Social Groups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social Groups

As HawaiiThreads.com is periodically upgraded, we've seen a few "community" features pop up (many now organized, naturally, a new "Community" navigation bar link). Stuff like "Contacts & Friends," and "Tags & Photo Albums." I'm learning along with you all on how these features work (or don't).

One feature many of you are using already are "Social Groups." You can connect with other Twitter users, other photographers who hate to be photographed, and other people who like ice cream. A group can have its own discussion (albeit with 1,000-character blurbs at a time), and have its own icon. Like your friends, groups are displayed on your user profile.

Use this thread to discuss the "Social Groups" feature, and to announce any new groups you've started. Have fun!

Re: Social Groups

Okay, I braved it and learned how to create a social group.

'Sailors, Boaters, and Yachties' is born!
    http://www.hawaiithreads.com/group.php?groupid=8
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post

'Sailors, Boaters, and Yachties'
      http://www.hawaiithreads.com/group.php?groupid=8
      The above group is listed as 'public'. ^

What are the steps to take, in order to join a social group...
      1) that's listed as public?
      20 that's listed as private?

Comment

When you enter a group there is a button/drop down menu labeled "Group Tools" (it is on the same line as "Social Group Discussions"). If you select that button there is an option in it called "Subscribe to this group".

As far as public vs moderated vs Invite only, right now all the 8 groups are public, it seems that you don't have to join the group to read the messages that are there, but you need to join them if you wish to leave a message in that social group.

So far no one has attempted to create a moderated or Invite only social group so I can't tell you anything based on my experiences.

What I do know so far is that when you post to a social group your post count does not change nor does the postings appear if someone tries to see all your post view from your profile.

I need to correct myself here. When you click on "Subscribe to this group" what it does is to display that group under a section called "Subscribe Socail Groups" when you view your User CP.

As far as to join a group that option ("Join Group") is there when you enter a group that you are not part off. If you are part of a social group then option "Leave Group" is there. This options are displayed towards the bottom of the selected Social Group.

I did create an invite only group called "hawaii-test" as a test for that type of group.

Comment

I wasn't even aware of social groups until today!

Comment

It's been around since May (or April) of 2008. I am also kind of wondering if Guest can see stuff in the Social Groups or not?

Comment

Re: Contacts & Friends

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
              Like "Social Groups," it's like another nook or cranny for interaction to take place... where I would imagine some folks would prefer choosing simply between a thread or a private message for interaction.
              Yeah, I was wondering about that. I don't see the difference between a Social Group and/or simply posting a thread on HT. I joined the Sailors/Boaters/Yachties social group, but would prefer any boating-related discussions to go in the regular Players Place section of HT.
              If there's some difference or advantage to social groups, I can't see it.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I tried using HawaiiThreads as a guest and while it was no surprise that I could read the notes in the public social groups I was able to read the notes in the invite only social group.

Comment

Do social groups have a "New/Latest" or subscription feature?

When I check HawaiiThreads.com's main forums I click on the New/Latest link. Whatever threads have new posts will show on screens of 25 at a time.

What about social groups? Does vBulletin have a link that can show what new posts have been put up in social groups, or is there any way to subscribe to a social group so that you can be notified when a new post has gone up?
                  Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                  Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                  We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                  Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Re: Contacts & Friends

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    Yeah, I was wondering about that. I don't see the difference between a Social Group and/or simply posting a thread on HT. I joined the Sailors/Boaters/Yachties social group, but would prefer any boating-related discussions to go in the regular Players Place section of HT.
                    If there's some difference or advantage to social groups, I can't see it.
                    I use social groups on another vBulletin board to set up an invitation-only gathering of that board's military veterans for a discussion of a topic that would otherwise typically be trashed by trolls. It's a subset of the board's general purpose but it's a discussion of special interest to vets and their families. If I tried to do it via a public thread, at the very least there'd be accusations of violating the board's policy of advertising.

It's a way to moderate the membership without being a moderator.

The only "drawback" of vBulletin's social groups, if that's even the right word for it, is that it's difficult to tell when new posts have gone up or when a new (invited) member has joined. I end up checking it every day or two because I can't subscribe to the new posts or have it show up on a summary.
                    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Comment

I am basing the following on actual experience as opposed to looking this stuff up but it seems with the release of 3.8.0 of vBulletin you subscribe to discussions on Social Groups as well as the Social Group. You need to check it via the User CP to see changes in it.

Also when you enter Social Groups it will list out the group you have join, the ones that have new messages seem to have a bolder shade.

What I did do was to change the status of hawaii-test from an invite only group to a public group. My suggestion then is to post a thing or two to hawaii-test and see how things work out there.

Comment

Ah, the other board is still using v3.7.4. Social groups look completely different here. Much better.

Any problems or surprises with the upgrade? This seems like a good reason to upgrade to 3.8.0, but not if it drove the admins (or users) nuts.

Comment

I just checked in on the boaters social group and saw a discussion posted a while ago. So do owners and subscribers get any notification that something is posted in the particular social group? Or do we just have to check in on it to know?

Thanks for your time...

Comment

To my knowledge there is no notification of new postings to the social groups, however if you check your User CP it will show the latest entry in each of the social groups that do exist.

Comment

Working...
                            X