HawaiiThreads Chat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HawaiiThreads Chat?

Why is there no chat room ? Just wondering.........

Turquoise Duck

Re: No chat room here ?

The sister site HawaiiStories has a chat room feature.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
      The sister site HawaiiStories has a chat room feature.
      Helen,

Thanks. Am on my way over there right now.

Da Duck

Comment

I just came from there. It's fun! I talked to myself!

Like finding a new toy!!!!!!

Auntie Lynn
        Last edited by 1stwahine; August 28, 2005, 08:28 PM.
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
          I just came from there. It's fun! I talked to myself!

Like finding a new toy!!!!!!

Auntie Lynn
          I talked to myself too and for once no one answered. Ha !

da Duck

Comment

Chat Feature at HawaiiThreads?

PZ -

I was in contact with someone who knows these boards pretty well and they were mentioning that you might upgrade HT features that would include a "Chat" function.

My two cents....

This Board is great the way it is.... Looking at the costs to add something like that... I'm not real familiar with it...

However, I would say that I'm just happy the way it is now!

Besides... if a "Chat" Feature becomes available....many of us... including me... will not be able to access from work when were not busy!

I love this Board other than that...

Manoa
            Last edited by damontucker; June 5, 2006, 07:25 PM. Reason: cannot speak for everyone

Comment

Re: HT possible upgrade in the works?

I second manoasurfer123's comments. HT is just fine the way it is
              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Me, too. Prefer the boards, don't ever chat.
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I subscribe to the K.I.S.S. theory. And that applies to me...not you, Ryan! I don't wanna learn anything new! I'm just getting the hang of HT!

Comment

Re: Chat Feature at HawaiiThreads?

The question comes up occasionally, but there are no plans to have a "chatroom" here at HawaiiThreads.

HawaiiThreads is a message board, a discussion forum, a place for threaded conversations built with messages that are (ideally, at least) well composed and effectively static (after the edit window passes). Members can participate in current topics regardless of when they're able to get online, and past topics are archived to serve as a searchable resource for members and visitors alike.

A chat room is ethereal, dependent on participants being online together (back in my IRC days, I'd hate conversations that began with, "Oh, you should have been online last night..."), and quite vulnerable to abuse (spammers if you're lucky, flame fests, TROs and libel suits if you're not).

Even with great help, it's a challenge at times cleaning up these forums after a spammer or troll barrels through. You'd have to have considerably more resources and free time to monitor a chat room twenty-four hours a day. Sure you could have disclaimers and warnings and the like, but how much fun is that? In short, "live chat" isn't the kind of experience I'm looking to provide here.

That's not to say I don't see the appeal of a chatroom. Sister site HawaiiStories has a very, very rudimentary chat feature. And I've experimented with various packages (including the one zztype has tested at Walaau.org). It's just that if I ever did contemplate "live chat," it'd be something distinct from HawaiiThreads.

Comment

"HawaiiThreads is a message board" and it works well as a 'chat board' just as it is.
                      as they say:
                      "slow down... dis ain't da mainland"

Comment

You know what I really dislike about IM and chat? That I'm not rude enough to be able to quit the conversation easily. I may need to go cook, go to the bath, go do something else, but I just can't find a simple way to do it.
                        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Chat doesn't appeal to me like forums does. And if you feel the need there is always the chat feature in HawaiiStories.

Comment

I'm probably one of the very few people who has never been in a chat room, has never had the desire to check one out and wouldn't have the slightest idea how to go about it even if I wanted to. I've never even sent a text message from my cell phone...no desire...no idea how to do it! My lack of experience with MySpace is in the MySpace thread!

The Untechie Tutu strikes again!

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                              You know what I really dislike about IM and chat? That I'm not rude enough to be able to quit the conversation easily. I may need to go cook, go to the bath, go do something else, but I just can't find a simple way to do it.
                              peeps do a
                              BRB
                              in that case.
                              not considered rude atoll

Comment

Working...
                              X