X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sophielynette
    replied
    Re: HawaiiThreads 5th Birthday Picnic at Hawaii Geek Meet - April 19

Oh you're -that- Jim! Oh man, I'm horrible with names, if you'd been holding up a little picture of your avatar I totally would have remembered you. I wish I'd realized, I would have loved to talk photo.

Fun party. Good times. I'm sunburnt and sleepy. Big thanks to everyone who helped out.

Leave a comment:

• Jim75
    replied

Two more. The last one is Aunty Lynn and PK. Aunty Lynn, I have some other ones for you and PK, but I haven't got them processed yet. I believe this one is with the flash.

Leave a comment:

• Jim75
    replied

Still more

Leave a comment:

• Jim75
    replied

More from the GeekMeet.

Leave a comment:

• Jim75
    replied

I went to the GeekMeet today. The weather was perfect - sunny, warm Hawaii. Amazingly this was the first time I'd been to Ala Moana Park or Magic Island. Super nice. Lots of families and picnics and parties. I met a lot of people. I'd name names, but I don't want to risk forgetting anyone. When I got there Menehune Man took several of us including Brian (LocalMotion) and his girlfriend Stacia on a geocaching demonstration. Then I met Ryan and he pointed out Aunty Lynn. Aunty Lynn took me around and introduced me to many HT'ers. Thanks Lynn. I much appreciated your friendliness. I sat down and ate while talking to Seeking Penance and met Aunty Lynn's daughter, Granddaughter and Husband PK. There was a ton of good food. Everyone was very friendly and the vibe was easy and relaxed. I was going to take a bunch of individual shots, but in the end I didn't want to make anyone uncomfortable with the camera. So here are some quick snapshots I took on auto, with a little sharpening and cropping, just to give an idea of what was going on in general. Beautiful time. I'm glad I went.

Aunty Lynn and Seeking Penance.

These guys were turning that box of Altoids into a time machine.

The gentleman on the left was providing views of the sun's solar activity.

Leave a comment:

• leashlaws
    replied

I am so glad you all had a great time! Thanks for the pictures! I was committed to going to the Tagami & Powell art show to support a friend
    who was exhibiting. It was a great time. Sometime I sure hope to meet
    you all! It was fun to read about the event yesterday in the paper.

Leave a comment:

• Menehune Man
    replied

What a terrific time!
    I totally enjoyed myself and definitely won't be needing dinner either.
    Loved catching up with old friends, putting faces to screen names, being adopted by a bunch of kids, and...

Setting up

Our group taken while returning from a Geocache hunt. I lead a few today.

Thanks for a Great day!!!

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

The gathering is still going now. Still got food and there is over 50 people now.

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

I am at the Geek Meet now, WiFi service provided by Jeff (from Twitter). There is over 30 people here.

Leave a comment:

• AbsolutChaos
    replied

Unfortunately it's highly unlikely that I'll make it after all. Sad to be missing such a diverse celebration!

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

Hey, Jim! Would be great to see you!

For the potluck, we've got a lot of the basics (chili and rice, chicken, pizza), some vegetarian dishes, I'll be bringing sodas and juice and two folks are bringing bottled water... I'd say our weekest departments are snacks (chips, finger foods) and maybe dessert.

Begins at 10 a.m., runs 'til 3 p.m., officially, but we didn't clean up and clear out 'til near sunset last year. Whew!

There is parking at Magic Island, but it can fill up. Lots of people tend to park at Ala Moana Center and walk over.

Being photographed? I'm counting on it! There should be several photo geeks there!

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

The permit coverage for picnic area #39 is for 9am to 4pm with a start time of the event at 10am.

As far what to bring, maybe canned soda or bottled water would be the safe bet.
    Last edited by helen; April 18, 2009, 09:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jim75
    replied

I'll try to drop in for a while. Couple of questions:

- what would be something to bring that we maybe don't already have?

- when will this begin and end approximately?

- is parking at Magic Island easy to get? or do you need to get there early?

Be prepared to be photographed. Ha!

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

That was unexpected, and awesome! I just heard from a teacher of mine at Mililani High School (I was her student in the summer of 1990), and she says she may stop by!

Also joining us for a bit will be Roz Savage. If you haven't heard her story, you should visit her site. She's an amazing person.

Pali of Lava.Net came through with our pizza, so I think alongside Zippy's and Therapy Sports Bar (Koko Marina) we'll have plenty to eat, adding in the contributions brought by others.

Helen, will you be bringing napkins and plastic utensils too?

All we need now is good weather. I see it may be cloudy and grey tomorrow... but I hope we'll still keep dry!

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

Hey, here's a nice story in today's Advertiser about Ryan and the Geek Meet!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X