X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walkoff Balk
    replied
    Re: Left v. Right on HT

I'm not a Trump supporter. I'm not a Biden supporter. I'm an athletic supporter.

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rage-peop...154219007.html

A little bit louder now. A little bit louder now.

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Halle-f**king-lujah!

I should have placed money on FM being the one who shows, by putting it in different words, that he gets my point:

Labels only matter if you let them.

You can apply them to yourself, if you like, or you can allow others to apply them to you, or you can apply them higgledy-piggledy - but they don't have to mean a damn thing, because (as I said in the post that launched the thread) individual perception is the key.

(Aaron was headed in the right direction when he asked who appointed me judge, jury & executioner - but he derailed himself with his anger.)

Now, your homework assignment is to go watch Kurosawa's "Rashomon." Then write your essays on how the perception of (so-called) truth varies, based on upon the unique circumstances of the interpreter - yet each truth can still be valid.

Leave a comment:

• Frankie's Market
    replied

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
    I think its a bit unfair to characterize myself strictly a right leaning individual. Yes I do have some right leaning views, but I also have views that could be characterized as moderate.
    Originally posted by matapule View Post
    Here is the problem with what you say. The moderate or centrist view as been moved way to the right of center with the Presidency of Reagan and continuing since. Your "moderate" views of today would have been far to the right of Goldwater at that time. You may characterize your views as "moderate" but that may not be how others perceive them.
    Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    I did say: ...tend to fall more often to the right side of the spectrum to one degree or another.

Going back over your posts (as well as your blog), I stand by my assessment as stated.
    Nothing like reading it from the horse's mouth. So I took some time out to check out Ryan's Kona Blog and assess his views on development and examining the politicians he's supporting at both the county and state level.

Far right of Goldwater?

Ohh-kay. Whatever.

All of which only reinforces my earlier stated view on how utterly worthless political spectrum labels are,... particularly with the way certain people in this forum applies these labels.

I don't think I've had as hearty a laugh reading an HT post since I was classified as a "bleeding heart liberal." Hmmm, I wonder how many other bleeding heart liberals made it a point to shine the light on judges for being soft when it comes to criminal sentencing?

Leave a comment:

• salmoned
    replied

Are you saying it's healthy to dig a hole, jump in and bury yourself? Sure, it's healthy for me if you do so - one less cancerous corpuscle with which to contend. [No personal offense intended or complementary obligation to praise or condemn my malignant hyperbole] No waffling now, you dig it, jump in and ... relish in the glory of your own soil - how patriotic. Nothing could be healthier.

Yahoo or hooRAH!

[Classified ad: 'Hammer seeks nails to drive home.'] Ouch.
    Last edited by salmoned; November 12, 2010, 09:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• anapuni808
    replied

It's healthy if thats where your beliefs lie - right or left. Anything else is just waffling on one's whole system of values. Thats what forms your viewpoints

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied

Originally posted by matapule View Post
    Quit playing the martyr. If you want to play arbitrary movie themes, I feel I'm part of "the Three Amigos (bump, bump)" whatever political theme YOU want to put me in.

Take control of your life and reallize your own self-actualization (google Maslow's Heirarchy of Needs). Otherwise you are destined to wander through life feeling like the victim.
    You can be in The Three Amigos. I want to be in The Three Stooges. I'm a Victim of Circumstance, Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk, Ruff, Ruff.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-YpzGsO0V0

I don't think it's healthy to just follow the far right or far left point of view. I live my life from the mantra (not martyr) of
    I've looked at life from both sides now.
    From up and down and still somehow.
    It's life's illusions I recall.
    I really don't know life at all.
    Whoever sang that song. She must be a saint.

Leave a comment:

• bjd392
    replied

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Are conservatives ashamed of being conservative in their views? For the most part, I doubt it.
    I'm not, but the mapped thread shows I'm more in the middle, both left/right and up/down. I identify myself with conservative values even though I hold socially liberal ideals.

As one example of how things cross out, I support death penalty (Right) but I also support abortion (traditionally left) which equals "middle" mathematically.

Fiscally, I'm conservative, since I prefer limited government touching my hard-earned money. And no, I 100% disagree with sharing what I rightfully earned with people who didn't do anything to deserve it. I give to the economy by being a good tipper to my favorite waitresses at restaurants
    Last edited by bjd392; November 11, 2010, 07:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• matapule
    replied

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
    Mahalo. If I may ask, what are some other useful Tongan words? Hoaloha is friend in Hawaiian.
    Malo'e lelei (hello, good day)
    Malo 'aupito (thank you very much)
    mahalo (perhaps)
    oiaue (oh my goodness, oiy ya WEH)
    palangi (European, foreigner)
    Oku i'fe oe falemalolo? (where is the toilet?)
    matapule (talking chief, speaks on behalf of the noble, mah tah POO leh)
    Matapule, okuke ngahi oe tu'umama'o! (Matapule, you are full of bull!)

And to keep this on topic, these words are the same for Tongans whether they are left or right.....handed.

Leave a comment:

• Kalalau
    replied

Mahalo. If I may ask, what are some other useful Tongan words? Hoaloha is friend in Hawaiian.

Leave a comment:

• matapule
    replied

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
    I can't find Kaume'a in any of the dictionaries, could you please define it? Thanks
    Tongan for "friends."

Leave a comment:

• 1stwahine
    replied

Dang. I was nosy. I should have stayed out.

This thread makes me SAD.

I'm sorry Aaron.

Auntie Lynn

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    I wouldn't say the word comrade instead of words such as friend or buddy.
    If you follow my posting style, you'll know that I choose my words deliberately, with clear knowledge of their power.

Leave a comment:

• Kalalau
    replied

I can't find Kaume'a in any of the dictionaries, could you please define it? Thanks

Leave a comment:

• matapule
    replied

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    I feel like I'm in The Dirty Dozen.
    Only you, WO, can put yourslf in "the Dirty Dozen", no one else can. Quit playing the martyr. If you want to play arbitrary movie themes, I feel I'm part of "the Three Amigos (bump, bump)" whatever political theme YOU want to put me in.

Take control of your life and reallize your own self-actualization (google Maslow's Heirarchy of Needs). Otherwise you are destined to wander through life feeling like the victim.

That'll be 5 cents for my advice.

And, BTW,

In America, a private company can foreclose on your house without reading the paperwork
    In America, the Government can wiretap your phone without proper cause or court order
    In America, we can ignore the Geneva Conventions that we signed and torture prisoners........but no other nation should
    In America, we can invade a nation (Iraq) with a manufactured excuse (WMDs)

AND IN AMERICA WE ARE FREE TO POST ON THE INTERNET WHATEVER OUR OPINION MIGHT BE INCLUDING CALLING SOMEONE COMRADE, BUDDY, OR KAUME'A
    Last edited by matapule; November 11, 2010, 02:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X