Little Miss Sunshine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Miss Sunshine

The wife and I got out last night and saw "Little Miss Sunshine." Steve Carell, Toni Collette, Greg Kinnear, Alan Arkin, Paul Dano, and little Abigail Breslin. The very definition of a "quirky comedy" about a spectacularly dysfunctional yet somehow familiar family. It ain't no blockbuster crowd-pleasing schmaltz fest, but for those with the right outlook? I haven't laughed so hard in a theater in a long time.

We loved it. Newcomer Breslin, who plays Olive, was just too precious. And Steve Carrell better get an Oscar nod for his performance in this picture. Here are some reviews, most quite positive!

Not like we see many movies in theaters, but of those we have seen, this is definitely one of our favorites. For now, at least, it's not playing in many places, and I suspect it won't be playing for long. So you can probably save "Snakes on a Plane" for now and catch this gem instead, like we did!

Re: Little Miss Sunshine

Caught an early afternoon showing this past week. So, of course, makule audience - most of whom applauded upon conclusion. After recently seeing Pirates and Superman, I didn't need to see any more technical film magic; I saw film magic, anyway.
    Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
      Steve Carrell better get an Oscar nod for his performance in this picture.
      You have GOT to be kidding! Yeah, Steve Carrell, right up there with Russell Crowe, Al Pacino, Lionel Barrymore and Gregory Peck.

Comment

Very, very good movie. It was probably one of the best movies I've seen a quite a while. I really like Greg Kinnear and Steve Carrell is hilarious. They should definitely get something out of this movie.

The Newcomer Breslin, who plays Olive
        Is she considered a "newcomer"? She was the little girl in Signs and Raising Helen and other small roles:

IMDB: Abigail Breslin

-Arturo

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
          You have GOT to be kidding! Yeah, Steve Carrell, right up there with Russell Crowe, Al Pacino, Lionel Barrymore and Gregory Peck.
          Nope. No kidding, MadAzza. Carrell's performance is outstanding. His acting talent, not his comedic abilities, is what you'll get when you see this movie. Go see for yourself and tell me you don't agree.

He'll probably never acquire the dramatic acting history of Crowe, Pacino, Barrymore and Peck, but not many do. Give him time, though. You never know. He could turn out to be another Bill Murray / Tom Hanks. Well, he could !!!
          Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by Palama Kid
            Nope. No kidding, MadAzza. Carrell's performance is outstanding. His acting talent, not his comedic abilities, is what you'll get when you see this movie. Go see for yourself and tell me you don't agree.

He'll probably never acquire the dramatic acting history of Crowe, Pacino, Barrymore and Peck, but not many do. Give him time, though. You never know. He could turn out to be another Bill Murray / Tom Hanks. Well, he could !!!
            After I posted that, I remembered the trajectory of Greg Kinnear's career. 15 years ago I wouldn't have believed that he could turn in an Oscar nomination-worthy performance, either, but then he was in ... damn, what was it? That movie where he played a gay man. Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt were in it. I'm too lazy to look it up. Anyway, he was so good in that, it really surprised me.

Anything is possible.

Comment

I know where you're coming from, MadAzza, but indeed, Carell does something special here. Okay, so maybe he's not seasoned enough to garner Oscar nominations, and for all I know his next few movies will be like especially bad "Saturday Night Live" skits. But this movie definitely shows he's got it in him, and given enough time and the right roles, he just might earn a skeptic's respect.

I just hope he keeps doing what he does well and excels, rather than suddenly go shamelessly fishing for Oscar-pandering stuff like Jim Carrey did.

Thanks, arturo, for pointing out where we'd seen "Olive" before. I wasn't a fan of "Signs," so didn't remember she was in it. She's just precious in this film. Right down to the final dance number. Oh dear god.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                That movie where he played a gay man. Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt were in it. I'm too lazy to look it up. Anyway, he was so good in that, it really surprised me.

Anything is possible.
                I think the movie was "As Good As It Gets"... the one were the gay dude gets beat up and Jack N ends up taking care of the dog and then him right?

Comment

I know where you're coming from, MadAzza, but indeed, Carell does something special here. Okay, so maybe he's not seasoned enough to garner Oscar nominations, and for all I know his next few movies will be like especially bad "Saturday Night Live" skits. But this movie definitely shows he's got it in him, and given enough time and the right roles, he just might earn a skeptic's respect.
                  My husband and I caught a showing yesterday and said the same thing about his performance. Carell definitely has potential.

I just hope he keeps doing what he does well and excels, rather than suddenly go shamelessly fishing for Oscar-pandering stuff like Jim Carrey did.
                  Word. Robin Williams, too.

There are about a dozen reasons why I shouldn't have liked Little Miss Sunshine - namely the predictability and the cliches - but I laughed my butt off and even got a little teary during a few scenes. This film was elevated by great performances and a lot of charm. Definitely one of the best films I've seen this summer.

Comment

Working...
                  X