I need help ID'ing a song from "Dog"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help ID'ing a song from "Dog"

A friend of mine asked if I might happen to know the title of a song that has been getting occasional airplay on the television show "Dog the Bounty Hunter". I told him that I don't watch that series, but if he could give me as many details about the song, and what episode it was played in, I'd pass the information on to the members here in Hawaii Threads and see if one of you, perhaps, might be able to identify the song.

Based on what I've been told, the song sounds like it is probably a KPOA -style Jawaiian song; it has what he describes as a reggae hip-hop beat to it, fused with local Hawaiian touches. The point of the episode from where my friend remembers it from is the time where evidently Dog and Beth are finally getting married. The song is not part of their actual wedding ceremony, but rather, it is part of the soundtrack to the show..one of those songs added on, post-filming, for dramatic flair or artistic license. It is played at the precise moment of their wedding ceremony in the episode. This particular song has been played on other "Dog" episodes, on maybe two to three other occasions, each time in the background of those episodes as well. My friend could find no reference to the song in the credits; he claimed he looked, but he couldn't find any information regarding it.

I realize that this may be tough to identify with just the clues I've given you, but I'm hopeful that somebody...perhaps somebody with a great knowledge of the local island sounds and music, like, for instance, our own Leo Lakio...might potentially know the title of this song. I thank you all in advance for your time and efforts.

Re: I need help ID'ing a song from "Dog"

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
    A friend of mine asked if I might happen to know the title of a song that has been getting occasional airplay on the television show "Dog the Bounty Hunter". I told him that I don't watch that series, but if he could give me as many details about the song, and what episode it was played in, I'd pass the information on to the members here in Hawaii Threads and see if one of you, perhaps, might be able to identify the song.

Based on what I've been told, the song sounds like it is probably a KPOA -style Jawaiian song; it has what he describes as a reggae hip-hop beat to it, fused with local Hawaiian touches. The point of the episode from where my friend remembers it from is the time where evidently Dog and Beth are finally getting married. The song is not part of their actual wedding ceremony, but rather, it is part of the soundtrack to the show..one of those songs added on, post-filming, for dramatic flair or artistic license. It is played at the precise moment of their wedding ceremony in the episode. This particular song has been played on other "Dog" episodes, on maybe two to three other occasions, each time in the background of those episodes as well. My friend could find no reference to the song in the credits; he claimed he looked, but he couldn't find any information regarding it.

I realize that this may be tough to identify with just the clues I've given you, but I'm hopeful that somebody...perhaps somebody with a great knowledge of the local island sounds and music, like, for instance, our own Leo Lakio...might potentially know the title of this song. I thank you all in advance for your time and efforts.
    LOL---I certainly can't claim any great knowledge of such things but I did record the episode.

I fast-forwarded to the wedding scene and was a little confused when I heard Gabby singing "Hi'ilawe" right after they said their vows. Jawaiian??
    Then the mix started.

The song was indeed "Hi'ilawe," with a bit of Gabby at the beginning, then the rest of it went reggae. By "Sudden Rush," from the CD "EA" on Quiet Storm Records.

It was in the credits but flashed by so quickly I had to rewind and pause to get the info .

I looked around online for the CD but it seems to be either out of print or out of stock. Here's a review with an audio sample of the song:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../il/il11a.html
    Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; August 23, 2006, 01:55 PM. Reason: Found some more info.

Comment

Normally I'd cry murder when it comes butchering classic songs, but Sudden Rush's take on Hi`ilawe is commendable.
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

WindwardOahuRN, your kokua in ID'ing this song is going to make a fellow plowboy over here a very happy one! This farming compatriot of mine fell in love with the song and has been trying to find the title of it since he first heard it. Hopefully, he'll now be able to find a copy of the CD you made refrence to or perhaps the track itself online somewhere.

Mahalo nui loa for taking the time to investigate this and replying back!

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko
          Normally I'd cry murder when it comes butchering classic songs, but Sudden Rush's take on Hi`ilawe is commendable.
          I was fortunate to meet "Sudden Rush" a couple of years ago when they performed at an event at `Iolani Palace grounds. It was the 110th anniversary of the Overthrow. During the march through downtown, the group was at the front, carrying the flag. They showed up at 7AM and stayed the whole day - just hanging out with all of us til their time to perform. One of the guys chased around getting my copy of the CD autographed for me. This group is such a great bunch of guys - very nice & humble. My daughter was very surprised that I have 2 of their albums. I think they are great!
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

By the time I saw this thread, the answer was already out there - nice job, WORN.

Not only does Sudden Rush do such a respectful tribute to Gabby with their version of "Hi`ilawe" (for which they got permission from the family), but the album also has a nice revision of Jon & Randy's "Hawaiian Eyes," which honors great Hawaiian musicians who are no longer with us. Amy Hanaiali`i Gilliom, Fiji and Willie K also guest-star on the disc.

If this album really is out-of-print, that's sad - it's a great one. Quiet Storm in Kane`ohe was handling the distribution; check with them to see if it's still available.

Comment

Here is more music from the DOG.
              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
              Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
                Mahalo nui loa for taking the time to investigate this and replying back!
                You're welcome. It was fun

Comment

Something I was thinking to myself during today's 13 mile training run for the marathon in December:

The fellow farmer who wanted to know the title of the now identified Hi'ilawe song is a typical Rhode Islander. He was born in Rhode Island and he is hellbent on dying in it as well. He is what one calls around here a "townie"....the local term for kama'aina. His idea of paradise is not Hawai'i by any stretch of his imagination...his idea of paradise is week in the summer out on Cape Cod and "The Islands" (Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard) or skiing in the winter up in Vermont.

Though he has nothing against Hawai'i', in fact he thinks it sounds like a beautiful place..and the pictures he has seen of it has made him declare that it looks gorgeous..the likelihood of him ever setting foot in the islands, I can state with total confidance, are pretty remote. To be honest, I think he has a better chance of visiting Mars before he visits Hawai'i.

I must admit though, that it is refreshing that a local New Englander who really doesn't know a whole lot about Hawai'i, other than what he was taught in school, and has never experienced the joys of Hawai'i first-hand and in person, has taken an interest and liking to some local island music. Without question, he can directly thank "Dog the Bounty Hunter" for his newly acquired taste in music.

Inasmuch as many members in here do not approve of the "message" the show is sending to those uninformed about Hawai'i...like I said I don't personally watch the show, and I myself don't know a whole lot about it...I have read many of the negative comments about it in HT "Dog" threads. Despite this, it evidently does have some redeeming values about it. In the case of my friend, it has exposed him to what is a fresh and new genre of music to him..perhaps through his viewing of "Dog", he one day will become a big fan of the sounds of Hawai'i. And that's got to be good news to those who are concerned about the preservation of Hawaiian music and whether it will be relevent in the years to come. A new fan of island sounds, in spite of "Dog" itself.

Comment

Working...
                  X