X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you afraid of needles?

Still to this day I can not watch a doctor give me a shot

Are you afraid of needles?

Researchers at the University of New Mexico's Health Sciences Center believe they have found a way to make patients less fearful of needles — decorate them with butterflies, flowers and smiley faces....
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060819/...orated_needles

I just don't think this is gonna work with Manoa!
    I can't bare the sight of getting poked (Yes I'm afraid)
    26.32%
    I take them no problem (Not afraid)
    68.42%
    I shoot myself up (Medical Reasons)
    5.26%

Re: Are you afraid of needles?

Maybe those researchers are trying to change the appearence of needles for the childrens sake...me personally I hate needles! If I have to get a shot or blood drawn, I'll look away till it's all over! My daughter on the other hand is a pro, she tells me "mommy it's okay, it'll only sting for a lil bit!" and she's only 6! My son who's 11 is another story, you mention a needle, and he's out of there !
    Live for today....tommorow is never promised

Comment

I have three tattoos I got early on as an adult and after I was done getting tattoos I decided that I wanted to donate blood regularly.

For some reason I still cringe when it's time to prick my finger tip, but I have no problem having the nurses and doctors stick that huge gauge needle in my arm!
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

No. But I'm afraid of that damn Camera and any instrument dat goes up dea!

HAHAHAHAHA

Autnie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Whoever invented the shot... should be shot.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
            Still to this day I can not watch a doctor give me a shot

Are you afraid of needles?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060819/...orated_needles

I just don't think this is gonna work with Manoa!
            I gotta wonder about this. I'm thinking that the kids who are stuck with decorated needles might come to associate lovely things, such as butterflies, with pain.

Kids, even little ones, pick up on clues so quickly. My field is not pediatrics but I worked in a burn unit in NY which treated all age groups and even the toddlers would start crying when they saw the dressing change supplies come out. I doubt if a smiley face, butterfly, or puppy decoration would have fooled them. Seems like a cruel bait-and-switch.

As for myself and needles, I can give 'em a lot easier than I can take 'em. They HURT.

Comment

Now that I thought about it, its been a while since I got my blood drawn or anything that requires "deep" piercing of the skin. I think I'm still afraid of needles (I fainted at the sight of a huge version back in third grade, but that was for surgery), but I'm glad that I don't have to interact with them yearly.
              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I'm not afraid of needles or being on the receiving end of a shot but I can't bear to watch a shot being given to me or anyone else. I always look away.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
                  and even the toddlers would start crying when they saw the dressing change supplies come out. I doubt if a smiley face, butterfly, or puppy decoration would have fooled them.
                  Wow !! This description affected me. I'm so sappy. OR could it be that I would also start crying if my burn dressing was about to be changed?

When I was around ten years old, Dr. Moo, my Ear, Nose & Throat doctor, gave me a couple of shots EVERY Saturday . . . one in each shoulder. While his office was on Pauahi, above a shoe store, I had to ride my bike up the hill to Maluhia Hospital to get the shots.

Maybe the bike ride diverted my mind, but I never had a second thought about getting shot then (or since). Even the big needle for giving blood doesn't faze me.

Auntie Lynn, admit it now: it's more the gas than that thing that goes up your butt that's uncomfortable. During my sigmoidoscopies, they kept shooting air (and spraying water) to make sure they see everything . . . and you almost continually passed gas to keep from feeling bloated. Aaah, I see you agree with me.
                  Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by Palama Kid
                    Auntie Lynn, admit it now: it's more the gas than that thing that goes up your butt that's uncomfortable. During my sigmoidoscopies, they kept shooting air (and spraying water) to make sure they see everything . . . and you almost continually passed gas to keep from feeling bloated. Aaah, I see you agree with me.
                    hahahahaha.

Yes, the gas was quite uncomfortable but I was very embar"ass"ed of having one bruddah from Waianae as the Technician looking at my Okole and the insides.

No matter now. We know each other for the Colonscopy on Wednesday when the doctor go IN again!

On a serious note. If you're reaching 50 yrs. old or having stomach problems ~ please get yourself check and request to have a "sigmoidoscopy." It can SAVE your Life as it did mine!!!

Auntie Lynn
                    Last edited by 1stwahine; August 20, 2006, 06:09 AM.
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Been to the dentist a number of times lately. I can't see the needles for the anesthetic but that doesn't matter. I can feel it. Ack, I'd do almost any amount of flossing they request of me at this point just to avoid that!

Comment

Originally posted by Bard
                        Been to the dentist a number of times lately. I can't see the needles for the anesthetic but that doesn't matter. I can feel it. Ack, I'd do almost any amount of flossing they request of me at this point just to avoid that!
                        Maybe I'm just lucky to have a dentist whose novacaine shots are relatively painless. There is an art to administering those shots and he is an artist! I don't even dread the rare root canal.

Comment

I used to be afraid of shots...actually afraid is not the word....I would actually pass out or lay on the floor tossing my cookies!!

(When I got my eyebrow pierced it was downright scary)

Then I got pregnant!! YEAH....Try 2 pregnancies! That will cure your shot fears in about 6 visits!!

The funny thing is...before I had kids I was in the nursing field and gave shots every day! but when it came to getting them it was different!
                          Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                          Sharing withother survivors...
                          www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle
                            The funny thing is...before I had kids I was in the nursing field and gave shots every day! but when it came to getting them it was different!
                            Eh, no big ting. Here's one way to think about it: you're a sadist, not a masochist. Juss accept it.
                            Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by Palama Kid
                              Eh, no big ting. Here's one way to think about it: you're a sadist, not a masochist. Juss accept it.
                              This my friend may be true! I learned something new today!
                              Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                              Sharing withother survivors...
                              www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Working...
                              X