X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are we pau with HT?

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    [...]
    Avoid vague postings - no clever/incomplete/not-understandable-at-a-glance thread titles followed by an equally incomprehensible posting, or little more than a link and an encouragement to open it. When you post, think of the rest of us as a busy, distracted audience, and give us a compelling reason to read/link/comment on your thread. Tell us a bit more what you want us to read about; draw us in with detail.[...]
    Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
    as another member of the "base core"- what Leo says works for me too.
    Originally posted by Amati View Post
    I agree 100% with that one, to me a too vague of a posting is the equivalent of no posting at all. At least give us a line or two or three from the article, and a short comment or question. I do not even bother opening a link if I have no clue what it might contain.
    yes...Yes...YES! I agree 100% with each of you. Hmmm...that makes 300%!!! I never click on a link that doesn't have at least a little explanation of what it's about.
    Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    When I do it, I do it purposely, to invite curiosity and reward with a payoff. No like chance..., no like gain.
    Ron...that's just plain rude of you. You've been asked to stop in the past. HT's FAQ asks that you not do that and has been quoted for you. You're a guest in Admin's "house"...not the other way around. It appears to me you're just being defiant and obstinate. "Invite curiosity and reward with a payoff"???

Comment

Rude of me? Well then, that just rude lil ol' me. When can you show was the last time I even did it?
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

When I do it, I do it purposely, to invite curiosity and reward with a payoff. No like chance..., no like gain.
        One problem, Ron, is that the thread-starter's name shows on the thread. I have a sneaky suspicion that many people just won't open any thread that they see you have started, no matter what it's called, because they anticipate frustration based on your posting style. (Present company excluded.) You may say you don't care about that, but then, what audience are you trying to reach with your "reward" for "curiosity"?

Comment

If I'm only posting to a handful of the daring to be dangerous, then that's fine. I know there are some like you describe, and I'm not posting for them. In fact, they don't deserve the reward that rests just beyond the simple pressure of a keypad if that's their attitude. Remember Garden Party? "You can't please everybody, so you've got to please yourself".

Comment

... you've got to please yourself".
            I don't believe "pleasing yourself" is really the idea behind a social-media outlet.

It also appears that you have a desire to manipulate other HT participants ("what I have to say is so cool that you'll only be cool yourself if you are willing to take the risk and follow me"), something that will fail to serve you well in this environment.

Comment

Come now, you know that argument falls flat, I'm all about e-partying until left like Custer fighting til the last sword swing in a forum that has become as vital as shouting in space. I'm happy with me, if others aren't, too bad, that's their problem. I grew up in the heart of So. Kal kustom kool when it really mattered and knew the right people, it is part of my DNA. Should some not appreciate my overwhelming coolness... or fear to follow, that's OK. I don't expect much from anybody these days, most are bottomless pits of stale air, so I'll simply put out whatever for the few that want to participate, as I do with the other few forums I visit, just like with my circle of worthy friend's and their understandings about me.

Comment

I think it boils down to a cell phone/facebook society walling itself from all but the comfy familiar and exponential isolation against others. Too many are no longer reaching out and engaging anybody but those within their little circle.
                I don't expect much from anybody these days, most are bottomless pits of stale air, so I'll simply put out whatever for the few that want to participate, as I do with the other few forums I visit, just like with my circle of worthy friend's and their understandings about me.
                I'm trying to follow your thoughts, which is it?
                Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                  I don't believe "pleasing yourself" is really the idea behind a social-media outlet.
                  It think that is best done behind closed doors in private.

Comment

I'm trying to follow your thoughts, which is it?
                    You can lead a horse to the nearest bar, but you can't make him get drunk and dance.
                    I as one can only do for those within the confines that others allow, you know, I'm only the boss of me.

Comment

Ron, if you're so concerned with Ht and its viability - why not try contributing something of value or real interest? something that has some depth or heft? Your choice of subjects often interests only you or is so vague that no one is interested in pursuing it any further than reading your initial post. and it isn't only you who does this with vague posts. and I'm not the only person who is mentioning this so please, nobody needs to attack me. Just let it go, let it rest for a while. HT will survive quite well - its been around for many years and really doesn't seem in any danger of going away. Individual contributors go away, but not HT itself.
                      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

You can lead a horse to the nearest bar, but you can't make him get drunk and dance.
                        I as one can only do for those within the confines that others allow, you know, I'm only the boss of me.
                        Oh I get it now. Thanks, that was helpful and interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                          85% of society surrounds themselves with like-minded people, it's human nature.
                          (to paraphrase Groucho Marx) People who think like I do, bore me.
                          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Well, here's a constructive suggestion, though not necessarily a practical one. Update the forum software to make it easier to post pictures and links to visual representations that will display as images, especially youtube links. After all, that's one of the things we use web forums for, as a way to find, read about, hear, and look at things on the web that friends recommend to us.

The forum at early-retirement.org uses forum software which makes it very easy to refer people to youtube videos with an image that appears in a forum posting. When composing a post, you just put in a link to the youtube video, and when published, the post will have the image. Pretty neat.
                            Greg

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                              Ron, why not try contributing something of value or real interest? something that has some depth or heft? Your choice of subjects often interests only you or is so vague that no one is interested in pursuing it any further than reading your initial post.
                              Are you kidding? I've probably posted more often and more of substance than anyone for the last 2 years. And... yes, I post about things that are of interest and relevance to me, I should post topics that DON'T interest me? And I would know what could possibly interest others, like those who don't even contribute much, or at all? Seriously, where do you come up with this?

Oh I get it now. Thanks, that was helpful and interesting.
                              My job here is done then.

Comment

My job here is done then.
                                Yes indeedie.

I wonder, does this thread illustrate why this site has the activity it recently has?

Comment

Working...
                                X