Laulau minus Ti leaf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laulau minus Ti leaf?

I've been trying to figure out how to cook Laulau for a while. I've gotten a few recipes online but there's one problem- can't find ti leaves. Saw online that you can substitute with banana leaves, but here in Indiana it's hard to find a banana trees.

Does anybody know anything else that I can use to substite for ti leaves?

Kaipo
    "Dont put of 'til tomorrow what you can forget about completely!!!"

Re: Laulau minus Ti leaf?

You need the ti leaf because it imparts flavor. In your shoes, I would check out one of those online Hawaii based florists (and for the cheapest, make sure that the company is located in Puna on the Big Isle) and ask if they can send you some bulk ti leafs, not of the floral arranging variety, and you can most likely bargain for a cost break. Once you get the leaves sent to you: debone, coil them up, place in a ziploc and keep it in the freezer until you are ready to make laulau. Good luck!

pax

Comment

That makes sense!!! Thanks! I'm google'ing florists right now!!!

Comment

You can usually find frozen banana leaves in Latin markets. Gourmet markets may have them too. Also available online:

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/pDetail.asp?p=616

Comment

Luau leaves online:

http://www.1stluau.com/alacarte.html

Comment

as far as using banana leaves, that, along with ti leaves, impart that kalua flavor into kalua pig. For the "in your oven" method:

-big roaster pan
            -put inside one or two pork butts. Slice deeply and nail it with Hawaiian salt.
            -pour some liquid smoke over all of it (not too much; follow directions)
            -put three ti leaves over the roasts, then one or two banana leaves on top of that. Buy them from an online florist. Then tinfoil it all up.
            -bake for a good couple of hours @ 350º; if you have two butts in there, 3.5 hrs is good. You want it really roasted, not merely baked.

Shred and let it cool before bagging up to put in the freezer.

pax

Comment

You guys are awesome!!!! I am ordering the luau leaves and ti leaves once I get home (I'm at work getting hungry right now thinking about it!!!).

Kinda funny not being able to just run to the neighbors house and grab Ti leaves.

I think I might order a couple extra and teach my son how to make ti leaf leis!!!

Comment

same recipe but wrap the pork butt with taro leaves and tie them up with string, "Tent" the pan with foil and broil away.

The result is a tender pork butt with a surrounding layer of sweet taro leaves...serve cut into slices like meatloaf. Oh so ono!!
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                  same recipe but wrap the pork butt with taro leaves and tie them up with string, "Tent" the pan with foil and broil away.

The result is a tender pork butt with a surrounding layer of sweet taro leaves...serve cut into slices like meatloaf. Oh so ono!!
                  ah da infamous laulau cassarole recipe....

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o

ah da infamous laulau cassarole recipe....
                    And if you like feed one army, try check out Uncle Charlie's 50 lb. Bumbucha Laulau.

I was fortunate enough to be present when Uncle Charlie Maxwell brought one of these infamous laulaus to a party in Kahalu'u, Oahu (were you there tutusue?) where we had gathered to celebrate the life and passing of Braddah IZ back in '97. The laulau was brok' da mout' ono.

Comment

LOL....

...Bettah den poi, bettah den pig...

Man, that lau lau in almost obscenely large!!! I would've had to take a picture of it if I saw it in person!!!

Comment

Laulau are subject to the same flavor rules as Kalua Pig when it comes to the use of Ti leaves. Similar to what Pua'i mentioned, you NEED the Ti leaves to impart that special "luau" flavor. If no moa', forget it. Neither would I attempt making it with Spinach instead of genuine Luau (Taro) leaves.

My sister in Missouri tried once making oven Kalua Pig without Ti Leaves and said it just wasn't the same. Tasted basically like pulled pork. She's also tried banana leaves and wasn't happy with the results either.

Also like Pua'i mentioned, she now stores Ti Leaves in her freezer, which keeps perfectly for use in making Kalua Pig whenever the time for that "MO Luau" arrives. I'm sure this would work equally as well with Laulau since they're steamed.

Speaking of Laulau, we just entertained some mainland guests the other weekend with a backyard luau. We ordered the Laulau from Ono Hawaiian Foods on Kapahulu. OMG! They were $5 each and worth every single bite! So massive, you could split one with 2 or 3 people... and whoooah da' buttah fish juss' melt on da' tongue. Broke da' mout!
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                        X