation through (that requires a 2/3's yea vote), the House of Representatives passed a bill sponsored by Rep. Newlands (I believe he was from Nevada), the Newlands Resolution, a public law which has no authority outside the continental US. This Newlands Resolution, which was passed by a simple majority (1 vote more than half) is the document used to "annex" the Kingdom of Hawaii, in complete violation of existing International law at that time. and in complete violation of the US Constitution. Also, in violation of ongoing & pre-existing Treaties of Non-Agression between the Kingdom and the US.

Was this so-called "Annexation" legal? Was it simply foisted on the population of Hawaii? You all will have to make up your own minds by either being open to possible new ideas or sticking with the same old stuff thats been spoon fed to all of us over the last 108 years.

if I have any of my facts incorrect, please do correct me. I'm basing my statements on what I've learned over the last 10 years, both as a docent at `Iolani Palace and taking the time and effort to educate myself.
                              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                              X