Book stores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book stores

Herrou, anyone know of book stores that carry used and out of print books, even some collectors books on Oahu?

I'm actually looking for some nice leather bound books.

I may actually have to resort to buying from the mainland, but would rather shop locally.

TIA!

Re: Book stores

Haven't seen a shop that carries really old used books, not since the Book Cellar closed in downtown Honolulu.

In the Sixties, when I was living in London, I put a tiny classified ad in a nationally-distributed newspaper saying I was interested in acquiring pre-1800 books. A woman wrote to me saying I could have her late husband's collection just for paying the shipping costs. Boxes and boxes of books, most of them junk but beautifully bound in leather. A few of them valuable enough to sell at an auction house.

Not the kind of bonanza one is likely to find in Honolulu, alas.

Comment

I agree. Seems that Hawaii wouldn't be a place to find such books. But one can hope, no?

Comment

Well, adunno if u like hele alla way to Hilo.... still yet.. try ovah heah:

Dey also sell on eBay... great sellahs, great service...
        Aloha,
        Mokihana

Comment

I know the people at Kohala Bookshops, but I wasn't sure whether they had a website or not, so I searched. Found this list, which ain't much. Kohala has no website, but I did find this little blurb:
          Hawaii's largest used book store with over 25,000 books! Choose from Hawaiiana, Oceania, rare books, history, biography, nature, children's and more. Open Tuesday thru Saturday 11am to 5pm.

They're on that beautiful road going north to Hawi.
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Thanks for the info Mokihana and Linkmeister.

Comment

Try http://www.kohalabooks.com

Comment

Interesting, not that it's going to be any help with old books, how the Ala Moana Center bookstore suddenly became a "Borders Express".

Comment

Originally posted by BKHale2007
                  That's great! Thanks!

Comment

Speaking of book stores, does anyone else wonder how the Kahala Mall Waldenbooks stays in business when there is a B&N upstairs????

Try half.com, like ebay but with fixed prices and no need wait for the auction to end. Unfortunately there's nothing like wandering into a dusty used bookstore and finding that book you never thought you'd find on the shelves(this happened to me last December when I went to Rainbow near UH and found Richard Rapson's Fairly Lucky You Live Hawaii , a dated but unusually even-handed sociological essay on life in contemporary (circa 1980) Hawai'i. I had been looking for that book for 10 years. Rainbow is good for more recent stuff, but not too many fine bindings. Too bad the Book Cellar and Sandwich Islands Books closed. Is Tusitala still in Kailua?

For the ultimate used bookstore experience, you can't beat Moe's on Telegraph Ave. in Berkeley. Beats anything in Hawai'i and NYC. I'm looking forward to making a pilgrimage next month. Last time I went I shipped 3 boxes of books home...

Comment

Aunty: The Walden's you speak of is now Border's Express. I think they survived because they were "in" the mall and Barnes & Noble is "outside" of the covered area. I've not been in to any of the Border's Express stores. I think the bookstores plan where to get the most out of the customer so no one "loses". Thanks for the info on the used bookstore in Berkeley...I leave tomorrow for N CA. and always like to look for the bargains...outlet type stores.
                      Retired Senior Member

Comment

Originally posted by Mocha
                        Aunty: The Walden's you speak of is now Border's Express. I think they survived because they were "in" the mall and Barnes & Noble is "outside" of the covered area. I've not been in to any of the Border's Express stores. I think the bookstores plan where to get the most out of the customer so no one "loses". Thanks for the info on the used bookstore in Berkeley...I leave tomorrow for N CA. and always like to look for the bargains...outlet type stores.
                        Ho, I knew it, da peepo stay too freckin lazy fo' walk outside...

Comment

Originally posted by AuntieNellieKulolo
                          Ho, I knew it, da peepo stay too freckin lazy fo' walk outside...
                          Auntie, you wen' look at the thermometer? A/C good, for shuah!

Comment

Originally posted by AuntieNellieKulolo
                            ... there's nothing like wandering into a dusty used bookstore and finding that book you never thought you'd find on the shelves...

Miss da ol days;
                            Tusitala in Kailua, and there was a really well stocked large bookstore on Ke ay ay ay ay ahhhhmoku (as granny Goose usta say). can't remember the name but was on the D.H side and had a great selection of my fave subject, Hawaiiana, Oceania, Polynesianiana...

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                              Miss da ol days;
                              Tusitala in Kailua, and there was a really well stocked large bookstore on Ke ay ay ay ay ahhhhmoku (as granny Goose usta say). can't remember the name but was on the D.H side and had a great selection of my fave subject, Hawaiiana, Oceania, Polynesianiana...
                              Yesyesyes...Tusitala was great! I spent many hours in that cramped upstairs attic, just looking for random books. I found many wonderful tomes there. Sad to see they arent around anymore. Although I must admit that I liked that place better back when it was called "Alexander's Pizza"

I haven't had much time lately, so I dont know if this still holds true, but I used to find lots of great old and wierd books (as well as records) in the Salvation Army/Goodwill/Savers stores. And it's hard to beat the annual book sale at McKinley High, as well!
                              Last edited by melorama; September 29, 2004, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X