This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ho, motormouth yeah?

My 2 cents on the matter. If you come across a post that your only reaction to it is to say thank you, it would be best to award reputation to that post instead. If you want to say thank you in the comments text box you can do that too.

Comment

Back in the days when AOL users were the greatest threat to civilized conversation on line, there developed a long list of quintessential "bad posts." I tend to lump them under the "Me Too Post" family. In short, it's really not neccessary to add noise to a conversation to say "Me too!" Or, "LOL, THX!" Or, "Ho, funny, yah?"

If you feel compelled to say something so brief, you can send the author a message directly. But if you just can't resist posting publicly, make it a point to think up and include something else... some other, new contribution to the conversation at hand. Keep the thread going, and help keep it from getting mired in an avalanche of "Me Too Posts" and other off-topic tangents.

My friends and I also have a strong dislike of LOL, the use of "2" to replace "to," and other aberrations of online discourse. This is more a fuddy-duddy issue (kids these days can carry on whole conversations without using a single full word), and a matter of taste, though... especially since I use acronyms like NSFW, IANAL, and FWIW.

And, FWIW, the signal-to-noise issue alone was the primary reason for this kind of online etiquette. But on message boards, and as this thread exhibits, post counts are worn as a badge of honor. Someone who posts lots of "Me Too Posts," then, is conceivably not just wasting bytes, but also trying to inflate their counts.

You will find, though, that this aspect matters to only a small subset of community members, and really, folks are mostly concerned with keeping the signal-to-noise ratio high and preventing topic drift.

Comment

Ryan said it better than I could have... and no, it wasn't me who left that message. Although I was beginning to notice that Fondoo was posting more of those particular kinds of posts.

I also agree with Helen - it's better to show your agreement with reputation points than by bloating your post count.

Comment

The whole post count thing is such a joke,and the fact that saying publicly thank you is put in that box is an even bigger one.Just my .02
          Thank you for bringing me up to speed because I do want to be respectfull to the folks that provide this forum with there time and $$

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            Back in the days when AOL users were the greatest threat to civilized conversation on line, there developed a long list of quintessential "bad posts." I tend to lump them under the "Me Too Post" family. In short, it's really not neccessary to add noise to a conversation to say "Me too!" Or, "LOL, THX!" Or, "Ho, funny, yah?"
            In the Old Days, bandwidth was a much bigger concern -- folks didn't want to waste time on their 1200 baud modems downloading a lengthy quote followed by a "Yes, I agree!" These days, with broadband connections (and threaded conversation software like this) it's not as much of an issue.

If you feel compelled to say something so brief, you can send the author a message directly. But if you just can't resist posting publicly, make it a point to think up and include something else... some other, new contribution to the conversation at hand. Keep the thread going, and help keep it from getting mired in an avalanche of "Me Too Posts" and other off-topic tangents.
            I don't think that brief "me too" statements are all that bad. As scrivener said early on in this thread,
            Originally posted by scrivener
            That's actually why I think "me too" posts should NOT be discouraged here. Someone posts something and if nobody's got anything to say but "me too," if they don't post their "me too," the original poster has no idea whether he or she has contributed anything or not. That "word, brutha" all by itself is encouragement enough for me to keep going, especially if I post something that took a fair amount of thought and time to type up.
            Sure, you can also do it with Reputation points, but that's not a public acknowledgement of your appreciation.

Originally posted by pzarquon
            My friends and I also have a strong dislike of LOL, the use of "2" to replace "to," and other aberrations of online discourse. This is more a fuddy-duddy issue (kids these days can carry on whole conversations without using a single full word), and a matter of taste, though... especially since I use acronyms like NSFW, IANAL, and FWIW.
            I too get annoyed by IM-speak like LOL, GTG, CUL8R, etc., but yeah, it probably is a generational thing.

As for the acronyms, they can be a bit much at times, IYKWIM (AITYD). OTOH sometimes you just gotta tell 'em to RTFM.
            Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; September 21, 2005, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
              These days, with broadband connections (and threaded conversation software like this) it's not as much of an issue.
              Word, brutha.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Ha ha, Scrivener.

Posts of agreement and thanks aren't all bad, okay? We all know, I'm sure, the pain of a brillant new thread idea that absolutely no one responds to. And yes, sometimes someone says something so brilliant, you have to give public props. (Ugh, I said 'props.')

But, c'mon, how hard is it to use that big giant "Reply" box as an opportunity to move things forward again, not just plunk another stake into the same spot? Instead of just, "Me too!" Why not, "Me too! In fact, now that I think about it, I've noticed..."

In the Old Days, bandwidth was a much bigger concern -- folks didn't want to waste time on their 1200 baud modems downloading a lengthy quote followed by a "Yes, I agree!" These days, with broadband connections (and threaded conversation software like this) it's not as much of an issue.
                I know what you're saying, but practically speaking, I respectfully disagree.

