Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: An Important Memo to All HT

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
    A PM is a Personal Message between two or whoever is involved in the online conversation. It should remain between said persons ~ professional courtesy and commond sense. To violate it is Plain Ignorance![...]
    PM means PRIVATE Message in HT lingo which equates to Personal. One of the first lessons I learned about the internet was to NEVER post a private message in a public forum without the express permission of the author. This behavior has happened before and it will happen again, human nature being what it is. That doesn't make it right, tho'.

TuNnL...to expect to be cc'd everytime your name is mentioned privately is, well, a bit odd I think. That's a new one on me!

I didn't see the message Fran is accused of writing; the one that seems to have started this fray, so I can't comment on it. But I'm very, very sorry to see Fran and her HT contributions go.

Come back, Fran.

Comment

Re: The "Ignore List"

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
      What I don't get is why people get "angered to a boiling point" over crap that's written on a message board anyway.
      So we can eventually learn how NOT to let it bother us?

Comment

Re: An Important Memo to All HT

Never mind, it's obviously pointless.

Post deleted.
        Last edited by MadAzza; October 6, 2006, 09:17 AM.

Comment

But anyway, thanks for running Fran off.
          Go back and read post #42 before you give any single individual credit for this one.
          Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          TuNnL...to expect to be cc'd everytime your name is mentioned privately
          I never said anything about “every time.” The PM in question is a “call to action” using my screen name. An extreme example of this is Goro Arakawa in the U.S. Senate Race.
          Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          What I don't get is why people get "angered to a boiling point"
          So we can eventually learn how NOT to let it bother us?
          Mahalo nui, Leo, for making lemonade out of lemons. The leo from your waha - pono every time.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Ignore Feature

Do you use the "ignore feature"? I have recently started to use it, and it has made a difference in how much more predictibly enjoyable HT can be for me. Another thread touched upon a similar topic in the past [Where Did All The Nice People Go; http://hawaiithreads.com/showthread....ht=nice+people ]. Anyway, back to this new thread. There are times when HT seems almost too much work .... having to plow through posts from certain poster(s) that I personally don't want to deal with. Of course, I realize that a poster that I want to avoid might be someone elses favorite poster. Which is why I am specifically not mentioning names. Do you utilize the ignore feature?
            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Re: Ignore Feature

I never use the ignore feature. But I'm a pretty open minded person who enjoys all the contributions from all the wonderful people at Hawaii Threads.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I think using the ignore feature is a rather cowardly way of dealing with the very, very diverse personalities we have here on HT. I tend to speak my mind (a lot!) and there are some who don't like that and there are others who can deal with it. I've taken a lot of criticism on HT and some real slams over the past few years. I've also defended myself when I felt it was necessary - and I've walked away from a lot of discussions because I just didn't want to be bothered any longer. No one likes personal attacks and if we all knew each other in "real life", I'm sure we would all be kinder sometimes. But, this is the world as we know it - and some people are just unkind.

of course, I'm probably one of the ones you have on "ignore" so I'm probably just blowing smoke in the wind here.
                Last edited by anapuni808; March 29, 2010, 09:06 PM.
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Is the Ignore Feature the same as virgin ears? So, it could be called the Virgin Eyes Feature.

Comment

I dunno, Helen, from a former moderator's perspective I'd opine that merging two similar threads gives a different impression from locking one of them and linking another. But hey, you're a moderator who gets paid the big bucks to make those decisions.

To get back (sort of) to the original question:
                    http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...882#post253882
                    Do you use the "ignore feature"? I have recently started to use it, and it has made a difference in how much more predictibly enjoyable HT can be for me. Another thread touched upon a similar topic in the past [Where Did All The Nice People Go; http://hawaiithreads.com/showthread....ht=nice+people ]. Anyway, back to this new thread. There are times when HT seems almost too much work .... having to plow through posts from certain poster(s) that I personally don't want to deal with. Of course, I realize that a poster that I want to avoid might be someone elses favorite poster. Which is why I am specifically not mentioning names. Do you utilize the ignore feature?
                    Yes, I use it often (when it's available), and I think it's one of the vBulletin features that tremendously improves a discussion board-- as well as a moderator's workload.

I have a dozen poster's names on my "Ignore Poster" list. It compresses the posts that I'd have to scroll past to "visually" ignore, and it avoids getting sucked into the distracting volleying personal seemingly endless bickering arguments debates engaged in by some posters. It's funny to watch Abbott & Costello for a few minutes, but not when they're on all day repeating the same skits and you can't mute the volume.

I give posters about 20-30 posts before deciding whether to put their name on my list. I may rarely "View Post" when their post causes a dramatic reaction that's not clear from context, but there's hardly ever a need to use "View Post". I've never seen a reason to take a poster off the "Ignore Poster" list, although sometimes the names come off when a vBulletin poster is subsequently banned.

