You call it "Mainlandization" , we call it "Gentrification"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You call it "Mainlandization" , we call it "Gentrification"

This is a very interesting article in the LA weekly about real estate and low rent neighborhoods becoming "hip" and now low income people have to move. I know alot of people complain about the "gentrification" of alot of LA's more "risky" neighborhoods....this seems similar to some discussion about "Mainlandization", and is further proof that this kind of thing is happeneing everywhere...

http://www.laweekly.com/general/feat...on-city/14285/
    Last edited by tikiyaki; August 27, 2006, 04:45 PM.
    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Re: You call it "Mainlandization" , we call it "Gentrification"

Interesting article. You could replace "LA" with "Portland" or "Seattle" or just about any other major city in the US right now, and it wouldn't be far off. Well, except for all those district names not having much meaning in other places

Comment

Originally posted by Bard View Post
      Interesting article. You could replace "LA" with "Portland" or "Seattle" or just about any other major city in the US right now, and it wouldn't be far off. Well, except for all those district names not having much meaning in other places
      There is a stretch of old apartment buildings on Kailua Road that is slated to be demolished and replaced with high-end condos in the next few years.

All residents have to be out by September 2007:

http://starbulletin.com/2006/01/20/b...s/story01.html

Comment

Darwin would be fascinated by the irony between human population growth, and human induced pressure to restrict the supply of housing.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
          Darwin would be fascinated by the irony between human population growth, and human induced pressure to restrict the supply of housing.
          Never mind Charles Darwin; Thomas Malthus is the guy who'd really be interested.

Comment

I don't know where all those people who are living in the Kailua Road apartments are going to find housing.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...601200360.html

The buildings are in terrible shape. Kaneohe Ranch must have had this plan for a while---I've noticed that there seems to have been almost no maintenance done there for at least three or four years.

Comment

Glen, Ever read "The Worldly Philosophers" ??

Damn Good Book.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                This is a very interesting article in the LA weekly about real estate and low rent neighborhoods becoming "hip" and now low income people have to move. I know alot of people complain about the "gentrification" of alot of LA's more "risky" neighborhoods....this seems similar to some discussion about "Mainlandization", and is further proof that this kind of thing is happeneing everywhere...

http://www.laweekly.com/general/feat...on-city/14285/
                I just call it as it is...progress gone mad
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Glen, Ever read "The Worldly Philosophers"?? Damn Good Book.
                  No, I haven't. But I'll keep it in mind; thanks.

Comment

I read some of that article.

EPA, under pressure from environmental concerns for the last 15 years, has enacted laws that prohibit the use of gang cesspools, and mandate improvements to sewer treatment facilities. I think these laws are good. Water supply is important.

Of course, this costs money, which the poor folk don't have. So by their actions, the environmentalists are pinching on the lowest economic strata of our economy. For an explanation, please refer to my signature.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

That's awesome Tim. No longer will another post appear without your two favorite buzzwords in it

(Not trying to pass judgement on then one way or another, I just think it's funny...)

Comment

Hey Bard, I was reprimanded recently for repeating things over and over.

Until I saw that it's okay to do that in the signature section.

I can learn. But I think I will change it from time to time, as suiting my mood.
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

EPA, under pressure from environmental concerns for the last 15 years, has enacted laws that prohibit the use of gang cesspools, and mandate improvements to sewer treatment facilities. I think these laws are good. Water supply is important.

Of course, this costs money, which the poor folk don't have. So by their actions, the environmentalists are pinching on the lowest economic strata of our economy. For an explanation, please refer to my signature.
                          If I recall Kapoho Vacationland falls in this category. Which is strange cause you can't touch any of the waterfront properties for less than a cool mill and a half.
                          You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Working...
                          X