Sure, technically, there's no difference these days between a 200k webpage and a 1200k webpage, but I'd still rather not waste time or energy reading through posts that don't offer much substance. Just like quoting five paragraphs just to add a sentence, or even getting an e-mail that's 90 percent old stuff (going on for seemingly miles of > and >> and >>> marks) with one word of reply added in... it's just good practice to reduce clutter.

Comment

Sure, you can also do it with Reputation points, but that's not a public acknowledgement of your appreciation.
                  While I would prefer the private one, I suppose backing it up with a public one would be okay too, however why stop at only one public thank you for the post? Why would the first one to say thank you speak for the entire user base?

I too get annoyed by IM-speak like LOL, GTG, CUL8R, etc., but yeah, it probably is a generational thing. As for the acronyms, they can be a bit much at times, IYKWIM (AITYD). OTOH sometimes you just gotta tell 'em to RTFM.
                  This part I can agree with you here. Of course it's not RTFM but rather RTFF (second F stands for FAQ).

Comment

Originally posted by Fondoo
                    The whole post count thing is such a joke,and the fact that saying publicly thank you is put in that box is an even bigger one.Just my .02
                    Well, I think some of the "me too" posts you've been making lately were pretty stupid. Just my two cents.

But if I were to pop up in every thread and post, "Hey - I think what you just said is pretty stupid," that would just end up pissing off more people here on HT. Strategic shutting of your mouth (or fingers, in this case) goes both ways.

If you're going to contribute something to the discussion, feel free... but please don't clutter things up with pointless drivel.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                      Well, I think some of the "me too" posts you've been making lately were pretty stupid. Just my two cents.

But if I were to pop up in every thread and post, "Hey - I think what you just said is pretty stupid," that would just end up pissing off more people here on HT. Strategic shutting of your mouth (or fingers, in this case) goes both ways.

If you're going to contribute something to the discussion, feel free... but please don't clutter things up with pointless drivel.
                      dude do you think I killed your puppy or something? What an attack for the horrible thank you's and such things I have been "driveling" along those lines,whats really going on hmmmm?
                      anyway some of the responses I have read on this thread have more heart IMO(in my opinion) and you can take your mean spirited response and place it firmly in the place we all have and the sun never shines
                      I am going to post how I feel even if it's just a thank you,and take your chicklet/post count theory and tell it to Fondoo2 who you will no doubt meet very soon

Comment

Originally posted by Fondoo
                        dude do you think I killed your puppy or something? What an attack for the horrible thank you's and such things I have been "driveling" along those lines,whats really going on hmmmm?
                        anyway some of the responses I have read on this thread have more heart IMO(in my opinion) and you can take your mean spirited response and place it firmly in the place we all have and the sun never shines
                        I am going to post how I feel even if it's just a thank you,and take your chicklet/post count theory and tell it to Fondoo2 who you will no doubt meet very soon
                        Dude, that wasn't even an attack. You posted your ".02" and so did I.

If you don't like what I have to say, tough. It's my opinion, and I'm going to put it out there whether you or anyone else likes it or not.

Go ahead and post your thank yous. I'll go ahead and post when I think what you're saying is stupid.

Looking forward to meeting Fondoo2... I'll still be here. Don't worry.

*edit* Ahahahaha... and thanks for the "faak you" on my reputation page. Got a good laugh out of it. Makes me wonder if fondoo2=kahalabrah...
                        Last edited by Palolo Joe; September 21, 2005, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Re: What pisses you off? - Chapter 3

Originally posted by Fondoo2
                          Sorry, Fondoo/Fondoo2. I'm happy to change usernames upon request, but you can't have two IDs on the system, or erase your history with our community. I've merged your accounts, as I've PMed you, and you are now the "new and improved," but still strangely familiar, Fondoo2.

No one says you have to use the Reputation system or pay any attention to post counts or titles if you don't want to.

If you or others have any questions about this, please PM me directly.

FWIW, Palolo Joe didn't say anything others have already said, he just said it more bluntly and directly. Some people think posting just to say "Thank You" is a waste of time and space. Others don't. You asked, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                            *edit* Ahahahaha... and thanks for the "faak you" on my reputation page. Got a good laugh out of it. Makes me wonder if fondoo2=kahalabrah...
                            umm hey bud I reply to you in public and find you unworthy of a personel private message and also have the class to sighn any remarks I make, so look elsware for you IM's of dislike moving on.....
                            Last edited by Fondoo2; September 22, 2005, 08:01 AM.

Comment

That's enough. Keep your personal grudges out of threads.

Comment

"I'm happy to change usernames upon request, but you can't have two IDs on the system,**** or erase your history with our community****

"you from the Guv'ment? My daddy told me to shoot anyone from the Guv'ment...."
                                "No boy I aint from the guvment"
                                "You from the bank then? My daddy told me to shoot anyone from the bank too..."

Dissclaimer;
                                The above posted quote is an attempt at humor and does not reflect the authors true feelings of respect for the admins of this board
                                Last edited by Fondoo2; September 22, 2005, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X