Racial Stereotyping and Food!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racial Stereotyping and Food!

I asked permission from HT's own Paul Ogata to post what he had written up on his myspace blog... since he's in California now and not actively participating in HT...

This is harsh...and kinda funny.
    (TMHG= Tweaker Meth Head Girl)
    Paul Ogata:

I was on the receiving end of some of the strangest racism ever.

The other day I walked into an ice cream shop. (Because I love ice cream, and because they hate it when you tunnel up into their shop.) For the sake of protecting the identity of the store, let's just call it "Cold's Tonec Reamery". After all, it wasn't the company I had a run-in with, but the girl behind the counter.

Ice cream is my weakness. I'll give you an example: let's say for some reason I ate an entire horse, and was full to the point where my burps smelled like saddle. I'd be like, "uuuuuuuuurp!" And you would say, "Ew what the crap is that rancid smell?" And I'd be all, "My friend Flicka." Then a hoof would fall out of my mouth. And my stomach was so stretched out that you could hear the skin going, "kkkkkkkkkkkkkkk." I would still eat a bowl of ice cream if it was near. Then I'd explode. That's how much I love ice cream.

So I get to the "Reamery" and attempted to order some vanilla ice cream. Here's my exchange with the tweaker meth-head girl behind the counter.

TMHG: Yes?
    Me: Yeah, I need a small vanilla ice cream please.
    TMHG: No.
    Me: What?
    TMHG: No.
    Me: Yes.
    TMHG: No. I'm not serving you ice cream.
    Me: Okay...? What, are you out of vanilla?
    TMHG: Asians are lactose intolerant.
    Me: Not me.*
    TMHG: No, all Asians are.
    Me: WTF? I'm not lactose intolerant. *but*, you're making me crack ho intolerant. Just give me a small cup of vanilla ice cream.
    TMHG: I'm not going to be responsible for that.

What I said next should not be repeated in a public forum such as MySpace, because kids read this **** you know?

Anyway, to make a long story longer, I told her I hoped her pierced eyelid, which was infected, got worse and it made her *Privates* fall off. Then I vowed to turn her in to the Cold's Tonec Reamery management. So if the President of the Reamery is reading, she's the tweaker meth-head girl with the infected pierced eyelid. And I should have taken her picture to send to management because, as you know, all Asians have camera equipment on them.
    For the Un-edited version: http://www.myspace.com/paulogata
    "Cross posted w/ permission from Paul."

Manoa again:

I think that sucks that this happened to him on the mainland... I don't think an event like this would have ever happened here in Hawaii!
    Last edited by damontucker; August 23, 2006, 07:46 PM. Reason: By P.O.s request and now scrivs advice

Re: Racial Stereotyping and Food!

I can't believe that actually happened at all.
    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
      Then you don't know him!!! A lot of his stand up comedy is based upon his real life experiences.
      Last edited by damontucker; August 23, 2006, 05:51 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

That is so not cool.

I cannot believe we still live in a society that tolerates that.

But I cannot say I have not seen it. I am disgusted by it.
        Since when is psycho a bad thing??
        Sharing withother survivors...
        www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

My stand-up material is based largely on real-life events. Something will happen to me, or someone I know, and I'll serve it up on stage with two scoops of exaggeration with side order of shibai.

But that was actually said to me. And I do love ice cream. What didn't really happen is my response to the girl. It was one of those moments that had me scratching my head, puzzled. "Was that racism or just misplaced concern?" I was actually speechless, which doesn't happen often.

BTW, you must try the ice cream at the shop in Aina Haina. I can't remember the name of the ice cream shop, but you can't miss it. They serve Roselani (?) ice cream from Maui. Mmmmmm... brok da mout. Anybody want to mail me some?

One more thing: sorry about the language. On my MySpace blog, I tend to let the raw thoughts out sans editing. But for some reason I feel HT is not really a place for that, even though MySpace has waaaay more kids on it. Hey, Manoa, you think you can edit out the s-word, the b-word and the v-word? (Thanks for catching the f-bomb.)

Comment

Hey look, it's Paul Ogata actively participating in HT...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ogata
              My stand-up material is based largely on real-life events. Something will happen to me, or someone I know, and I'll serve it up on stage with two scoops of exaggeration with side order of shibai.

But that was actually said to me. And I do love ice cream. What didn't really happen is my response to the girl. It was one of those moments that had me scratching my head, puzzled. "Was that racism or just misplaced concern?" I was actually speechless, which doesn't happen often.

BTW, you must try the ice cream at the shop in Aina Haina. I can't remember the name of the ice cream shop, but you can't miss it. They serve Roselani (?) ice cream from Maui. Mmmmmm... brok da mout. Anybody want to mail me some?

One more thing: sorry about the language. On my MySpace blog, I tend to let the raw thoughts out sans editing. But for some reason I feel HT is not really a place for that, even though MySpace has waaaay more kids on it. Hey, Manoa, you think you can edit out the s-word, the b-word and the v-word? (Thanks for catching the f-bomb.)
              Hey you said I could cut and paste!

Get off myspace and come home to HT!

You were here before there!!!! (well at least Cali)

kidding... Glad your career has taken off!

Manoa

Comment

Changing a four-letter word from its nominal form to its past-tense verbal form is not exactly softening the blow...that's like turning f*ck to f*cked...
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                  Changing a four-letter word from its nominal form to its past-tense verbal form is not exactly softening the blow...that's like turning f*ck to f*cked...
                  I'll try my best to edit again...sigh!

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
                    Seems awfully extreme.

And I thought having the cafeteria ladies at the hospital automatically go for the mashed potato pan instead of the rice pan when they served me was cruel...

Comment

to keep this topic on subject....

I often have heard that "all Hawaiians" eat rice with every meal.

That is simply not true...

Correct me if I'm wrong...but wasn't rice imported here originally?
                      Last edited by damontucker; August 23, 2006, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Man,

Sorry to hear that she actually DID say that...yikes. That being said...my fiancee is from Taiwan, and she said , that before she came to the US, she never ate cheese (maybe she tried it, but it just wasn't part of the diet). Of course now she does.

But who the heck started that rumor about all Asians being lactose intolerant?
                        You should have told her you were "stupid people intolerant" instead, and then asked for another server to get your ice cream.

BTW...feel free to use that in your act :-)

Hey, are you doing your bit in LA any time soon ?

I may have to stop in and catch the act.
                        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                          to keep this topic on subject....

I thought it was the Filipinos?

We all know that all Filipino families have 10+ cup rice cookers and buy the 20 lb. bags that's either a) stacked up against the icebox or b) stored in that bin that neatly dispenses rice according to which cup amount you press.
                          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                          We're not here to mess around
                          Boston, you know we love you madly
                          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                          You know we couldn't live without you
                          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                            Nope. All Hawaiians eat poi. And if you're Hawaiian and you don't eat poi, then something's wrong with you.

Most Hawaii residents, however, eat rice with every meal.

Not all. But most of them.

And I'll say it again, just to be clear: Just because you live in Hawaii, it doesn't mean you're Hawaiian.

Comment

Nope. All Hawaiians eat poi.
                              sorry not true

Comment

Working...
                              X