No announcement yet.

My deepest apologies to every member here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: i know i havent been a good member only i'll change my ways.

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
    i sent you a pm only asking about your username/meaning
    My understanding is the following:
    nisei = 2nd generation Japanese
    sansei = 3rd generation Japanese
    shisei = 4th generation
    etc.

My best friend in high school in California was nisei and proud of it.

Question for my friend SANSEI on this Forum......do Japanese in Hawaii have open house on New Years day with all that great Japanese home cooking? It was the custom in California.

Ofa 'Atu
    Mui Houma
    Last edited by matapule; May 2, 2008, 07:01 PM. Reason: change spelling
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I think this is the internet...and a forum...run by an admin team that if so choose, would ban you so you could NOT post, bu that is not the case...

I am clueless to what you might have posted to warrant the repetitive apology threads, but I like your sincerity.

If you were not welcome here, you would not be able to log on. Take a deep breath, sit back, and realize that the WWW doesn't dislike you.

Or is this the hawaiithreads confessional booth?
      flickr

An email from God:
      To: People of Earth
      Date: 9/04/2007
      Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
      God

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
        My understanding is the following:
        nisei = 2nd generation Japanese
        sansei = 3rd generation Japanese
        shisei = 4th generation
        etc.

My best friend in high school in California was nisei and proud of it.

Question for my friend SANSEI on this Forum......do Japanese in Hawaii have open house on New Years day with all that great Japanese home cooking? It was the custom in California.

Ofa 'Atu
        Mui Houma
        just call me shisei. i'm fourth generation but don't know much of the language.
        "chaos reigns within.
        reflect, repent and reboot.
        order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

That would be yonsei.

That would be yonsei, not shisei. There are two words for "four," and yon is usually preferred because shi is a homophone for the word that means "death."
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Re: That would be yonsei.

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
            That would be yonsei, not shisei. There are two words for "four," and yon is usually preferred because shi is a homophone for the word that means "death."
            It's a little more complex than that, I'm afraid. "Shi" would be the "on" reading of the character, and "yon" would be the "kun" reading. It generally depends on usage (or context) as to which reading is used. Generally speaking "shi" and "yon" are interchangeable (like when counting 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6...). However when specific counters are involved, it gets more complicated ("shigatsu" is April - the fourth month - it's never "yongatsu" --- while other counters use the base "yon" - "yonhiki" - four animals - it's never "shihiki").

I vaguely recall there being loose rules on how to come up with when and where to use "shi" or "yon" but the memories are foggy. I just chose to go the rote memorization route.

Oh, and then there's "nana" or "shichi." Another ball of wax there... but I digress...

Comment

That would be yonsei, not shisei.
              Right you are! Thanks for the correction.
              yonsei = 4th generation
              shisei = 5th generation

At least that was the way it was used by Japanese in California. Now can someone point me to an open house on New Years day with Japanese home cooking? I will bring appetite and sushi rice.

Malo 'aupito
              Mui Houma

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
                It's a little more complex than that, I'm afraid. "Shi" would be the "on" reading of the character, and "yon" would be the "kun" reading. It generally depends on usage (or context) as to which reading is used. Generally speaking "shi" and "yon" are interchangeable (like when counting 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6...). However when specific counters are involved, it gets more complicated ("shigatsu" is April - the fourth month - it's never "yongatsu" --- while other counters use the base "yon" - "yonhiki" - four animals - it's never "shihiki").

I vaguely recall there being loose rules on how to come up with when and where to use "shi" or "yon" but the memories are foggy. I just chose to go the rote memorization route.
                Yes, it does get tricky (different counting words for flat objects vs. round objects and so on), but the in case Scrivener brought up, it's definitely "yon." (The AF, fluent in Nihongo, is yonsei.)

Comment

back stroke: i'm going to retract my statement from my previous post and say, "just call me yonsei."
                  Last edited by kani-lehua; May 3, 2008, 11:46 AM.
                  "chaos reigns within.
                  order shall return."

Comment

sei what you will

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                    back stroke: i'm going to retract my statement from my previous post and say, "just call me yonsei."
                    Accepted. Isn't it wild to see where this thread has gone, from its original point?

Comment

Re: sei what you will

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      Accepted. Isn't it wild to see where this thread has gone, from its original point?
                      Probably for the best.

Ofa 'atu
                      Mui Houma

Comment

ae (yes).

'auhea wale ana 'oe e (or is it o) Sansei? (Sansei, where are? Where are you, Sansei?)

getting back to the original post: Sansei, "i know many may not wish for me to Pm or Em them so i'll refrain from this until someone may wish to let me PM Or Em them if it's ok with them."

my thoughts to you are, refrain no longer. pm or em me, it's no big deal!
                        "chaos reigns within.
                        order shall return."

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post

Oh, and then there's "nana" or "shichi." Another ball of wax there... but I digress...
                          dude, i forgot you were fluent. reading your last post made me think of the karaoke bar in waikiki. and drinking whiskey.

Comment

Yeah, especially after admin merged it from the 2nd one created in the general area to the original Sansei created in this area. I'll keep monitoring this, but I almost feel like moving it again.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Re: my deepest apologies to every member here

hi this is sansei and in response to kani-leahua,if the Pm's or Em's are ok which would mean we pm or em in a kind way,i'd accept and if not,i would still respond to your reply in either your Pm's or Em's and not offensive type's as i've had in the past,not here other place's.i think people here are kind and since im sort of new to this board,im still in my learning to post better and be a good member and in response to mel,im the original sansei and i know since joining you know of me and i think the people of This Board are cool.

Well thank's for your time:O)

Comment

Re: my deepest apologies to every member here

we know that there is one and only one sansei. i believe mel was talking about your original post/thread.

pm or em away!

amen
                                "chaos reigns within.
                                order shall return."

Comment

Working...
                                X