Let's Hui! HawaiiThreads Picnic Planning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let's Hui! HawaiiThreads Picnic Planning

I will come under the following conditions.

1. We meet at Aala park. (I would never hang out there...but this would be a great experience)

2. We each bring enough food to not only provide for the HT gathering... but also... bring enough food for 3 other people....to be explained in #3 & #4.

3. We all go home w/out a plate.

4. We give plates out to the homeless in the area when pau.

5. It gets a little more organized and the weather isn't dumping.

How does this sound...?

I'm going to cut and paste this into the homeless thread.

Manoa

P.S. and to be environmentally friendly and parking wise...anyone who shows up with a bus transfer or bus pass get's excused from clean-up (2 hour limit on the bus passes)
    Last edited by damontucker; March 24, 2006, 05:54 PM. Reason: another good idea possibly and enough to feed 3 other people not bring 3 other people

Comment

I hope to stop by but won't know my schedule until a coupla days prior. IF I can be there I'll bring...Tutusue's Tantalizing Phamous Phudge! Gotta see those adorable Ozawa keiki before they hit their teens!

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123

1. We meet at Aala park. (I would never hang out there...but this would be a great experience)

2. We each bring enough food to not only provide for the HT gathering... but also... 3 other people....to be explained in #3 & #4.

3. We all go home w/out a plate.

4. We give plates out to the homeless in the area when pau.

5. It gets a little more organized and the weather isn't dumping.

How does this sound...?
        To me, it sounds a tad preachy, like you're trying to force do-gooder-ism on a social occasion. Yeah, I'm a "do-gooder," too, but I don't like the idea of mixing these two efforts on this occasion.

If you wouldn't "hang out" at Aala Park, is it not unreasonable to demand that others take their children there? I'd rather go to a kid-friendly place for the HT picnic, and do a feed-the-homeless gathering on a separate day.

I like the feed-the-homeless idea, though.

Comment

How does this sound...?
          it sounds like a frikken new yawk accountant paralegal micromanager sounding off. that is how it sounds.

well, don't ask next time.
          Last edited by kimo55; March 24, 2006, 05:48 PM.

Comment

We meet at Aala park. We give plates out to the homeless in the area when pau.
            Utu Langi and his Great bunch of H5 go to Aala Park, I believe daily at 11:00am along with many other locations to serve food and give out clothes and blankets. A good group they be.
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
              To me, it sounds a tad preachy, like you're trying to force do-gooder-ism on a social occasion. Yeah, I'm a "do-gooder," too, but I don't like the idea of mixing these two efforts on this occasion.

If you wouldn't "hang out" at Aala Park, is it not unreasonable to demand that others take their children there? I'd rather go to a kid-friendly place for the HT picnic, and do a feed-the-homeless gathering on a separate day.

I like the feed-the-homeless idea, though.
              Honestly... taking children there and handing out food to the homeless may be one of the best things that I never thought of...

Think of the lessons they could take home with them... Giving... Aloha... etc...
              and then also...

I can hear it now...
              "
              Mommy/Daddy how come they need food?? "I don't want to be like that when I grow up...what can I do to make sure I don't end up like that????"

"Mommy/Daddy... how come we didn't take home plates after the bbq?"

"Mommy/Daddy... I love you and that felt good to give to a stranger"

"Mommy/Daddy... I love you guys for giving me everything I have"

I could go on....

Comment

Our HT Annual Picnic is just that. To bring together members and enjoy a day of Fun. To talk story and get to know each other - whose behind the screen name.

Whatever we do in our personal lives regarding such things as The Homeless Problems is a whole different matter. Our Picnic is for "Us" and our "Ohana!"

Nuff said.

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

[...]I could go on....
                  Ya know what, Manoa? I have to agree with Maddy.

I, too, think exposing children to giving and aloha is a good idea but I feel it's better to separate the HT picnic from any charitable undertaking. Personally, I'd rather see the HT keiki be able to run around, carefree, during one event then, for something like feeding the homeless, allow the parents to explain however they choose to explain so that the kids understand the meaning of that to which they're about to contribute...or, have the choice to not participate at all. If my grandchildren lived here I'd rather see them contribute their time at a more controlled, organized event.

I do like your spirit, tho'.

Comment

The HawaiiThreads.com `ohana has demonstrated its support of community causes, and will continue to do so. If someone spearheads another project, I'm certain the support will be there.

But the HawaiiThreads.com/HawaiiStories hui is really a totally light, indulgent, selfish, happy celebration of ourselves. Of, specifically, this online `ohana. Perhaps as a reward for all of the things each of us do, individually and as a group, for others, I don't see anything wrong with an afternoon of doing nothing but just enjoying each others' company.

As to where...

I personally like Kakaako Waterfront Park for this gathering, unless old timers have a strong, sentimental attachment to Magic Island. There's no beach, but it's still a nice park with green grass, a nice view, and lots of parking.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                      There's no beach, but it's still a nice park with green grass, a nice view, and lots of parking.
                      Kaka'ako has good swimming though, with a breakwater for safety.
                      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Holy cow. Our "birthday" is only ten days away!

Okay. April 9, Kakaako Waterfront Park, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Who's in?

We'll keep it simple. A picnic bench on the water, some food, great conversation. My family has plans in town before and after, so we'll think of it as a long lunch with some friends. As usual, I'm in for rice, paper products, and drinks.

Comment

April 9, Kakaako Waterfront Park, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
                          I'll toast you all from far-away Seattle - that'll be the first weekend day that I can rest.

I'm smack in the middle of a TON of Hawaiian music-related activities in the area --- hula halau perfomances; slack-key concerts (this Friday: Dennis Kamakahi, Cyril Pahinui & George Kahumoku, Jr.); a weekend of workshops with Patrick Landeza, Dennis & David Kamakahi and Bobo Miles; `ukulele practice for a big festival in May; April 7 concert by Jake Shimabukuro; another radio show (April 8 this time) --- sometimes, Seattle really could be another Hawaiian island!

Comment

Okay. April 9, Kakaako Waterfront Park, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Who's in?
                            As of now, I should be able to make it--unless it's still raining. Where exactly in Kakaako Waterfront Park are we meeting?

I'll bring a salad.

Comment

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that I can make it and already bought the fudge ingredients!

Comment

Man, the rain better be pau by then.

As to where, I like the pavillion directly makai of the main park entrance. Head straight back (toward the water) from the main parking lot at the end of Cooke Street, over the hill, and you'll see it. In fact, you can see it in astonishing detail here, courtesy Google Maps and space-age technology.

If we can't get a table there, there are a couple of benches on the right of the path you take to get there.

Comment

Working...
                                X