Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Local ag being shut out of Mainland markets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local ag being shut out of Mainland markets?

There is a very serious threat looming in the near future for the local growers of exotic fruits who are trying to find markets for their goods on the Mainland.

The USDA is in the process of evaluating a petition by Thailand to enable Thai fruits like pineapple, mangosteen, rambutan, etc. to be directly exported to Mainland markets.

Regulators say that they're required by the International Plant Protection Convention, an international treaty, to entertain Thailand's request to export fruit to the United States. Under the treaty, the U.S. plant inspection service says it can't base its decision on economic concerns. Instead, its actions must be based solely on issues pertaining to health and safety risks, such as whether Thailand's plan would adequately keep pests out of the United States.

But Hawaii farmers say that the rule would hurt pineapple growers and be patently unfair to local producers of exotic fruits, such as mangosteen, who are not allowed to export their products to the mainland because of plant inspection service rules. The value of sales of Hawaii tropical specialty fruits hit a record $2.7 million last year, according to the USDA.

Finally, there is the issue of protecting Hawaii and the mainland from invasive species, which the Hawaii contingent says the proposed rule fails to address.
    The really stupid part of the USDA rules is that in an effort to be "neutral", they can't take into consideration that Hawai'i growers want the same deal but have been unable to get the same consideration as Thailand.

What the hecuba is going on? Isn't Hawai'i a State of the Union? Why SHOULDN'T the USDA give Hawai'i preference over any foreign country to allow Hawai'i growers to help sustain its economy through the production of fruits for export? Seems like the "free traders" are only looking at what a deal like this will do for THEM, and certainly not thinking about what's good for small businesses in their own country.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Local ag being shut out of Mainland markets?

The reason why this is a dicey issue is because most fruit grown in Hawaii
    cannot be shipped to the mainland without treatment. This because we
    have four different kinds of fruit fly here.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

And we all know that there are many who despise irradiation as a means of being competative.

Plus those treaties are put in place to balance trade deficits that have hurt other tangable goods either being imported or exported from the United States.

Irradiation is everywhere...it's called electromagnetic radiation and everything electrical or electronic puts it out from your digital watch to wifi internet hotspots. Heck even the sun puts out enough radiation to burn your skin.

If we are to compete with foreign markets we need to adapt. If not well I guess we'll be eating Thai fruit or nothing at all.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I remember there was a huge brouhaha when they planned to build an irradiator
        near Hilo Airport a long time ago. They are planning on building an irradiator
        near Honolulu Int'l Airport and usual suspects are protesting it now.

There is a possible solution, and Keaau is on the forefront :

http://www.hawaiipride.com/mainhome.html

Papaya, Sweet Potato and exotic tropical fruits grown in Hawaii are now available in the mainland United States because of Hawaii Pride. We are the first facility in the world to use ordinary electricity to treat fruits to meet APHIS regulations for export from Hawaii. Our Electronic Irradiation system is the same system used on chicken and beef to make food safe, reducing harmful food-borne pathogens. Our process is environmentally friendly and eliminates the need for chemical treatments. Nutrition and vitamin content remain intact.

Here is an interesting link about the prohibition of Hawaii's fruit unless treated

http://www.hawaiipride.com/whywetreat.html
        Last edited by Konaguy; August 25, 2006, 07:22 PM.
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Frankly, I'd rather eat irradiated fruit than GMO varieties of fruit! And if Hawai'i fruits have to be irradiated, I sure hope the FDA is going to demand the same type of treatment for Thai fruits, I mean in the interest of "fairness" .

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The very essence of this thread highlights liberal cognitive dissonance at its finest.

"We want to sell our fruit. We want to be environmentalists. So we choose to export fruit flies in an effort to limit radiation."

The mind of a liberal.........scary.
            FutureNewsNetwork.com
            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
              The very essence of this thread highlights liberal cognitive dissonance at its finest.

"We want to sell our fruit. We want to be environmentalists. So we choose to export fruit flies in an effort to limit radiation."

The mind of a liberal.........scary.
              Um, Tim? It's not liberal cognitive dissonance. The choice is either irradiation or GMO. Neither choice is ideal, but irradiation is less deleterious in the long run than mutant fruits and vegetables.

Miulang

Comment

I'm no fan of irradiation using Gamma radiation. I believe that was
                what was proposed for Hilo in the past and Honolulu currently. I was
                doing some research and it uses radioactive materials Link .

On the other hand Hawaii Pride LLC uses electron beam irradiation,
                which far less harmful. But more importantly treated fruiy by the
                process can be shipped to the mainland.
                The Kona Blog

Comment

I don't understand why GMO is considered so much more harmful. We've been genetically modifying organisms for thousands of years -- it's called domestication, and it's why we have farm animals and crop plants.

As for food irradiation, you've got two different issues: (1) is irradiated food safe to eat? (yes) and (2) what about safety and environmental issues at the food processing end? (they're taken care of)

Most of the time I lean left, but the left has a few hot-button issues that apparently shut off people's brains, and genetic engineering and nuclear energy are among them.

The right has different hot-button issues: sex and religion, usually.

Comment

If I recall correctly, the issue about building an irradiation plant on the B.I. was the concern of having such a facility in the Pana'ewa forest (near the zoo), which is zone 4 (highest earthquake potential). It wasn't based on the hippies worrying about eating their papaya. Building a plant on an isle with a low earthquake/volcanic (well, natural disaster) threat might be the better route to go.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                      If I recall correctly, the issue about building an irradiation plant on the B.I. was the concern of having such a facility in the Pana'ewa forest (near the zoo), which is zone 4 (highest earthquake potential). It wasn't based on the hippies worrying about eating their papaya. Building a plant on an isle with a low earthquake/volcanic (well, natural disaster) threat might be the better route to go.
                      I recall it was proposed to be built by Hilo Int'l Airport, the gamma ray irradiator.
                      But in reality its not needed, as Hawaii Pride has come on to scene.
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

yep, defribulate those guavas and ship em out, bebe!

pax

Comment

Working...
                        X