Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hawaii Geek Meet IV - HawaiiThreads Turns Seven!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Geek Meet IV - HawaiiThreads Turns Seven!

Hard to believe, but HawaiiThreads.com has been around for seven years. And, as has been the tradition for the past three years, I'd like to invite my fellow HT veterans to celebrate at the fourth annual Hawaii Geek Meet. It's taking place on Sunday, April 17 at Magic Island from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

There will be astronomers with their telescopes, ham radio operators with their gear, LEGO builders with their LEGO blocks, Star Wars fans with their Storm Trooper uniforms, and many, many, many other geeks from many, many, many stripes. It's a family friendly event that, to a large extent, hopes to get people out of the house and out into the sun.

Which isn't to say we won't have some electricity and wireless Internet access for some on-site tech tinkering!

It's a potluck event, but you don't have to bring food for 100 people, just a dozen or so... and each year, we tend to end up with too much food!

I hope you'll be able to join us!

Re: Hawaii Geek Meet - HawaiiThreads Turns Seven!

Seven Years? Wow! I remember my first HT Picnic. And the picnic I first introduced P.K. Then the combination of HGM/HT Picnic. Fun indeed! Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Hawww man! I always come to Honolulu for several weekends, and the one that I don't plan on going is when the Geek Meet happens!
      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
        Hawww man! I always come to Honolulu for several weekends...
        What's her name?
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          What's her name?
          LOL...how'd you know? Working on it...

I tried to add you on facebook...you can see her there.
          Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

This is only the fourth? I feel like I've somehow been to three of these. Or maybe that was some other geek picnic..
            Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
            Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

If this is the fourth, why wouldn't it make sense that you've been to three of these? Is it because of KawaiiKon?
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Wish I could be there. Will there be live streaming so we can be there in our hearts?
                http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

It was more of an "I've been around that long?" kind of revelation. Or I guess I thought there had been picnics before me.

Well now I -have- to go. Records to uphold and whatnot.

Comment

Re: Hawaii Geek Meet IV - HawaiiThreads Turns Seven!

I tried to get some Geocachers interested, but got no good responses. Sorry.
                    Now I find out that I have to work that day during daytime. Sorry I'll miss it too.
                    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

No worries, we'll have a few independent geocachers there to spread the word.

If you haven't visited the official Hawaii Geek Meet website, several great groups are coming on Sunday!

New additions include "Team Hawaii," the UH entry into the national Solar Decathlon. They're building an all-solar home; HiCapacity, a new local group focused on building electronics; the International Game Developers Association - Hawaii/Honolulu chapter, or at least the beginnings of one; and AquacultureHub, a local community focused on aquaculture and aquaponics.

This is on top of familiar friends and faces, including the UH Institute for Astronomy; LEAHI, the local LEGO builders club; "Pacific Outpost 501st Legion," a local Star Wars and fandom costumers guild; the Emergency Amateur Radio Club, ham radio operators with an awesome setup; TechHui, a local science and tech community; and more.

There'll be members from the local iPad User Group, the local Apple/Mac user group, various photography fans, and, and other cool folks. Including, of course, HawaiiThreads.com, one of the longest-running Hawaii-focused message boards!

Comment

Shoots, if Sophielynette's going, then I -have- to go too! Hey Soph, need a ride?
                        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

It's coming! The 4th annual Hawaii Geek Meet (a.k.a. the HawaiiThreads 7th Anniversary Picnic!) is this Sunday at Magic Island, Picnic Area #40. The location is the same as in years past, along the marina/Diamond Head edge of the peninsula, about halfway in. Here's a map with a pin indicating the approximate spot:

http://goo.gl/maps/vFIi

Our event runs from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., officially, but of course we've always suggested showing up early for setup. This year, logistics is complicated a bit by a 5K half marathon beginning and ending at the park the same morning:

http://j.mp/wahine5k

The run is from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m., but will probably impact parking and park access. Fortunately the busiest part of the run will probably be the dawn start, dissipating from then, and by late morning things should be manageable. Still, please plan ahead, and bring an extra serving of patience.

If you are bringing a tent or other equipment (and we do love equipment -- gadgets, toys, gear, displays, etc.), as you stake out your spot, please help us create an open, "L" shape facing the parking lot to encourage mixing and mingling. We will have only a limited amount of power and sporadic Wi-Fi available via mobile hotspots, so if you also have your own resources available, we'd recommend having them on hand just in case.

For the potluck, we've encouraged individuals to bring food for about 10 people, but of course groups can coordinate their own spread and be concerned mostly about feeding group members. We will try to have a designated open food and beverage tent, if you'd like to be part of it!

Please take advantage of this event as an opportunity to reconnect with your own colleagues, friends, and family, as well as to meet new people. Past Geek Meets have always resulted in wonderful, often unexpected collaborations and partnerships. Make sure you have business cards or flyers available!

Here is a list of some of the other participants (besides HawaiiThreads.com) -- not counting dozens of 'independent' individuals from science, tech, media, and academia that will be there:

- UH Institute for Astronomy
                          - LEGO Enthusiasts Association of Hawaii (LEAHI)
                          - Emergency Amateur Radio Club
                          - Pacific Outpost of the 501st Legion
                          - HiCapacity (Electronics Hacking)
                          - International Game Developers Association - Honolulu Chapter
                          - Team Hawaii 2011 (Solar Decathlon)
                          - HiPad: Hawaii iPad User Group
                          - TechHui.com
                          - Bytemarks
                          - Aquaculture Hub

And we're still waiting to hear back from a couple of other great organizations! Of course, having you there is already a thrill.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me at ryanozawa@gmail.com. On Sunday, if you get lost or need help moving equipment, give me a call at (808) 372-3372.

Mahalo, and see you there!

Comment

Thanks, Helen, for being our permit wrangler!

According to the city parks manager at Ala Moana, things should open up by 10 a.m. (not noon or 2 p.m., which has been spotted elsewhere). Those arriving to early to set up should use the Atkinson entrance and let the attendant know you're there to drop off gear for another permitted event.

Call me at 808-372-3372 if you need assistance!

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                              Shoots, if Sophielynette's going, then I -have- to go too! Hey Soph, need a ride?
                              Turtlegirl, it's been forever! I think I'm set in the transportation department, thanks, but I'll definitely see you there!

Comment

Working...
                              X