Gas Station Car-Washes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Station Car-Washes

I was already spending twenty-five to thirty bucks a week to top the tank off, so another six bucks for a quick run through the car wash didn't seem like much, especially when it's not really my car and I want to be able to return it on a moment's notice if someone should need it. The weekly drive through the spray kept the car looking nice and made me feel pretty good driving it, so it got to be part of the wekend routine I looked forward to.

However, the station I frequented (a Chevron on Waiakamilo I was employed at sixteen years ago) closed shop recently, and now it's been three weeks since my last wash.

I know there are two stations with drive-through car-washes over near Pearl Kai, which isn't too far from where I work, and I believe there's one in Kahala, but are there others? Kahala's a bit out of my normal stomping grounds lately, and the afterschool traffic toward Pearl Kai is almost as distasteful as the love-notes the birds leave on my vehicle. I'd appreciate it if you could turn me on to other spots, if they're around. Domo.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Gas Station Car-Washes

Um. McKinley Car Wash.

And the competitor that opened up shop next door.

Oh, and Chevron in Kailua has an automated car wash.

Comment

Isn't McKinley Car Wash like twenty bucks for a wash? I need something I can just zip through and not pay a fortune for.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
        Isn't McKinley Car Wash like twenty bucks for a wash? I need something I can just zip through and not pay a fortune for.
        My husband is free....I will be loaning him out on Fridays!
        Since when is psycho a bad thing??
        Sharing withother survivors...
        www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

There's one next to Kaiulani School on N. King Street - near Tamashiro Market. If you put Gas in your tank there's a discount too. You have a choice for Regular Wash, Regular Wash with Wax and Super Deluxe. You press the numbers in the machine and sit in your car while your vehicle gets cleaned.

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

The former Don's Makiki Service on Keeaumoku and Beretania. With a credit card, you select the level of service on the gas pump after you're done with re-fueling.

Comment

That's right! I knew there was one on King, but I was looking the other way...that's perfect. Even closer to home than the Waiakamilo one.
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Is there any cheap ones on the leeward side?

I knew there's a reason why I hate the color white.
                How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

wow, another chevron closed? the one on nuuanu closed too.
                  Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

They were both owned by Richard Awakuni. I asked a cashier at Waiakamilo what the deal was (on several consecutive weekends, there was no Diet Pepsi in the cooler, and I had to complain) and she said something about the lease being taken over by the parent company. At least, that was my interpretation -- she seemed a little fuzzy on the subject. She might have been the one who wrote the "store close" signs that hang in the glass doors at Waiakamilo.
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                      They were both owned by Richard Awakuni. I asked a cashier at Waiakamilo what the deal was (on several consecutive weekends, there was no Diet Pepsi in the cooler, and I had to complain) and she said something about the lease being taken over by the parent company. At least, that was my interpretation -- she seemed a little fuzzy on the subject. She might have been the one who wrote the "store close" signs that hang in the glass doors at Waiakamilo.
                      Is that the same Richard Awakuni that used to own the Service Station where Tesoro is located now? The one across Palama Settlement on Vineyard Blvd. He and his brothers owned that Service Station many years. They also had a towing business too.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                        Is that the same Richard Awakuni that used to own the Service Station where Tesoro is located now? The one across Palama Settlement on Vineyard Blvd. He and his brothers owned that Service Station many years. They also had a towing business too.

Auntie Lynn
                        I remember the Chevron station on Beretania and Kalakaua that was owned by Richard Awakuni. By the mid-90s, he closed it down and used the site for his seasonal Christmas tree business.

The station on Vineyard was TOGUCHI'S - TOW-GUCHI for the towing side.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                          I have fond memories of that gas station as I'd pass by it every day on my way to St. Theresa School each morning.

And I remember that old Chevron on the corner of Liliha and School Sts. Before it closed it was one of the few places you could get Full Service. That old Filipino tata was my favorite. We'd get a calendar from them every year for Christmas!

I didn't know Waiakamilo closed! I'd frequent there as well everytime I was too lazy to wash my car.

Great thread...now I know where to go!
                          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                          We're not here to mess around
                          Boston, you know we love you madly
                          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                          You know we couldn't live without you
                          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific
                            I remember the Chevron station on Beretania and Kalakaua that was owned by Richard Awakuni. By the mid-90s, he closed it down and used the site for his seasonal Christmas tree business.

The station on Vineyard was TOGUCHI'S - TOW-GUCHI for the towing side.
                            My Bad. Sorry. I remember the Chevron by School and Liliha also. I go eat at Uptown Fountain alot.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko
                              And I remember that old Chevron on the corner of Liliha and School Sts. Before it closed it was one of the few places you could get Full Service.
                              That was Lance Goya's Chevron. He got out of pumping gas and moved a block further down School Street, where he now runs a repairs-only business instead.

Burt's Union 76, on School at Houghtailing, still offers full service in Kalihi.

Comment

Working...
                              X