On other boards (perhaps with less aloha) the "Ignore Poster" list is a voting tool similar to Craigslist's post-flagging. Admins & mods can use it to justify decisions about a poster's restrictions or even their continued presence. Yeah, I know, a banned poster can always sign back on under another ID, but admins/mods can track that via IP address (yeah, yeah, I know that can be circumvented too). If a banned "new" poster is following the rules under their new ID (even if the mods can tell it's a banned poster's IP address) then they have a fresh start and the board has a better environment. So I think that the "Ignore Poster" list helps improve behavior and make the board a better place.

Is an "Ignore Poster" list polite? Heck, no, it's a social & behavioral necessity! When someone's making a nuisance of themselves in public, the others around them turn away or avoid eye contact-- or maybe even call for security. If an attendee at a family picnic gets out of hand, the host or an authority-figure relative will take them aside for a quiet chat while the other picnickers change the subject and pretend that the other dialogue is not taking place. If a member of the audience is misbehaving at a sports event or a theater performance, everyone around them tries to ignore their behavior ("don't encourage them") while hoping that ushers/security will take care of them quickly. An "Ignore Poster" list serves the same social purpose. I suspect that even Miss Manners would despairingly acknowledge the need for "Ignore Poster" lists on discussion boards.

I may not enjoy having to put up with disturbances, let alone deal with a bouncer or a security guard in a public place, but the system helps keep those places enjoyable for everyone.

One of the reasons that I stopped moderating a discussion board was because of burnout at having to repetitively deal with the same bad behavior (in some cases from the same posters). Banning (on that board) was a tool used sparingly, and being a moderator who wasn't able to "Ignore" those posters made the whole thing a job instead of an enjoyment. How ironic for a board devoted to retirement... and the board became more enjoyable when I was able to use the "Ignore Poster" list. That board has nearly 10,000 posters, at least 100 regulars, and I have 39 names on my "Ignore Poster" list. About half of them have been subsequently banned, I think, but that board doesn't publicly discuss who's banned or penalized.

I've watched several boards get turned into ghost towns because of trolling or "naked posts" posters or one-topic zealots or thread bombers or conspiracy mavens or various other annoying behaviors. One board shut down specifically because of a notorious (unbanned) troll, and Bogleheads.org was created because Morningstar.com didn't (or wouldn't) moderate a particularly persistent and long-winded troll on their Vanguard Diehards board. Neither of those boards had an "Ignore Poster" feature.

When a board goes bad I've often been able to find a replacement board, but rarely an equivalent one. I don't think Hawaii Threads is easily duplicated and I'm happy to have any tool at my disposal to help keep it going.

"[/soapbox]".
                    Last edited by Nords; March 30, 2010, 06:25 AM.
                    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

All right, my attempt to start a new thread ended in that one being closed, and this one being brought back to life. Out the window goes my poll. Here is what I wrote in the closed thread (for those of you who don't want to be jumping back and forth to see what I was trying to say):
                      [By the way, I tried to do a search for the topic of "Ignore List" before starting a new thread, but I guess I just have not gotten the hang of how to do an adequate search ... either nothing showed up, or else pages of threads showed up in the results. ]

Comment

You might miss some words of wisdom from ignored posters.

Comment

Having been on several message boards since the first conveniences of AOL, and moderating others, sometimes the members themselves over time develop a clique that make it increasingly difficult for new members. A group of people will be so involved in their own world that when a fresh poster contributes something new, different, controversial or thought-provoking, the responses are usually less constructive by the actual veteran groupmembers.

I know in a couple topics, I can have huge disagreements with one particular member, but in a different topic we see eye to eye. If people are too quick to punch the ignore button, they will miss positive contributions.

Someone's opinion and contribution will more than likely not change once they post it; unfortunately, many members will always poke at it, so much so that they even choose to insult the screen name of the contributor. If someone's legitimate post offends you that badly that you have to lower yourself to exchange insults on the internet, you have successfully trolled yourself by a non-troll. A message board is not a religion, so there shouldn't be anyone trying to convert someone else's opinion just because they don't believe it.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                            Absolutely true. But, more practically, I don't want to have to chew my way through a jar of sour gumballs just in case a sweet one is mixed in there somewhere.
                            I can tell you this much, my exercise in using the ignore feature lately has resulted in what, for me, has been a much more pleasant journey in HT-land.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                              Originally posted by Amati View Post
                              Absolutely true. But, more practically, I don't want to have to chew my way through a jar of sour gumballs just in case a sweet one is mixed in there somewhere.
                              I can tell you this much, my exercise in using the ignore feature lately has resulted in what, for me, has been a much more pleasant journey in HT-land.
                              "There has to be a pony in this pile somewhere!"

An ignored poster may be correct, but the signal/noise ratio is just too low to make it worth the cost of reading their posts.

The list is yet another vBulletin feature for customizing a pleasant user experience.
                              Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                              Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                              We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                              Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

I used to use it primarily to "ignore" spammers - but that's not been much of a problem in the past couple of years.

I also find it a decent tool for self-control.
                                Originally posted by Nords View Post
                                It's funny to watch Abbott & Costello for a few minutes, but not when they're on all day repeating the same skits and you can't mute the volume.
                                I hope I was Lou more often than I was Bud.

(...and the resurgence of this thread makes me miss Maddie...)

Comment

Working...
                                X