Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pluto loses status as a planet

Source

About 2,500 experts were in Prague for the International Astronomical Union's (IAU) general assembly.

The scientists rejected a proposal that would have retained Pluto as a planet and brought three other objects into the cosmic club.

Pluto has been considered a planet since its discovery in 1930 by the American Clyde Tombaugh.

The ninth planet will now effectively be airbrushed out of school and university textbooks.

"The eight planets are Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune," said the IAU resolution, which was passed following a week of stormy debate.
    *says* My Very Educated Mother, Just Served Us Nine.... we need a new rhyme.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Pluto loses status as a planet

To da rest of da World, Pluto still remains a Planet.

By the orders of The Lemureans!!!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

It's been fun tracking this story. Certainly astronomers have much weightier issues to tackle, but it's the whole Pluto thing that got 'em in the news the last couple of weeks. Demoting pluto to a "dwarf planet," I guess, makes more sense than the earlier proposal, which promoted several other objects (and giving us 12 planets instead).

I wonder if the "Pluto-hater" at Hayden Planetarium in New York feels a bit vindicated, now? The place was inundated with "hate-mail from third graders" when its exhibit demoted Pluto five years ago.

I guess that "Blue's Clues" song that my kids' memorized to name the planets will have to be edited a bit!

Comment

It sure is a good thing all those scientist got to gether for a HUGE conference and figured it all out for us!!!
        Thanks Heavens for that!!!
        Since when is psycho a bad thing??
        Sharing withother survivors...
        www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

So what about the astrologers? That just threw them into a major quandry as the Zodiac is now somewhat different?

And what of other definitions that use the root word "Planet" such as Planetary gears that are found in transmissions and other gear reduction applications?
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
            So what about the astrologers? That just threw them into a major quandry as the Zodiac is now somewhat different?

And what of other definitions that use the root word "Planet" such as Planetary gears that are found in transmissions and other gear reduction applications?
            Yeah what the heck are those scientist doing??? I didn't even think of that!
            Good point!
            Since when is psycho a bad thing??
            Sharing withother survivors...
            www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

(from the blog of radio station KEXP-FM/Seattle)

The Top 5 Things That Are Wrong With Changing Our Solar System So There Would Now Be 12 Planets Instead of Nine.
              1. Everyone knows God made 9 planets in 7 days right?* He made Pluto and Mars as a two-fer in one day and then created Uranus in his free time.* I said he created URANUS in his free time.* Uranus.* Get it?* Oh man, that never gets old.* Anyway, the whole 9 planets in 7 days is in the bible.* Look it up.*
              2. Everyone KNOWS Pluto is weak.* Dude is so far away no one can see it.* Its as cold as North Dakota but ALL the time and its tiny.* Its like the size of Delaware.* Please.* But now they want to make one of its moons a planet?!* A MOON of Pluto is now a planet?!* Hello?* What about OUR moon?!* You know, the one America owns?* Why don't we stick to home okay?* If we don't, the terrorists have won...the terrorists on Pluto.
              3. One planet that would be included is "2003 UB313, the farthest-known object in the solar system and nicknamed Xena".* Wait.* We might have a planet named Xena Warrior Princess?* Damn, sign me up for that.* But seriously, let's just bump Pluto for Xena.* If the two were to fight, Xena would kick Pluto's ass.* Even with Daffy and Goofy's help Pluto would go down.
              4. Pluto's largest moon, Charon; and the asteroid Ceres, which was a planet in the 1800s before it was demoted would be a planet.* So Ceres was all up in the planet grill and got the boot in the 1800s and you want it back?!* Who says Ceres wants back in?* Maybe Ceres found a galaxy that would accept it a little more then the Milky Way.* Maybe like the Snickers Galaxy or the 100,000 Dollar Bar Galaxy.
              5. "If the resolution is approved, the 12 planets in our solar system listed in order of their proximity to the sun would be Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Ceres, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto, Charon, and the provisionally named 2003 UB313. Its discoverer, Michael Brown of the California Institute of Technology, nicknamed it Xena after the warrior princess of TV fame, but it likely would be rechristened something else later, the panel said."* Oh man!* They really were going to name it after Xena Warrior Princess!* Man, you put a bunch of geeky scientists together and this is what you get.* I'm sure the runners up were "Spock" "Neo" and "Chewbacca".* Actually a planet named after the greatest wookie EVER would be supersweet.* They'd probably screw it up and call it a ewok or jarjarbinks or something.* Losers.*

Comment

Well they can get their own conference and decide what to do. By the way the Zodiac itself hasn't changed since it's a collection of stars not planets. While they may change their readings based on which planets crosses which sign of the Zodiac but the base set of the Zodiac hasn't change by this.

Also if one thinks about it, a planet like Pluto is not visible to the naked eye so how did astrologers cope before 1930?

The other thing that I just realized is what is going to define the boundary of our solar system. Having Pluto as a planet and it's orbit to mark it sounds nice and neat, now that Pluto is not a planet do we use the orbit of Neptune as the boundary (which makes it smaller) or do expand it further?

Comment

Nothing more sad than a lost dog. Oh where oh where has my little Pluto gone oh where oh where can he be...

So I guess Xena becomes a homeless goddess of a planet as well right? Just like her TV series...now Lost in Space.

You know if Xena was never found I bet this whole issue of Pluto would not have come up at all.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                    Also if one thinks about it, a planet like Pluto is not visible to the naked eye so how did astrologers cope before 1930?

The other thing that I just realized is what is going to define the boundary of our solar system. Having Pluto as a planet and it's orbit to mark it sounds nice and neat, now that Pluto is not a planet do we use the orbit of Neptune as the boundary (which makes it smaller) or do expand it further?
                    Since astrology goes back aways, I don't believe Pluto is listed as having any influence whatsoever.

And many astronomers consider the solar system to extend out as far as eight billion miles, which is beyond Pluto's orbit, and certainly farther than Helen's rockets have flown (to date.) Voyager 1 reached this point (solar termination shock) in late 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
                      My Very Educated Mother, Just Served Us Nine.... we need a new rhyme.
                      My Very Experimental Mother Just Supplied Ultimate Narcotics?
                      myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Originally posted by kupomog
                        My Very Experimental Mother Just Supplied Ultimate Narcotics?
                        Whoosh...that one went right over my head

Comment

My astrological sign is supposedly ruled by the planet Pluto.

So what now? I'm free?

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
                            My astrological sign is supposedly ruled by the planet Pluto.

So what now? I'm free?
                            Well if Pluto never existed as a planet then I guess technically you don't exist either at least as a Human

Comment

Well if Pluto never existed as a planet then I guess technically you don't exist either at least as a Human
                              Oh well. It was good while it lasted...

Comment

Working...
                              X