X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron Whitfield
    replied
    Re: Are we pau with HT?

Nah, there's still tons of free net news, making me wonder why anybody would pay.
    But then that one-time impossibility of actually buying bottled water went right down the drain, din'it?

Leave a comment:

• Amati
    replied

Another reason comes to my mind as perhaps why there might be less postings of new threads. I used to read quite a few online newspapers, and occasionally pull an idea for a new thread, or gain some background information so that I could post on an ongoing thread. But now, many online newspapers require a subscription.

Does having less access to free internet news cut down on thread ideas?

Leave a comment:

• Ron Whitfield
    replied

Hey, I remember potato!

Wassamatta, where was you?

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
    It's like a thread that starts : "you know that one time when"
    and you open it, and it just says something nonsensical, like, potato...
    Oh, I am SO going to steal that idea, TATT ... it resonates with the surrealist in me.

Leave a comment:

• TATTRAT
    replied

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    I swear, that drives me BONKERS.

Could anyone create a more vague thread??

It's like a thread that starts : "you know that one time when"

and you open it, and it just says something nonsensical, like, potato...

wtf, mang.

Leave a comment:

• Menehune Man
    replied

Not pau, not yet!
    Folks just need to share their thoughts on Hawai'i... the good, the bad, and the ugly.
    And then I believe that there will be a resurgence of vitality here.

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    There have been a plethora, over the past few years but especially in the past several months, of new posts with titles that mean very little to me and with NO information in the body of the post to explain what the heck the title is about.
    Right on cue:
    http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=20165

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

It should probably be pointed out that some of us have been here since 2004, which means we've been through kind of a lot. I'm honestly talked-out on several topics, and grouchy about others. In the early years, the daily post-count was huge not only because FB hadn't yet come to dominance and Twitter hadn't yet been born, but because we were a new community of disparate thinkers, and there was a lot of unmined conversational ground.

And I mean no disrespect when I say that many of us strove toward a certain standard of clear communication--and of quality posting--that was modeled by the moderators and administrator and upheld by a larger number of us than currently posts with regularity. I still love HT, and I still drop in several times every day, but I find (a) that I have less to share, (b) that I am less interested in most of the new posts but can't think of anything better to contribute, and (c) that I enjoy far fewer of the posts I do read.

There have been a plethora, over the past few years but especially in the past several months, of new posts with titles that mean very little to me and with NO information in the body of the post to explain what the heck the title is about. In some cases a cryptic sentence precedes an external link with no explanation. I don't click those because I expect an original post to give me enough information to decide if I am interested in a link (which used to be the expected behavior here); I dislike being expected to click a link and then decide if I'm interested in commenting. But I can't complain because I'm not posting anything better.

As helen and Mike say, these things come and go in waves.

Leave a comment:

• lensperson
    replied

This is the only place I ever share my thoughts.
    Although I don't post everyday I try to entertain or throw some ideas into the arena.

I am not interested in arguing , or being a motormouth (sometimes I am).

Thoughts are like rainfall, they pool up and then overflow with useful water.

Quality, not quantity is what counts.
    Only a handful of intrepid individuals landed at South Point , so long ago.

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied

Originally posted by Amati View Post
    I'm still around.

Please don't anyone take this as the [re]start of an old topic, but sometimes the grumpiness (OK, rudeness) shown by some posters chases people away.
    I'm not a fan of the replies to a posting. The last time I rolled my eyes at someone was as small kid time. I was whack upside me head and told not to do that again by a grownup. Grownup men don't roll their eyes when another man is speaking. It's a girl thang to roll their eyes or click their tongue. As Stephen A.Smith would say to Skip Bayless,"Don't be disrespectful."

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    > Walkoff Balk's evolving style of humor
    But, I was called out by a poster as posting cliche and tired type of humor. So, I did how survey works by multiplying that one criticism as representing many viewers who feel the same way.

Leave a comment:

• Merely Malihini
    replied

Oh I hope not. I just noticed I changed to "student" status now so it is just now this mainlander is ready to try to come up with legit questions and stuff like that.

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
    Messageboards have become sort of like an online speakeasy for the loyal patrons...
    I like that analogy. If I had a regular bar/hangout, I'd be happy to just see a handful of the regulars there when I visit, no need for the place to be packed all the time.
    Originally posted by Amati View Post
    ... sometimes the grumpiness (OK, rudeness) shown by some posters chases people away.
    Folks might also notice that several of us who used to fuss at each other appear to have made peace, and are more aware of our own contributions to past troubles.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Whitfield
    replied

OK, so minus a handful of current posters who havn't commented yet, we've got the core base of HT'ers all together in this thread, about a dozen and most rarely start a thread. Now, I don't tweet and hate doing facebook so I don't know if those revolve mostly around friendships or ever include 'strangers'. I seriously doubt this site will be closed within 10 years, but the meaning of the thread was if we done making it a viable forum that brings together people that would otherwise never interact and make it worth more than merely cliques yakking amongst themselves about little of substance. In my short years as a member it has never slowed down this much or had less worth in postings, it truly seems we've run out of gas. We're not as even close to being unfriendly as most forums are, so those who've run away with that as an excuse must be thinskinned to a high degree. This forum represents high value to my mind and should be rocking, where else is there a good natured, potentially interesting and useful local forum as we have here? It's not like we've used up all the topics, and we know many people lurk, but they're not contributing. Why would anybody just peek in but not ever say something?

Leave a comment:

• Kaonohi
    replied

Originally posted by mel View Post
    I think the moderators stop by frequently just to check. Admin hasn't said anything about ending HT... so at this time it is highly probable that HT will stay here as it has been since April 2004. In 2 years the board celebrates its 10th. Anyone taking bets it'll still be around?
    As long as the world doesn't end this December 21st, yes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X